• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Prolonged aggression

K53

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Katie
I have used this site for info but never posted. I am experienced with birds/reptiles/rodents/exotic fish/tarantulas etc. I worked at a wildlife refuge, was a veterinary technician for ten years and am now a cardiac ICU nurse.
I have had my black capped caique for 18 years, since he was a baby and I was a pre teen. Around age 5 he started having some hormonal behavior, such as fluffing up, trying to regurgitate for me, head bobbing etc. During these times I limited the physical affection and deceased any high fat/ warm foods.. Didnt let him burrow into anything regulated his light/dark cycle etc. Since age five he went in and out of hormonal aggression due to the seasons which I was able to deal with. I gave him space when he needed.
However, when he was around 16-17 years old he just went ballistic. I got injured many times from him "dive bombing" me after being fine all day, he will dive onto my face (yes his wings are clipped for his safety) and go right for my eyes. At this point I am afraid he is going to put me in the hospital or take an eye out.. I don't know if I could continue my career if he were to damage or destroy one of my eyes. When he bites, he grabs, locks on and continues to chew. I can't pry him off Because I am afraid of hurting him, I have to just kind of gently shake until he flies off. I am embarrassed to say this but I am now scared of him. MY HEART IS BROKEN. He has been my best friend and soulmate through all my teen years, new jobs, death of friends and family, new schools.. Sad times and good times he always made me smile. He used to cuddle up under my chin when I would lay down to nap if I was depressed.
This has been going on for over a year. I moved out of my parents home, since as a nurse I can support myself, and I left him there. I visit weekly and sometimes he doesnt attack me( I do not handle him with bare hands ever and must watch with full attention or he will) other times like tonight as soon as I said hi and let him out he went for me, right for the face. Then, when i put him back in his cage and leave, tears in my eyes, he does his sad calls for me (he has noises that are just for me). I feel so guilty because I know I have done things wrong, and know some of it must be my fault. I just wanted some opinions if anyone has any idea when/if this will stop
If it doesn't I plan to get him a large custom cage since he cannot be trusted to just be out.
I am absolutely torn..heartbroken. I hoped this would pass.
He is healthy. He eats his good food as well as the occasional treat, drinks water, plays with toys, no diarrhea not vomiting, he doesn't scream. His feathers are full and vibrant, he grooms himself, and just makes nice little tweets and whistles.
I feel like I have failed him. I knew what could have happened and thought I was able to manage it.
If anyone has any insight or suggestions I am open to them.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I'm so sorry you are going through this. I sadly can relate some - my quaker went from being my friend to flying through the house with the sole intent of attacking me. When I was hiding under my dining room table one day I realize it wasn't a sustainable relationship, and he now lives with my mother in law.

I don't know what his trigger was but I hope you can figure out your bird's! :hug4: Is he bonded with anyone at your parents? Perhaps he sees you as a rival for that person's affections?

Reactions: K53

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
:welcomegroup:

Reactions: K53