• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Privacy Perch Question

Fife3000

Strolling the yard
On finchconnections.com they are selling privacy perches. In an aviary set up, mounting these perches along the wall, would canaries actually use them?

Destiny

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
Possibly. It will depend on your bird's preferences and what other perch options are available.

I have a different style of privacy perch in my aviary and my lady gouldian finches choose to sleep on them most nights. There are many other options, so they must appreciate the added privacy/security of these perches over a more open sleep spot.

20200710_202917.jpg

The budgies are larger and I don't think they can fit their tails into this design. They sleep elsewhere. I only see them on the privacy perches when they are trying to eat the walls. :facepalm:

20210404_141255.jpg

For an aviary, I would recommend offering them many options, including a number of privacy perches located very high up in a secure location appropriate for sleeping. Chances are good that they will be used and appreciated.

Last edited:

Fife3000

Strolling the yard
Possibly. It will depend on your bird's preferences and what other perch options are available.

I have a different style of privacy perch in my aviary and my lady gouldian finches choose to sleep on them most nights. There are many other options, so they must appreciate the addes privacy/security of these perches over a more open sleep spot.

View attachment 388306

The budgies are larger and I don't think they can fit their tails into this design. They sleep elsewhere. I only see them on the privacy perches when they are trying to eat the walls. :facepalm:

View attachment 388307
How sturdy are these perches you are using in this photo. Do they fall apart easy? Thanks

Destiny

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
They are made from rigid plastic and snap together in a modular fashion, so you can have as many or as few as you want in each row. The ones I got are mounted to the ceiling, but that doesn't work in my aviary, so I attached them to a board, then attached the board to the wall.

I haven't had any problem with them falling apart or breaking so far. The birds have not chewed on them and they are easy to clean.

All in all, they are sturdy enough, but probably won't last forever.

If I was so inclined, I might make my own privacy perches, using a dowel and pieces of wood or plastic. I just found it more convenient to purchase a ready-made product. The design is not that difficult to replicate. Just make sure that the top and sides are protected and the perch is short enough that only one bird can fit on each roost.

Fife3000

Strolling the yard
Once my canaries are done breeding, they will get full flight of the bird room. I purchased 40 privacy perches, which I will screw along the upper sides of the walls. While the flight cage is nice to have during the breeding season (to keep birds away from the breeder cages) they are a pain to clean. Having a flight room strategically situated makes it easier to maintain. The floor wipes up! I think my birds are just happier and healthier and fun when they can fly all over. You can see it in their behavior and condition. No worries about obesity. They do become more territorial. Interesting to observe their pecking order. I could go on, but I'm not a good writer.