• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Prices of Plums

Status
Not open for further replies.

chompie_puppy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
I was just curious about how much Plum-headed Parakeets cost in other countries.

How much would you guys have to pay for one?

I paid $200 for my Clopin.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
They range from about $200-250 from what I have seen.

Matt

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
I had to go google as I don't see many for sale

$475 for a pair in Florida

In Indianapolis there was one that's just a little over 1 yr old hand tame for $150 (that ad was 6 months old though)

Juhi882

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Juhi
they are hard to find here but approx price is around 25-30$ maybe
both my IRN cost me less than 10$ (together)

Sparkles

Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Iskra
depends...if it's a handfed baby or not, for a handfed one around 200$, for one that is raised by its parents not much more than 80$. I paid for my IRN, who wasn't a handfed baby, 100$. IRN's are quite available here, there's only few breeders that have plums here as far as I know.

Compassion

Ripping up the road
Avian Angel
Real Name
Angela
I paid $150 for mine but then I also paid for shipping from Florida to Washington state and then it was more to fly him from Washington to Alaska so about $500 total expenses to get him up here and worth every penny =)

chompie_puppy

Celebirdy of the Month
Thanks for all the information guys! :D Looks like prices vary quite a bit!

Juhi, I wouldn't have thought that Plum-heads were difficult to find in India! I imagined them to be like the Cockatoos in Australia - all over the place and in every second household.

That's crazy how little you paid for Mitthu and Chhotu! Is it still that cheap if you don't convert the amount to dollars (as in, would most people be able to afford IRNs in India?).

Clopin was originally $620 at a pet store. As soon as I saw her I promised myself that I was going to bring her home one day. I visited her for 12 months before the store had a closing down sale and I could afford to buy her. They still wanted quite a lot more for her than $200, but James managed to bargain them down! :D

What followed were weeks and weeks worth of disaster and heartache. Just before I was due to make my final payment on Clopin and bring her home, the pet store owner shut her business down early, took Clopin, and disappeared! :eek:

We didn't have any means of contacting her at all. The shopping mall managers didn't want to give us her contact details because it was a breach of her privacy and they were having trouble themselves trying to track her down (she owed them quite a lot of money).

We persisted and after a couple of weeks we had managed to kick up such a stink that they relented and gave us her email address. We contacted her and by some miracle she replied!

What a nightmare!

Last edited:

Juhi882

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Juhi
Thanks for all the information guys! :D Looks like prices vary quite a bit!

Juhi, I wouldn't have thought that Plum-heads were difficult to find in India! I imagined them to be like the Cockatoos in Australia - all over the place and in every second household.

That's crazy how little you paid for Mitthu and Chhotu! Is it still that cheap if you don't convert the amount to dollars (as in, would most people be able to afford IRNs in India?).

Clopin was originally $620 at a pet store. As soon as I saw her I promised myself that I was going to bring her home one day. I visited her for 12 months before the store had a closing down sale and I could afford to buy her. They still wanted quite a lot more for her than $200, but James managed to bargain them down! :D

What followed were weeks and weeks worth of disaster and heartache. Just before I was due to make my final payment on Clopin and bring her home, the pet store owner shut her business down early, took Clopin, and disappeared! :eek:

We didn't have any means of contacting her at all. The shopping mall managers didn't want to give us her contact details because it was a breach of her privacy and they were having trouble themselves trying to track her down (she owed them quite a lot of money).

We persisted and after a couple of weeks we had managed to kick up such a stink that they relented and gave us her email address. We contacted her and by some miracle she replied!

What a nightmare!

wow that was quite a nightmare you went thru for clopin!! :eek::eek:
how old is clopin? i always thought she's a baby

Plumheads are difficult because of the law protecting them to prevent the illegal trade of these beauiful birds
and IRNs and alex are the most common petbird you'd find here in india
IRNs are "cockatoos" of India :)
i've seen a lot of wild IRNs here also a couple of alex but i've never seen a wild plumhead here. i think they are found in northern parts if india

chompie_puppy

Celebirdy of the Month
Nope, Clopin was in the pet store for 18 months. She already had her adult colours when they got her. I brought Clopin home in October 2008.

So that would make her... :confused:

Almost 4 years old! :D

Wow, I would love to see flocks of wild IRNs! :heart: We should swap houses for a week then you can come and see the wild parrots in Australia and I can go and see the wild parrots in India! :D

Juhi882

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Juhi
That's a great idea!:D
I would love to see too's in the wild
I'll post pictures of some wild irns, there's a flock of wild irns that visit my the back side of my parent's apartment
I think I'll be able to get the pics from my aunt's house who lives nearby :)

Status
Not open for further replies.