• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Preparing

Elysian

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Sorry I had to get my papers unpacked..

So, they don't have a website. They just had a kind of flier. So maybe a small/hobby outfit? That would be better than a commercialized breeder imo.
I did ask how he weans his birds and he looked at me like I was kind of crazy and said "they wean themselves" so I didn't get the impression they did any force weaning.

The flier basically says "It is James & Anita Hawkins goal to place our sweet baby birds in a forever HOME" then has some stuff about researching your bird.. how to get on their waiting list.. that they will contact you when eggs hatch and you can give a deposit then ($75-$200 depending on bird).
It says "We are a member of our local Chamber. Call them and check me out. Other references are available if you feel the need. If you would like to visit our Aviary, please call ahead"
They are in Wilburton OK.

I am DEFINITELY going to ask for more info when I can, it was kind of too loud and crazy at the bird show to ask many questions. I left them a phone message tonight just to confirm and I'll see if they call me back.

What is a normal price for a BH, does anyone know?
All I've seen is the one for 2k (and the store was somewhat sketchy, and I know for a fact the guy "rehomes" other peoples birds for high prices - recently he had a 14 year old amazon given to him that he was offering for $1900). On the other hand, that guy at least has a physical store and a facebook presence.
And then this one for $950 which is low in comparison but could actually just be more fair. Also if they aren't maintaining a store/website they don't have as much overhead..

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
I got my BH Pionus off of Hoobly. I think I paid $850 or 900 that was several years ago. The people I got him from had a friend who was a small time breeder who had too many babies, at one time, "to be able to hand feed them all properly." So he gave them a couple of chicks to raise.

Mandy84

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Amanda Fuentes

So, they don't have a website. They just had a kind of flier. So maybe a small/hobby outfit? That would be better than a commercialized breeder imo.
I did ask how he weans his birds and he looked at me like I was kind of crazy and said "they wean themselves" so I didn't get the impression they did any force weaning.

The flier basically says "It is James & Anita Hawkins goal to place our sweet baby birds in a forever HOME" then has some stuff about researching your bird.. how to get on their waiting list.. that they will contact you when eggs hatch and you can give a deposit then ($75-$200 depending on bird).
It says "We are a member of our local Chamber. Call them and check me out. Other references are available if you feel the need. If you would like to visit our Aviary, please call ahead"

I am DEFINITELY going to ask for more info when I can, it was kind of too loud and crazy at the bird show to ask many questions. I left them a phone message tonight just to confirm and I'll see if they call me back.

All I've seen is the one for 2k (and the store was somewhat sketchy, and I know for a fact the guy "rehomes" other peoples birds for high prices - recently he had a 14 year old amazon given to him that he was offering for $1900). On the other hand, that guy at least has a physical store and a facebook presence.
And then this one for $950 which is low in comparison but could actually just be more fair. Also if they aren't maintaining a store/website they don't have as much overhead..

Did you end up buying a bird from them or getting anymore information on them? I just sent them a deposit but now I’m questioning whether they’re legit or not.

Mandy84

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Amanda Fuentes
Did you end up buying a bird from them or getting anymore information on them? I just sent them a deposit but now I’m questioning whether they’re legit or not.

Elysian

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
The people in Wilburton?
Nope, not yet.. I should still be on their waiting list but they have not yet called me.. they didn't ask for any money either though.

Tikitiel

Meeting neighbors
I have young pi’s that still didnt ween but i already got thier cage ready the size i would say is 30x30x32 one for each mine are babies but they still like toys such as soft and easily shredded toys yucca wood is best in my eyes foraging toys make ggeat stuff to put in thier cage too

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Bronze wings are really very hard to find. They are not that common & don;t breed that well. Same thing with Hawkheads.
Blue heads are more common.
Prices have gone up alot in the last few years.

Really would have like to have a Bronze wing but have accepted that at my stage in life & the rarity its not be.

Good Luck