• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Probiotics ?

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have seen probiotics mentioned a few times on a number of threads didnt really know what they where with regards to parrots after a google my understanding is that it is a bacteria that is found naturally in the gut of a parrot.

Whilst i am very green in the keeping of parrots i am pretty cynical when it comes to things like this " Snake Oil " having kept a reeftank for a number of years i have seen all sorts of claims add this it will do this :banghead:

Would appreciate any feedback on probiotics and links to subsantiated info on probiotics .

Thanks in advance Col

javi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JAVI
If your pet is on antibiotics that is when probiotics are absolutely needed. A baby handfed from day one would benefit from it. Also a bird that is in very poor health could benefit from a probiotic. A healthy bird should have no need for it, but always good idea to keep on hand.

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If your pet is on antibiotics that is when probiotics are absolutely needed. A baby handfed from day one would benefit from it. Also a bird that is in very poor health could benefit from a probiotic. A healthy bird should have no need for it, but always good idea to keep on hand.
Appreciate the reply but would like to understand the rationale of your reply

javi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JAVI
An antibiotic will kill all bacteria in the system including the beneficial. A baby handfed from day one will not have gotten any beneficial bacteria from the parents crop. A stressed unhealthy may have also lost all the beneficial bacteria. That beneficial bacteria is what gets the GI tract moving. It helps digest the food and absorb the nutrients. It also helps form the stool. So adding a probiotic helps jump start the beneficial bacteria so the system stays working.

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
An antibiotic will kill all bacteria in the system including the beneficial. A baby handfed from day one will not have gotten any beneficial bacteria from the parents crop. A stressed unhealthy may have also lost all the beneficial bacteria. That beneficial bacteria is what gets the GI tract moving. It helps digest the food and absorb the nutrients. It also helps form the stool. So adding a probiotic helps jump start the beneficial bacteria so the system stays working.
dont suppose you have any internet links about this so i can read a bit more about there use ?

nice one for replying

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
This thread about probiotics is going on right now, why not pop in and read it.
Maybe ask a question or two.

LarryBird

Meeting neighbors
Vendor
Real Name
Diana
Larry Bird's vet was one of the country's leading avian vets (the vet sadly passed away from COVID last year) and he "prescribed" AviCulture to Larry Bird. AviCulture is a powder that we keep refrigerated.

A pinch of it gets sprinkled on his food every day and his poops generally look nice a normal. It's definitely noticeably helpful when Larry Bird is on antibiotics.

If you get a good quality bird probiotic (maybe recommended by an avian vet), it's not snake oil. :)

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
When we say reliable sources, we generally exclude those who sell a product from being reliable. Of course, the obvious snake oil salesmen are excluded.

Here is information on probiotics from a veterinary clinic - almost always a reliable and accurate source.

Watch dates on the information you use. It may be old and out dated by newer information.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Quite a few brands include probiotics in their baby bird formula. I know your birds are not chicks anymore, but just wanted to add for anyone else reading and wondering, if you have a chick that is just out of the shell and going to be handfed, then it´s important to check with the manufacturer instructions what is and is not included in that specific formula so that you know what to add and what is not needed.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
How much time you got :D Just from a quick Google Search