• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Preparation recommendations?

Miss Annamarie

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
I'm going to get her/him on the 10th! (we still have things out looking for possible owners don't worry)
But besides the basics, does anyone have any recommendations to prepare for him/her?
(I shouldn't be excited like I am)

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I don't care if the owners aren't found. That bird was not in good condition and it didn't happen overnight.
Any way you should be excited macaws are wonderful companions and like humans a lot - if treated right.

You need a cage and perches, just a few toys until you find out what he likes. Pellets, veggies and treats (pine nuts, almonds ect. and a macaw mix WITHOUT ANY PEANUTS. I make my own. He may like a very small stuffed toy for awhile until he settles in. My Hank who had been horribly abused before I got him had a tiny stuffed raccoon that he would hug to his chest for hours. The more comfortable he got the less he hugged it.

The very first thing he needs is a trip to the vet and you must quarantine him from any other birds you have for at least 30 days

Matt0071

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Matt
I agree with patience I just got my 2 1/2 year old b&g macaw and working with her building a bond and trust
I have only had her for 4 weeks now and everyday I spend time with her
From first day I brought her home she was obv curious of her new surroundings and would scream for abit for about a few weeks she went through a screaming bit but would only last a few minutes per session lol
That had subsided pretty good and all in all shes a very talkative macaw and the screaming has limited big time
She also sleeps very good at night without making a peep until we wake up :)