• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Pretty had 2 night frights, tail bobbing, not eating

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Hope shes improving, the worst thing you can do is open the cage during a night fright, they can and will fly out and get hurt. When my tiels night fright, even with nightlights on, I turn on the big light and talk to them till they calm down, meanwhile checking them visually for any injuries. Sometimes it takes a few minutes, sometime half an hour or more. I do not remove anyone from the cage unless theyve broken a blood feather , have theyre wing or leg caught in the bars, or any other blood or such is present. I really hope your baby is ok.

penguin

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Pretty has not eaten in 24 hours. It looks she wants to, she will stumble over to food, but will just stand next to it with her mouth open. I cannot hand feed. What should I do?

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
If she hasn't eaten in that long she needs to be gavage fed to keep her strength up. I'm surprised the vet didn't say anything about her not eating :/ if she's getting metacam it's really important that she stays hydrated as well. The feeding will help with that. Will she take hand feeding?

Is there an er vet you can contact? It really sounds like she needs supportive care

Last edited:

Kelli

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Kelli
keep us posted!

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
:hug8:

penguin

Avenue Veteran
The E Vet gave us critical care for her, but she wouldn't take it. She was really sleepy though, and we can go to any of the vets tomorrow should she continue to not eat. She is set up in a hospital cage by our bed, and is sleeping. I have it covered on 3 sides. BF will stay home most of the day tomorrow, and I will be home early afternoon. I am going to try and get some sleep myself, as I work early.

Yoshi&Reza

Real Name
Alyssa
I really hope Pretty shows some improvement tomorrow....thankfully she has good parronts. ;)

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
I hope Pretty is feeling better soon. :hug8: If she isn't eating she may need to stay at the vet's for tube feeding. I hope she starts eating this morning!

SunUp

Avenue Veteran
I hope you wake up to a perky, healing Pretty. :hug8::hug8:

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
Please call your regular vet and get their input. Not eating can become serious in our feathered kiddos. I am wondering why they didn't gavage feed her while she was there :(

lupe

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lupe
How is Pretty doing this morning? I pray she is much, much better..:hug8:

moonchild

Avenue Veteran
Please call your regular vet and get their input. Not eating can become serious in our feathered kiddos. I am wondering why they didn't gavage feed her while she was there :(
This. I hope she is hanging in there! She needs some nourishment and hydration in her ASAP.

penguin

Avenue Veteran
I had to go to work before she was up, but I spoke to my BF and she has taken her meds and eaten this morning. I am so glad! I'm going go our regular vet after work to pick up some hawthorn for her heart, if she takes a turn again, I'll bring her with me. Poor thing has clavamox,Ridzol, metacam, Hawthorn, and critical care (if not eating) to take.

Katy

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Poor things. (You and her!) hope these were all good signs this morning. :hug8::hug8: