• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

prescription prices

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
I just need someplace to complain.
Will, my elderly BCC, is on digoxin. The price for his prescription was $45 back in 2014 and 2015, went up to $54 in 2016 and Feb 2017.
I just went to pick up his refill at the pharmacy and it was $158.00.
I think a 300% increase is criminal. I'm sure 299% of it is pure profit for the drug company.
Luckily his dosage is very small so it lasts a long time. For larger animals and humans it would really break the bank.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Sorry but I don't know who to complain to. It's a Monopoly and it should be criminal.

Have you tried seeing if you could use a Good RX or one of those other discount cards? Or ask if there is a generic available?

EllaMay

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
April
What pharmacy is charging you that price? I find that adnormal of a price increase.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Wow..that's a huge increase. Did they switch the manufacturer, switch from generic brand or??? Do you live near a Costco? If so, check out their prices. That's where I get my Bichon's meds and also Scully's allopurinol tablets which I compound.

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
My Vet calls it in to my King Sooper's (Grocery) pharmacy.
It is the same manufacturer and packaging as I've always gotten, and it is also the generic.
I looked on GoodRx and they only seem to offer the pills, not the liquid. I need to look more, the pharmacist said they would accept GoodRx.
I've called CVS and Walgreens and might be able to get it for $20 less but that is hardly significant.
I'm afraid that's the price.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sometimes Costco will special order medications for you.

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
Sometimes Costco will special order medications for you.
A costco is quite a good drive away so I would never shop there. besides, it's just me so I don't buy in bulk like they sell.
it is not a cost savings to pay $75 for a membership, I doubt I'd save that much on one purchase.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
It's very unfortunate and maddening. My dad's prescription went up like triple a while back too. I hope you can find a way to lower the cost significantly

WendyN

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Could you ask the pharmacist why the big price hike? Any chance they made a mistake?
:huh: Probably not ... But I had to ask anyway.
I hope you can find a more reasonable source for next time.

Last edited:

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
@CrazyBirdChick I tried to google about the price increase and that was basically what I found.
Digitalis was mentioned specifically as something that increased in price just because they could.
It's quite a racket they have going.

MiniMacaw

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
I’m sorry you’re facing this crazy price increase. When my dad was still alive he was recovering from cancer and had horrible diabetes and he would pick every payday which meds to get and which he could do without. I found this out too late to help but I was furious with the drug companies when I found out. It would have taken his entire pension check to afford the meds he truly needed

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
@MiniMacaw Thank-you
I'm sorry you and your dad went thru that. I know I'm luckier than many, but still .....it is outrageous how things are.
We had great health insurance when my husband had his terminal cancer. I know of many widows who have been left devastated by the bills.
I am now retired and worry about what prices of everything will do to a fixed income.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Someone is making huge amounts of money on Rx's for the average person. I get my two expensive ones directly from Merk and Phizer for free. You must qualify each year and prove your income is less than $35K per year. The larger pharmaceutical companies have customer assistance programs.