• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Problems with training Quaker

Cwinneth

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Corinne
Hi everyone,
I’m looking for some advice on how best to work with my Quaker Rio. I adopted him from someone else who could no longer take care of him, and he’s wonderful. However, his previous owner didn’t provide him with any toys or enrichment. All he wants to do is be on me. I’ve provided him with toys which he shows no interest in, so I know I essentially need to teach him how to play . I’ve started clicker training with him and at first it went wonderfully, but in the last few days he has no interest in treats he couldn’t get enough of before. I started simple, just clicking and treating, then we moved onto pointer training. This went well at first. We also do flying practice because I think his previous owner just let him ride around and he has all the grace of a flying loaf of bread.

I had him checked at the vets and was told he’s in good health.

my biggest issue is that although he wants to be on me all the time, all he wants to do is peck if I’m not entertaining him with something else, which is hard at the moment because he’s not responding to treats. He will roam all over me if I let him (I try not to) and just peck away, really trying to get him beak in . I’m assuming it’s because he’s bored, hence why I want to clicker train him and get him playing with toys!

because of his pecking and desire to always be on me, letting him out can be difficult as we just get into a vicious (literally) circle. I want him to have a happy life and lessen his dependence on me. He really is a lovely little bird. I also have two budgies who are very interested in him but he shows no interest in them at all.

apologies for the long essay; I hope what I’ve said makes some sort of sense. Any advice at all would be much appreciated!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
:bump4:

1/2MoonMom

Meeting neighbors
I apologize if this feels like a stupid question for you (since you seem to be in the know!) but what does your bird eat regularly aside from treats and what is its eating schedule?

Also, do you train your bird on an empty stomach? Or long after its last meal?

Tazlima

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
So we know:
1) he wants to be on you and finds your presence rewarding.
2) he also finds pecking/biting to be rewarding in some way. (Otherwise he wouldn't do it).

We can work with that.

What, exactly, do you do when he pecks you?

You said clicker training went well at first. Why is it no longer going well? Is it only because he lost interest in the treats? When you offer a treat, what exactly does he do? (e.g. ignore it? Move away? Take the treat but drop it instead of consuming it? Threaten to bite?)

BirdView

Strolling the yard
I feel this is an innate behavior of a quaker parrot. My Quaker also likes to peck everythings with his beak. On my shoulder he is very nippy and sometimes accidentally bites me. When I get bitten I immediately remove him from my shoulder and it seems he understands what he did was wrong.