• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Preparing for Jade!

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
Try for about the size of one of the slots in an ice cube tray. (Roughly two cubes' worth a day) I hope that made sense.

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Try for about the size of one of the slots in an ice cube tray. (Roughly two cubes' worth a day) I hope that made sense.
I've been bagging it to allow for about 2tbsp a day, I hope that is a good amount!

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
:loveshower:I’m so excited for you, and I’m sure everything will go smoothly considering all the awesome preparations you have made!

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I'm so nervous! In just about 12 hours my home will be entirely different. I suddenly feel like I've forgotten everything I have ever known about birds, like I am woefully unprepared. I hope that I won't fail this little one :unsure1:

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
You didn't fail Chirp, and you certainly as heck wont fail Jade! :) :hug8: So glad you are bringing home a new little one to love! :heart:

JoJo&Loki

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kelly
I'm so nervous! In just about 12 hours my home will be entirely different. I suddenly feel like I've forgotten everything I have ever known about birds, like I am woefully unprepared. I hope that I won't fail this little one :unsure1:
I’m quite confident you will NOT fail Jade. Unless by fail you mean love, spoil and take excellent care of

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Exciting!

I know everyone on AA is desperate for pics, but don't let us pressure you into a photo session if Jade needs some time to settle in. It's a big change for a little bird! We'll all understand if she needs some quiet time to just get a sense of her new home.

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
They sent us home with these two mixes, both are goldenfeast. They said that these mixes are about 15-20 percent of the diet. I put about 1tsp in (to 2tbsp of pellets), and that seems to be what they're going for. Should I let them be for now, or remove the seeds and just put pellets? I think the second one has legumes and peanuts, so I don't think I'll be offering that. The first one has sunflower seeds, which I will be removing.

20200516_153745.jpg 20200516_153742.jpg

JoJo&Loki

Real Name
Kelly
I’m not sure which blends those are, as I offer the GF conure blend, Australian blend and petite Hookbill legume and these aren’t any of those. I do think that GF blends do not have peanuts (but many other types of nuts).
If she’s used to eating this, I’d leave her still have it. They are good seed mixes. Did they tell you which pellets she has been weaned to? If so, are you offering the same type? If they’re different she just may not recognize them as food yet.

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I’m not sure which blends those are, as I offer the GF conure blend, Australian blend and petite Hookbill legume and these aren’t any of those. I do think that GF blends do not have peanuts (but many other types of nuts).
If she’s used to eating this, I’d leave her still have it. They are good seed mixes. Did they tell you which pellets she has been weaned to? If so, are you offering the same type? If they’re different she just may not recognize them as food yet.
Yeah, they said they weaned her onto zupreem fruity cockatiel size, so I'm offering that in addition to a tiny bit of the first seed mix. The second one has all sorts of beans as well as almonds and cashews, I thought raw beans were bad?