• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Preparing for Jade!

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Today I put down a deposit on a GCC, who I have decided to name Jade! So I have about a month until the little one is ready to come home. I have lots to do! I have to wipe down the cage with F10, wipe down all the perches, outfit the cage, and figure out a better setup for upstairs (or The Birdy Play Zone). So I thought maybe some of yall might like to follow along as I prepare for this baby!

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I went to the Bird Zone upstairs, dug out some toys and got some fun foot toys and stuff. I have a nice big 30oz SS bowl they can use for bathing, and I have 3 10oz SS bowls for dry food, water, and fresh food. Also dug out some foraging toys.

Does anyone have one of those big acrylic foraging wheels for their conure? Or are those too big? I think one of those could be fun.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
@Mizzely may have more insight on the foraging wheel. She wrote an article on her website about foraging toys :)

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I just bought 1lb of safflower seeds and 2lbs of sunflower seeds, for treats. I hope this little one likes sunflower seeds! I want to try to expose them to a lot of stuff when they're young so they aren't scared, so there will be lots of positive reinforcement!

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
I am so happy you chose to love another birdy. Jade is going to be one spoiled well loved birdy.

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
It's a bit messy, but the is the Bird Zone as of right now. As yall can see, this is where the bird stuff is!

Lots of work to do- including putting a big set of shelves up, finding space for boings and the like, and decking out the playstands. I'm also maybe going to move the aerogarden up here, although I'm not sure on that one. All the cages are going to go on the shelves to form a Birdie Megaplex. It'll be great!

20200405_004047.jpg

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Hey! Yours looks better than mine; I am jealous!
Wow Bee.... those plants are so healthy and beautiful!
Thank you!:heart: I'm very impressed with them, especially the dill and basil for having survived The Great Chomp, at the gaping maws of one Roxie Stubbins.

I got the shelves broken down, now I just need to take them upstairs and reassemble them.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Thank you!:heart: I'm very impressed with them, especially the dill and basil for having survived The Great Chomp, at the gaping maws of one Roxie Stubbins.

I got the shelves broken down, now I just need to take them upstairs and reassemble them.
I recognized the basil but couldn't tell what the dill was.. what's the plant on the other side of the basil? Roxie... you bad pup you! You're gonna have an awesome upstairs bird room!

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I recognized the basil but couldn't tell what the dill was.. what's the plant on the other side of the basil? Roxie... you bad pup you! You're gonna have an awesome upstairs bird room!
From back to front is dill, basil, and parsley :)

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
That looks great Bee! The only tip I can think of is to position all the top perches in a way they have no way of pooping on the lower perches. That's always been my buggaboo about pre-made stands.

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
More Birdie Megaplex work today! I have a boatload of perches and stuff to clean. And the seeds arrived! I bought 2lbs of sunflower seeds and 1lb of safflower seeds. I stuck all 3 bags in the freezer, the last thing I want is seed moths!