• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Preserving home made items

SelahElise

Checking out the neighborhood
Hey y’all! I have been doing a little digging and finding recipes I’d like to make for my growing flock, my only issue is I am the mother of a toddler who is like a sheep herding dog and wants me to be near him at all times. This limits how often I can prepare birdy biscuits and all these awesome treat ideas I’ve seen posted here. I just began my first “trial” tonight and made some cookies for the flock using ground pellets, flax seeds, millet, and a handful of other things..They seem stable enough but I’m just wondering how long I have to use them before they go bad.
Are there any natural preservatives I could add to these baked goods to make them last longer? If I was able to spend one night a month making a huge batch after my son goes to sleep I’d feel so relieved.

Is ascorbic acid bad? I’ve been seeing mixed opinions off of Google. And then I see dozens of articles of making bird treats with unflavored gelatin? How do you guys feel about that?
Thanks in advance!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I just throw them in the freezer to avoid any spoiling :)

SelahElise

I just throw them in the freezer to avoid any spoiling :)
Have you noticed any changing to the texture? My worry about that is moisture causing the biscuits to be too crumbly when unthawed

SeñorBirb

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ella
:welcomeavenue:
You could freeze them, you could also leave it out and see how long it goes without going bad.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Have you noticed any changing to the texture? My worry about that is moisture causing the biscuits to be too crumbly when unthawed
The birds don't usually seem to care ;) Been freezing bird food, bread, treats, etc, for years without issues.

SelahElise

:welcomeavenue:
You could freeze them, you could also leave it out and see how long it goes without going bad.
Yes I have a couple sitting on a bag and wrote down the date they were made, I’ll update when I see mold growing. I even have a journal of all the treats trials I’m doing so I’ll document it there too... earlier I made a batch with dried cranberries I had but I found they were too soft/crumbly...not sure if it was the cranberries or if I added too much peanut butter to the pellet “flour” ratio

SeñorBirb

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ella
I added too much peanut butter t
I wouldn't add peanut butter, it can have aspergillus in it. Aspergillus is a type of mold (it doesn't affect humans) that can make your bird sick.