• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Probably very newbie question ... but I rather know now than caused more regrets ... (sad update #5)

tiancai

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
na
We have some mata putehs (see image) and 2 of them loves to interact with us.

Mountain-White-Eye-Bird.jpg

We're the kind who doesn't know what's good for the birds except for what we read online. We hand fed our birds daily (just a few small pieces of fruits) 1 to 5 times a day.
One of the bird became picky in his eating habits. He hates his seeds, partially because we got him from a friend and he ate different seeds previously plus of course he gets fruits daily.

We sleep late at night so the birds gets affected by our TV sound. But soon get used to them but still they will get awoken when there is a sudden louder sound.
The picky birds starts to fall really sick recently. I noticed he couldn't see so well from a month or 2 ago and now, he can't even stay balanced. His fur are in a mess and he sleeps a lot.

I was told by a friend that I caused him to be malnutrition by feeding him too much fruits. I really don't know. Is it wrong to handfeed birds?
Will they die of too much fruits when fruits are part of their natural diet?

I feel bad for once again, another bird suffered under me (us). I stopped handfeeding any bird in my household now. In fact I stopped months back ...
Can anyone give me advise on how to care for bird ? like any advises?

I have a cockatiel who needs a lot of attention and now I'm quite afraid to "pamper" her anymore ...
I don't know if my stupidity will harm her again. But she screams for attention a lot and we just go there and talk to her for a while.
We used to give her some apple and biscuits which she love. Now we don't dare to give her anything except the seeds.

Any experts can help me with this? Thanks.

Spearmint

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
Birds can overload on fruit sugars, vegetables are a vital part of their diet too. I would highly advise taking your ill birds to an avian vet, and ask for their advice.

BluJay

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jay [he/him]
I agree with @Spearmint. Based on what you are telling us the mata putehs need to see an avian vet. Diet alone may not be an issue here and we can't determine what exactly is going on. I'm sorry your birds not feeling well, I do hope you seek a vet. Especially since songbirds need to be seen as soon as possible. They will be able to give you the proper nutrition information for them and determine if there is any underlying illness.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Beautiful little birds.

Diet and nutrition plays big role in supporting health and immunity. Are there pellets made for them,? Online it says insect, nectar, fruit. In nature they will eat many more things than just fruit Same as you can search, I've no experience myself with them . Are there local enthusiast, or breeders that could help?

But the symptoms need to be figured out as mentioned by the members above. To determine what treatment is needed . As it could be bacterial, yeast, or parasite... symptoms can all seen the same. So s veterinarian needs to exam and test.

Maybe we have members with more knowledge and experience with them and they will offer more.

We do have lots of folks with cockatiel tho! They will definitely weigh in .

tiancai

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
na
Birds can overload on fruit sugars, vegetables are a vital part of their diet too. I would highly advise taking your ill birds to an avian vet, and ask for their advice.
I agree with @Spearmint. Based on what you are telling us the mata putehs need to see an avian vet. Diet alone may not be an issue here and we can't determine what exactly is going on. I'm sorry your birds not feeling well, I do hope you seek a vet. Especially since songbirds need to be seen as soon as possible. They will be able to give you the proper nutrition information for them and determine if there is any underlying illness.
Beautiful little birds.

Diet and nutrition plays big role in supporting health and immunity. Are there pellets made for them,? Online it says insect, nectar, fruit. In nature they will eat many more things than just fruit Same as you can search, I've no experience myself with them . Are there local enthusiast, or breeders that could help?

But the symptoms need to be figured out as mentioned by the members above. To determine what treatment is needed . As it could be bacterial, yeast, or parasite... symptoms can all seen the same. So s veterinarian needs to exam and test.

Maybe we have members with more knowledge and experience with them and they will offer more.

We do have lots of folks with cockatiel tho! They will definitely weigh in .
Hi, thanks all for the advises ... but it's a little too late.
The puteh died earlier this morning.

At least he died after he ate his favourite fruit ...
He didn't seems to suffer a lot, which is good to know.

Spearmint

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
Hi, thanks all for the advises ... but it's a little too late.
The puteh died earlier this morning.

At least he died after he ate his favourite fruit ...
He didn't seems to suffer a lot, which is good to know.
Very sorry for your loss, sending love :sorrow:

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
:sad10: I'm so sorry to hear.

You can start a new thread for your cockatiel. To talk diets and tips and just to share .

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:sadhug2: I’m sorry for your loss.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award