• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Professional carpet cleaning and birds?

Pamela C

Meeting neighbors
Hello All

I have 2 lovebirds and will be moving into a new home in a few weeks (I settle next Friday-Yay!)
Anyway I am due to have the carpets cleaned the same day, the 21st, and then will be officially moving into the house a little over a week later on the 29th. Since the birds will not be IN the house during the cleaning or a week afterwards should it be safe for them? I plan on airing the house out the weekend after carpets are cleaned and then bringing my critters with me when I move in a week later. Any advice would be appeeciated. Thank you!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Don't see a problem if aired out for week. Used carpet cleaning my self in past, couple days of airing out should be fine..best advice, play it by ear. Or rather by nose....if you smell it, so will the birds. Some of those carpet cleaners use a bit strong mixture, just tell them you have birds, and to back down the mixture some. I'm sure they'll comply.

Pamela C

Meeting neighbors
Thank you! I do also have a call into the vet and am going to also let the carpet cleaners know that I don’t want anything strong or a deodoizer. May also keep my birds on the lower level (where there is no carpet) for a little longer even afterwards.

edwardbarn

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
edward barn
In fact, your concerns are entirely justified.
Now many cleaning companies use carpet cleaning products with a strong chemical composition. What in turn harms a person, and what can we say about pets?! I agree that ventilating the room for a week can significantly help in this situation. But I'm too obsessed with the safety of my animals. I understand that a small amount of the substance may remain at the base of the carpet fibers. And no amount of airing will help. And this can be fatal for the birds. I also understand how necessary it is to keep the house clean. And I also use the services of cleaning companies. Before you get a particular service, I carefully discuss all the nuances. In particular, I ask you to use substances for cleaning the carpet in the minimum content of harmful chemicals. I use the services of procarpetrepairs.com.au. For those who need it, I attach their contact number-0480 022 643.

Birdie Mama

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Just had my carpets done about 3 weeks ago and had no problems, actually never had in all the years we’ve had birds.

BUT my cleaner man uses an orange citrus mixture cleaner as it’s organic and has barely if any chemicals in it. For example he has a peroxide mixture for stains that I just used as I spilled a whole cup of coffee with milk. :banghead:

The citrus mixture takes care of it but the peroxide took care of the enzymes in the milk. Stain is completely gone. And no odour except the citrus smell…surprised Bailey did not try to eat the carpet as he loves oranges! :lol:

just ask the company what they are using before finalizing….

BriamGurin

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Briam Gurin
Before cleaning, ask them not to use strong chemicals, I think they will understand.