• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sharon

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Sharon
Levi is my Linnie. He has always had a very strong personality. He's totally tame and social, but he wanted to be the boss right from day1. He bit a lot in the beginning to get his way...but he has learned that that does not work. He arrived clipped, and I allowed his wings to grow back. I've recently clipped again, as he developed a bad attitude when he was flighted, and was aggressive to everyone except me.
He is a year old so I suppose it could be hormones....:confused:

He seems a very unhappy little guy, lately, no matter what I do. Levi WANTS what he wants when he wants it. I'm beginning to wonder if I can give him what he seems to need. This morning I am very close to trying to rehome him...and I'm not joking! He's screaming in the bird room, I move all the cages out in the living area, he's still screaming... I try the window perches and the play stand...he's still screaming. The ear piercing sound is getting old very fast. It's very similiar to a smoke detector, and the pitch is painful. He screamed for the whole day. He seems to be never content anywhere, and is always jumping off where I've put him! Here's pics of the choices that he has...and still he wants something else! I've been so frustrated for a couple of weeks now. He used to be out a lot, but now, he's confined to his cage a lot of the time. Honestly, I'm ready to give up!

BTW...I'm no longer considering a bigger bird...I've got enough problems as it is!

Attachments

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
well confining him to the cage isnt the answer for sure..you still need to let him have out time etc....it sure sounds like hormones to me...however, there could be an underlying problem...maybe take him to an avian vet for a wellness check to be sure it is nothing physical..it cannot hurt...then if it is not, try calling back to him..if he is screaming...however, it does sound like hormones and there is nothing much you can do about that..however, I am sure someone else will come on who knows more..however, tonight is the opening of the Olympics so it might be a while before you get an answer..please be patient..and those out areas look fantastic to me..

Babybreau

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Tanya
Well he's certainly got lots to do.
I wonder if he's screaming because he was allowed the freedom of flight but now can't. It's too bad that he developed such an attitude when he was flighted. What exactly was he doing? Was he attacking or dive bombing other people/pets? Was he going places you didn't want him to go?
Are you reacting every time he screams?
Is there anyway that he can be allowed out in the bird room and go wherever he wants? I've turned my spare room into a bird room and my fids usually stick to 2 main places but can fly wherever they want within that room. the door is always kept shut.
It very likely could be hormones - he's at that age.
Perhaps someone with more linnie experience will be along to help . I'm sorry you are going through this.
:hug8:

Sharon

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Sharon
Trouble started when he discovered that he could fly. He went into full attack mode with hubby several times...wings spread, beak open. He bites hard, and did bring blood.
He started not staying in any of the play areas, and refusing to stay anywhere. I cannot allow him to be all over the place...it is dangerous for such a small bird. He can't have total freedom in the bird room, as the birds share the room with fish tanks. Levi is VERY inquisitive, and is afraid of nothing. He finds trouble very easily, and he's always supervised when he's out.
I haven't been reacting to his screaming...other than to change where the cages were today. I'm not happy with the birds being in there during the day, as it feels like they're shut away from the daily activity. I'm trying to bring the cages out during the day, and take them back in the evening so the birds can sleep, undisturbed. It is a pain though...

I find that because of the screaming, ánd my refusal to react...he's getting almost no attention....except the little he gets when he quiets. Then I talk to him, and he starts screaming again.

He used to enjoy shoulder time, but now, he just paces from one shoulder to the other. I know it's a mistake, but I haven't been giving him shoulder time either, as he's just so hyper...

How long for hormonal behavior to subside...

Could the fact that he's getting less of me lately be contributing to the problem?

I've always had "rules" and "boundaries" for Levi...Because he's so strong willed, he sometimes objects. I was advised on another forum that birds should not have rules...surely this can't be correct.....:confused:

Jally

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sherry
I find that birds do better with rules and boundaries, just like children. Birds, especially linnies, like routines, consistency. Start a daily routine with him, maybe do breakfast, then have a bath, preening time, have a tv time, then put him in another room for a quiet time, etc.

Joey has free flight because he has a disabled foot so he needs his wings to get away from danger. But, it does get him into trouble so he needs to be strictly supervised and he does have boundaries.

Everyday, Joey gets his fresh food at the same time, his flying time, his tv time, he even has a night time routine which is always the same.

I notice Joey does do a lot of calling, especially when he is flying. It is like he is announcing to the house that, HE IS HERE LOL Just like any other bird, if it is loud in the house, they have to be louder.

Sharon

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Sharon
Well, I'm glad to hear that the rules are a good idea. I was beginning to feel "guilty" and wondering if I've frustrated the little guy. We do have a routine...all the birds here basically have the same routine. Breakfast, then out time for 3-4hours, back to cages for lunch and naps, and whatever they want to do... There used to be another out time after supper, but I haven't been strictly following that lately...because I am usually so fed up with Levi's screaming that I just leave them in the bird room, and look forward to their bedtime. :o:

WenM

Real Name
Wendy
Perhaps you should think about clicker training with him. This gives the bird something to concentrate on and pour all that energy into. High energy, figity birds seem to really excell at clicker training and tasks. Initially, the noise the clicker makes catches their attention and followed by a treat or praise, wow, you can accomplish a lot when they catch on. You can use it only for behavior modification but I found that when my Mango (RIP) got JUST like Levi - we had a complete 180 degree turn around when clicker training started and Mango LIVED for training sessions after that. He even began to make the clicker noise because he loved the training so much. It's really great for channelling all of that energy, it's great bonding time for the two of you and it really distracts them from all those funky hormones that rage inside. Find yourself a good book or website with a beginner set of tasks for him. Try it out, what do you have to lose?

Babybreau

Real Name
Tanya
ooooh FAB idea Wendy!! Clicker training would work wonders for him I bet and it give you 2 more 1 on 1 bonding time.

Sharon

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Sharon
Thanks...sounds good! I have nothing to lose!

Brigidt36

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
You've been given a lot of good advice and I sure hope it works out for you. Since you are no longer allowing shoulder time, I'm also guessing that he misses that physical one on one time with you. Hormones are a bear to get through. I don't know anything about hormones for Linnies, but my zon has hormonal issues from January thru March (sometimes a bit earlier and sometimes lasts a bit longer). I try to keep the same daily routine of having breakfast on the playstands, out of cage playtime and clean up before I leave for work. They are out most of the days I am off work. I do try to mix up their schedules every once in awhile so if something comes up that throws their schedules off they don't freak out too much. Good luck, Sharon. I know it can be frustrating, but hopefully you will find something that works for both of you.

Sharon

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Sharon
I'm actually going to go back to shoulder time...I know he really enjoys it, and I've been depriving him of it, because it's easier for me. I've just got to wait for a time when he's quiet, and do it then, rather than when he's screaming.

Jally

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sherry
That sounds good. Seriously, that one little thing that he is missing, might be the whole entire reason for the behaviors.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
The first few seasons of hormones are always the worst because because both you and the bird are confused and frustrated. They do get better in time but you just have to tough it out for the first few. His frustration will also be greater because you did take "flight" away from him and he knows it. My suggestion to you is to give him a secure place (bird room) where he "can" do whatever he wants without worrying about what he is into. Birds are designed and programmed to fly hundreds of miles per day. Asking them to spend all their time in one place is torturous to them and very frustrating. Toys are great but they become boring very quickly. A bird needs a job to do and that job is foraging for food. Once they find it they must work to get it. Feeding them from a bowl is not the best way to do it.

They do not scream for no reason. You need to figure out the reason behind it to get a handle on it. Please read these articles to give you insight into the various reasons they do and how to handle them.

Sam Foster. Vocalizations 1
Sam Foster. Vocalizations 2
Sam Foster. Vocalizations 3

Status
Not open for further replies.