• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Preparing for Jade!

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
What do the beans look like?

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
What do the beans look like?
Here's a few pics of the mix. Do you spot anything dangerous? I see what I think are chickpeas in there but I'm not sure. I believe they said it was Goldenfeast Hookbill Legume. I sent the store a message asking for the names of the 2 mixes, I'll let you know when they respond.

I just don't want to accidentally give Jade something dangerous, you know? I did what I thought was right with Chirp and look how that turned out. I'm basically a nervous wreck haha.

20200516_182806.jpg 20200516_182748.jpg

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
I don't see anything harmful (I'm not a fan of peanuts). I'm seeing several varieties of peas (green and an offwhite one) and possibly a chickpea or two, in-shell and shelled pumpkin seeds, dried fruit, nuts, coconut, safflower seeds, dried veggies, buckwheat in shell, star anise, wheat berries (I think).

I'm not 100% sure, but the black bean looks like a type of pea. I could be wrong. Most of the things that would be easier to eat soaked/sprouted will just be ignored. I don't know of any bird who would eat a dry legume simply because they're so tough, and probably tasteless as-is.

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I don't see anything harmful (I'm not a fan of peanuts). I'm seeing several varieties of peas (green and an offwhite one) and possibly a chickpea or two, in-shell and shelled pumpkin seeds, dried fruit, nuts, coconut, safflower seeds, dried veggies, buckwheat in shell, star anise, wheat berries (I think).

I'm not 100% sure, but the black bean looks like a type of pea. I could be wrong. Most of the things that would be easier to eat soaked/sprouted will just be ignored. I don't know of any bird who would eat a dry legume simply because they're so tough, and probably tasteless as-is.
Yeah, from that ingredient list is doesn't have peanuts so that's good. I'm not a fan of them either.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Yeah, they said they weaned her onto zupreem fruity cockatiel size, so I'm offering that in addition to a tiny bit of the first seed mix. The second one has all sorts of beans as well as almonds and cashews, I thought raw beans were bad?
Look up the GF Bean Supreme. I will look tomorrow for you at the ingredients on the ones I have.

Some GF has peanuts, mostly the larger bird mixes and they arw usually in the shell.

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Look up the GF Bean Supreme. I will look tomorrow for you at the ingredients on the ones I have.

Some GF has peanuts, mostly the larger bird mixes and they arw usually in the shell.
I found out what mix it is from the bird store- Goldenfeast Central America blend. I screenshotted the ingredients list a few posts up :) No peanuts in this mix, and no raw beans. :)

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Here's a few pics of the mix. Do you spot anything dangerous? I see what I think are chickpeas in there but I'm not sure. I believe they said it was Goldenfeast Hookbill Legume. I sent the store a message asking for the names of the 2 mixes, I'll let you know when they respond.

I just don't want to accidentally give Jade something dangerous, you know? I did what I thought was right with Chirp and look how that turned out. I'm basically a nervous wreck haha.

View attachment 338566 View attachment 338567
Most of what is in this mix mine won't eat... they would pick out the smaller seeds, toss a bunch of the other stuff on the floor. They love dried fruits so they would eat those but I reserve dried fruit for a treat only. Those nuts in there are too big ( you could pull those out and chop them fine... trash the peanuts) None of mine will eat those dried peas or pumpkin seeds or pepitas.... def won't touch the beans because they're hard.

You might try separating the peas and beans and soak them for 15-30 minutes in some hot water and see if she'll try them.

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Most of what is in this mix mine won't eat... they would pick out the smaller seeds, toss a bunch of the other stuff on the floor. They love dried fruits so they would eat those but I reserve dried fruit for a treat only. Those nuts in there are too big ( you could pull those out and chop them fine... trash the peanuts) None of mine will eat those dried peas or pumpkin seeds or pepitas.... def won't touch the beans because they're hard.

You might try separating the peas and beans and soak them for 15-30 minutes in some hot water and see if she'll try them.
Yeah, on the Goldenfeast website they say that mix can be cooked, so maybe I'll try that as a treat.

The other mix is just a standard seed mix, it does have sunflower seeds but I take those out. I wonder, if I sprinkled some on the chop, maybe that would entice Jade to try it?

Tomorrow I'll try offering pellets and chop first, then seeds if Jade won't eat those. They said they weaned her on pellets, so I hope that she still knows what they are and that they are food.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Yeah, on the Goldenfeast website they say that mix can be cooked, so maybe I'll try that as a treat.

The other mix is just a standard seed mix, it does have sunflower seeds but I take those out. I wonder, if I sprinkled some on the chop, maybe that would entice Jade to try it?

Tomorrow I'll try offering pellets and chop first, then seeds if Jade won't eat those. They said they weaned her on pellets, so I hope that she still knows what they are and that they are food.
If she was weaned on the pellets then she knows what they are. Is her water cup next to the cup of pellets? They do like to soak their pellets or drink water with the pellets while they eat them to soften them up. See if she's eating her pellets first and then after a couple of hours offer the chop. Seeds later in the day when you can see she's eaten the other food. I do allow mine to have some sunflower seeds.... just not a lot of them.

Yes, you could sprinkle some seed on top of the chop.

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
If she was weaned on the pellets then she knows what they are. Is her water cup next to the cup of pellets? They do like to soak their pellets or drink water with the pellets while they eat them to soften them up. See if she's eating her pellets first and then after a couple of hours offer the chop. Seeds later in the day when you can see she's eaten the other food. I do allow mine to have some sunflower seeds.... just not a lot of them.

Yes, you could sprinkle some seed on top of the chop.
Yes, the dry food bowl is right next to the water bowl.