• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Princess Parrot is limping

Status
Not open for further replies.

son of eevil

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mitch
I have an 18 week old Princess Parrot (male) and he's limping a lot. I believe he's hurt is left leg/claw I had a look and I couldn't see any obvious sign of a breakage or a laceration of any kind. He's not gripping with his claws either, has an obvious hobble when on flat surfaces and has difficulting moving around.

His wings are clipped and I'm wondering if maybe he's fallen and sprained his leg?

Could he possibly have got 1 of his claws caught in the cage and broken a "toe"?

Also worth mentioning that I had a poke and prod and wiggled some of his toes to see if he reacted to it to see if maybe it was a specific "toe" he had damaged, just looking for a reaction of pain or an uncomfortable squawk and I didn't see or hear anything out of him.

Unfortunately it's a public holiday here in Australia so there's not a lot that I can do for him as far as vet care goes today. Given normal circumstances I'd probably have given him a day to see if it fixes itself before taking him to the vet.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Its not unusual for a young bird to sprain a foot or leg in a clumsy baby state. Lower his perches so he wont be inclined to climb up,or just put him a smaller cage or carrier, and watch him. If your still not sure, then a vet call could ease your worries. Good luck and let us know.

son of eevil

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mitch
Its not unusual for a young bird to sprain a foot or leg in a clumsy baby state. Lower his perches so he wont be inclined to climb up,or just put him a smaller cage or carrier, and watch him. If your still not sure, then a vet call could ease your worries. Good luck and let us know.
I have him in a small cage at the moment. Lowering the perches is a good idea.

I can't see that he's done any major damage. So it waiting a day or two to see if he's just sprained it going to be detremental?

He's also eating and drinking fine and he still seems very playful and affectionate so it's not affecting his demeanor at all. I thought a bird in pain would be very iritable/angry/agressive but he's his normal self.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Birds do not show pain or illness because if they do they are driven out of the flock. I would watch him very carefully and if he is still limping, I would take him in. Did you check over his toes to see if there was something wound around them?

Ginger

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Keep a close eye on him for tonight, and see how he is tomorrow. If it is nothing serious, it will just need a few or so days to get better/heal.

son of eevil

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mitch
Birds do not show pain or illness because if they do they are driven out of the flock. I would watch him very carefully and if he is still limping, I would take him in. Did you check over his toes to see if there was something wound around them?

Ginger
I didn't specifically check for it but I didn't notice anything. I have him in a small cage perches are low, toys are few, food and water is plentiful.

His limp seems to have gotten worse, if it's worse or the same tomorrow I'll take him in.

What is a vet going to do exactly if it's not just a sprain? I can't imagine there being too many solutions, if it's broken will they reset it and splint it (what do they use as a splint? a toothpick?), maybe it's dislocated? Can they fix that? Are they more inclined to amputate?

Stevo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Stephen
I didn't specifically check for it but I didn't notice anything. I have him in a small cage perches are low, toys are few, food and water is plentiful.

His limp seems to have gotten worse, if it's worse or the same tomorrow I'll take him in.

What is a vet going to do exactly if it's not just a sprain? I can't imagine there being too many solutions, if it's broken will they reset it and splint it (what do they use as a splint? a toothpick?), maybe it's dislocated? Can they fix that? Are they more inclined to amputate?

They can provide anti-inflammatory and pain medication to help it heal.

son of eevil

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mitch
He still seems more inclined to use a perch rather then stand on the ground, I can only assume this is a good thing.

I'll see how he's doing tomorrow, if it's better I'll leave him be but if it's the same or worse I'll take him in.

son of eevil

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mitch
Got Alex into the vet today, he has a sprained ankle and he got some pain killers.

He's going to he fine, only cost $42AUD so I'm very relieved emotionally ad financially.

Stevo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Stephen
Good news for Alex :D

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
This is good news! Thanks for taking him in and not waiting any longer...the pain meds will help him heal better...:hug8:

son of eevil

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mitch
This is good news! Thanks for taking him in and not waiting any longer...the pain meds will help him heal better...:hug8:
This was all very stressful for me and Alex! He happened to do it on a public holiday so it made everthing very complicated.

I had him in a small cage with low perches and a sheet over whenever he started getting noisy. Which was the hard part he just wanted out and I just wanted to cuddle him but I knew that if I dis he'd get excited and want to run around and probably just make himself worse... It felt terrible!

Renae

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
:hug8: I am so glad Alex is going to be okay. Sending lots of quick healing thoughts his way.

Thugluvgrl187

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Glad that he will be ok :)

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name