• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Preparing for our baby!

CMarshall2

Moving in
Real Name
Cathy
Hello! Excited to be here for all the advice! I have recently put a deposit down on an illiger's macaw baby that is only about 5 weeks old. I will be getting him soon (around a month or less?), he'll be on 2 to 3 formula feedings still when he gets here, so I've been reading all the things.

Not realizing it was normal practice for breeders to clip wings, and after putting down a deposit, I requested unclipped wings, which I was told is going to cost me $300 extra, and the breeder going from saying he will get here on 1-2 feedings a day, to 2-3. Not sure if that's because of the inconvenience of a flighted baby so they're sending him sooner? Anywho, I am up for any articles, suggestions, whatever! I've been reading all kinds of articles on weaning and diet and training. We have a 32x64x70ish inch cage, but I'm open for suggestions on housing him and the right toys and enrichment for his age, plus comfort things for being at his new home. I have a couple avian vets nearby to choose from (Cincinnati Ohio area). And can't wait to share pictures and updates on our new baby when he gets here!

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Illigers are a beautiful bird and not too many people have them. I'm enraged that the breeder is charging you more for an unclipped bird and at the same time not even finishing out the hand feeding.

That all aside, I'm sure you will enjoy your baby and have a friend for many, many years. Diet is not difficult, but of supreme importance for your bird for his health for his entire life. 50-70% pellets ( Pellets for Parrots, a good pellet without sugar or dies and with the appropriate vitamins added most importantly D3 and A); a variety of vegetable including green leafy vegetable like romaine lettuce, Swiss Chard, Kale a few, very few, fruits, nuts (no peanuts) and some carbohydrates. Next most important to a macaw is exercise, best gotten by flying. Regular exercise is critical to their health and mental well being.

When you get your baby, come back and there are many on this forum who can help you with feed, teaching to eat real food and weaning.

CMarshall2

Moving in
Real Name
Cathy
Illigers are a beautiful bird and not too many people have them. I'm enraged that the breeder is charging you more for an unclipped bird and at the same time not even finishing out the hand feeding.

That all aside, I'm sure you will enjoy your baby and have a friend for many, many years. Diet is not difficult, but of supreme importance for your bird for his health for his entire life. 50-70% pellets ( Pellets for Parrots, a good pellet without sugar or dies and with the appropriate vitamins added most importantly D3 and A); a variety of vegetable including green leafy vegetable like romaine lettuce, Swiss Chard, Kale a few, very few, fruits, nuts (no peanuts) and some carbohydrates. Next most important to a macaw is exercise, best gotten by flying. Regular exercise is critical to their health and mental well being.

When you get your baby, come back and there are many on this forum who can help you with feed, teaching to eat real food and weaning.
It is a very odd situation indeed...I'm not sure what to think of it. She said she is as adamant about wing clipping as others are about not clipping because of safety, bonding, and we cant teach them skills like their parents can in the wild...I don't know. I'm glad shes at least giving us the option! I'll just be less nervous when it gets here. We want him or her to get all the flight exercise and skills it needs at this young age.

So many pellet options out there! Thank you for your tips.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue Cathy! :starshower1:
How exciting!

I requested unclipped wings, which I was told is going to cost me $300 extra,
:angry: That is extortion.

I'm enraged that the breeder is charging you more for an unclipped bird and at the same time not even finishing out the hand feeding.
Yea, that´s infuriating and sad at the same time.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I bet if you had said you want flight feathers cut she would have said same thing. Can you get deposit back and move on? Restricting flight goes against the health and confidence of any bird.

CMarshall2

Moving in
Real Name
Cathy
Welcome to the Avenue Cathy! :starshower1:
How exciting!

Thanks! Glad to be here. I love me a good forum :D

My husband and I agree. I'm not happy about it. It's still in our budget, but $300 is food for my family of 5 for over 2 weeks, or a warm house in the winter for a month...but we agreed its worth it that our baby gets to keep his wings fully functional. I'm just trying to be nice. She does have my bird's life and well being in her hands. :shrug:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Welcome to the Avenue :hiya:
:congrats5: on your baby bird!!

CMarshall2

Moving in
Real Name
Cathy
I bet if you had said you want flight feathers cut she would have said same thing. Can you get deposit back and move on? Restricting flight goes against the health and confidence of any bird.
She clips all wings, I could tell because she livestreams her feedings twice a week, which is what prompted me to ask. Her prices are still decent even with the no clipping fee. I'm assuming because she sells them unweaned, and she can handle more babies at once since they aren't flighted. She agreed to not clipping the wings, and I can keep an eye out on the livestreams.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Can I ask who it is? I wish you’d found Shane at Rainbow’s End. He abundance weans and fledges his babies. Is your baby coming from Florida, by any chance?

illigers are neat birds. Feathers grow back.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
So glad breeder agreed not to cut flights. Good luck!

Last edited:

Conure101

Rollerblading along the road
Welcome to the Avenue @CMarshall2! How exciting!
I requested unclipped wings, which I was told is going to cost me $300 extra,
:jawdrop:
I'm enraged that the breeder is charging you more for an unclipped bird and at the same time not even finishing out the hand feeding.
I agree with all of the above. However congrats on your new baby!

CMarshall2

Moving in
Real Name
Cathy
Can I ask who it is? I wish you’d found Shane at Rainbow’s End. He abundance weans and fledges his babies. Is your baby coming from Florida, by any chance?

I didn't specify in the main thread but we are paying to keep the flight feathers so we won't have to worry about it :) I'm a little glad we are getting it early...I have read on abundance weaning and am fully for it so we can wean when he is ready.

CMarshall2

Moving in
Real Name
Cathy

Oh and it's someone in Georgia.

Tvdv96

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tessa
Welcome! :welcomeavenue: can't wait to see pictures and hear all about your new baby! :heart:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome! I'm glad you decided not to let them clip- even thought it's outrageous that they're charging more because of it.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
Welcome

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Welcome to Avian Avenue Cathy! Like others said, we don't see Illigers often. It's really quite shocking regarding the extra fee the breeder is charging for not clipping the baby. Have you ever hand fed before?