• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Problem with parrot's leg

ledale

Moving in
Hello!

We noticed something on our parrot's leg. She doesn't feel well these days and we noticed this things on both legs.
Could someone help us what are these and how we could help her?

Thank you!
Adél and Sarolta :) 20230117_134853.jpg 20230117_135025.jpg

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
how old is your sweetheart? What has been fed to her?
There is big connection with diet abd development of this .

ledale

Moving in
how old is your sweetheart? What has been fed to her?
There is big connection with diet abd development of this .
She always gets some millet, sunflower seed, a kind of seed mix for small parrots. We always cut them fresh apple and carrot too. And also give them some chickweed. And we hang a millet thing up and a kind of fruity and seeds hanger for parrots. And she also has fresh water. And sometimes we put vitamins in her water too.
We unfornatelly don't know exactly how old she is, but we think she's around two years old.

Kiwi's Dad

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
I found this article in a thread about this
Gout
I would definitely schedule a vet visit :)

Cockatoo-Dust

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Skylar
it looks like your lil baby definitely needs a diet switch! i would definitely cut the sunflower seeds and millet from the regular diet, only use those for training as they are very high in fat and can and do cause liver problems and things such as gout. do your birds fly? what type of perches are in the cage?

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
What they were fed as babies is also important. For such young ones to have issues , I wouldn't be surprised if an improper formula or feeding was used

ledale

Moving in
What they were fed as babies is also important. For such young ones to have issues , I wouldn't be surprised if an improper formula or feeding was used
We unfortunately don't know what she got as a baby. We received her a year ago, so that's why we don't know more and exact informations. :/

ledale

Moving in
it looks like your lil baby definitely needs a diet switch! i would definitely cut the sunflower seeds and millet from the regular diet, only use those for training as they are very high in fat and can and do cause liver problems and things such as gout. do your birds fly? what type of perches are in the cage?
Thank you! And what would you recommend instead of those? We also have other parrots too, and they're doing fine. So we'd like to change in this case to be sure everyone will stay fine.
They have space to fly and also kind of wooden sticks to sit. This girl just doesn't really move and we started to get worried so we placed her in an other smaller cage, if its something infectious.
The others are flying and running around a lot too.

Cockatoo-Dust

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Skylar
if you mean wooden sticks like dowels, i would switch those out with natural branches to avoid what's known as bumblefoot, it can look similar to what your gal has happening.

as for food i reccomend fresh fruit and veg daily and pellets as well! pellets contain a lot more nutrients and a lot less fat than seed. its good they have room to fly! definitely keep an eye on the others and possibly take a look at their feet if you can

ledale

Moving in
if you mean wooden sticks like dowels, i would switch those out with natural branches to avoid what's known as bumblefoot, it can look similar to what your gal has happening.

as for food i reccomend fresh fruit and veg daily and pellets as well! pellets contain a lot more nutrients and a lot less fat than seed. its good they have room to fly! definitely keep an eye on the others and possibly take a look at their feet if you can
Alright, thank you so much! :)