• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pretty 8mth old molting

Hermesbird

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Cat
Hi everyone I have a pretty little girl boo she’s 8months old and started molting I believe less then a month ago. She’s sweet and spicy in a cute little ball. She was always friendly with everyone but just recently became aggressive to outside people that aren’t me and my fiancé. So that worries me, maybe it’s cause she molting or just growing into her terrible twos. She’s even gotten more nippier with me and is kind of confusing because I handle her daily with treats training and just cuddles she loves scritches. Any advice would be nice. Hopefully we get past this little moodiness lol

Attachments

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Molting can make birds moody. She's a cutie. :)

Hermesbird

Real Name
Cat
@sunnysmom Thank you! yes that's what I was thinking when she take a nip at me. but im worried about her people skills cause she literally caused my father-in-law to bleed this morning

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
It could be too hormones as you suggested. Did she just attack your father in law or was he trying to interact with her? Obviously, the best thing to do is to try to avoid a bite if you can start to read what the triggers are.

Hermesbird

Real Name
Cat
Did she just attack your father in law or was he trying to interact with her?
He was trying to interact and offered a finger to step up from mine and she lunged and bit him. I want her to be friendly with people like she used to be before she started her molt. but for now I guess better safe then sorry to just handle her myself till after and see what happens.

Meerkat07

Strolling the yard
Yeah be sure to watch out for feathers rising tail fanning weaving side to side thats usually the body language to look out for but it differs per bird so look out for that

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
He was trying to interact and offered a finger to step up from mine and she lunged and bit him. I want her to be friendly with people like she used to be before she started her molt. but for now I guess better safe then sorry to just handle her myself till after and see what happens.
It might have been she was being protective of you too. If you're her "person" then she may have been protecting you or basically saying I don't want to go to him. Perhaps, next time put her down and then see if she will step up for someone else- after you think the molting/moodiness settles a bit.

Hermesbird

Real Name
Cat
If you're her "person" then she may have been protecting you
Yes I was explaining this to my mother in law yesterday. she knows her and seemed in the beginning good then bit her lol. I told her to try at your own risk because she has been fiesty lately lol