• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Preparing for Jade!

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Quick question: can apple be frozen? I'm about to head to the store and I was wondering if i can pick up some apple, cut it and freeze it, or if I should skip it for now.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
It will likely become mushy when it is defrosted, but yes it can be frozen

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
I haven't tried it, personally. In a pinch, I've used unsweetened applesauce for Rupert. He loves it just as much as regular apple.

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I got a boatload of stuff! Kale (2 types), Swiss chard, broccoli, baby carrots, frozen peas, frozen green beans, and unsweetened applesauce. I also snagged some almonds, for the bird, and some plain biscotti and cranberry walnut bread, for me :)

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Okay, I have another question. Of the veggies I bought, is there anything I should I steam? With Chirp, I always left everything raw, but I just recently saw some stuff about how some greens can inhibit calcium absorption unless they're steamed, and now I'm very confused lol. Should I leave everything raw?

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
Okay, I have another question. Of the veggies I bought, is there anything I should I steam? With Chirp, I always left everything raw, but I just recently saw some stuff about how some greens can inhibit calcium absorption unless they're steamed, and now I'm very confused lol. Should I leave everything raw?
My two won't touch greens cooked, steamed, or raw, so I'm not much help there.

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I modified the door to make it safe! I used half-inch egg crate (or sometimes called light diffuser), ziptied in place. There are some spots that need to be dremeled down, but it's looking good! Today we will also drill holes for mounting a perch and for using zip ties for extra security!

20200515_132405.jpg 20200515_132423.jpg

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Loving that little carrier Bee! I thought about one of these for mine, but ended up chickening out. When you drill holes for the perches, are you meaning the perches with the bolts on the end that the nut fastens outside of the cage/carrier?

Can you hear the slurps? :rofl: He is a pig!
Ha haaaa - love that!
I thought I might have heard one slurp, but the rest were overpowered by my speedy flying Ninja birds flying by my head today!

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Loving that little carrier Bee! I thought about one of these for mine, but ended up chickening out. When you drill holes for the perches, are you meaning the perches with the bolts on the end that the nut fastens outside of the cage/carrier?

Ha haaaa - love that!
I thought I might have heard one slurp, but the rest were overpowered by my speedy flying Ninja birds flying by my head today!
Yes! I have one of those rope perches that has bolts and washers on the ends, so I'm gonna use that.

I'm currently making chop! I had to drag out the big food processor with the grate plate.