• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Prognosis of Leg fractures?

Harlehd

Meeting neighbors
Good day
I'm new here, and I'm so in need for help.
I have a 5 month old lovebird, baby P.
He's so active and social bird, and is only confined to his cage at night. He's the family beloved baby.
Last Friday while he was playing, my sister stepped on him by mistake, he sustained an injury to his left leg, and I noticed it was retracted to his body, and he was unable to move his fingers.
Unfortunately, the vet wasn't available the day of the injury, thus I had to take him to the clinic the next day.
The doctor told me that it is likely a tibial fracture and had it splinted. He also told me that the splint it staying for 1 month.

Now we are in day 5 since the splinting, and he still can't move the fingers as they feel so floppy. They are of normal color.

I'm so concerned for him not being able to regain the function of his leg.
He looks depressed, less active than before and is sleeping most of the time.
And he just keeps on plucking the dressing over it thaf I have to re inforce it daily

So I just wonder, what is the prognosis of such a case, and will the function of his leg return, and if so, when is it expected.

Best Regards

Last edited:

budgieluv3

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Bear (It's a nickname)
Was your vet an avian vet? Or just exotic?
@Zara

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm sorry, but that this isn't an answer we can give. We aren't vets, and, even if we were, we'd need to examine P and see x-rays before we could offer a prognosis. A lot depends on the nature of the fracture, where it is located on the tibia, the complexity of the fracture and many other factors.

If you're concerned, I recommend calling your vet and talking to them.

Harlehd

Meeting neighbors
I'm sorry, but that this isn't an answer we can give. We aren't vets, and, even if we were, we'd need to examine P and see x-rays before we could offer a prognosis. A lot depends on the nature of the fracture, where it is located on the tibia, the complexity of the fracture and many other factors.

If you're concerned, I recommend calling your vet and talking to them.
Unfortunately we have only one trained vet, and he didn't offer xray at all.
Thank you for your reply.