• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Premade Cookable Mix Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabby

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Gabriella
I just purchased a whole bunch of Cookable mixes from brands like Bird Street Bistro and Crazy Corn.

My question is: Do you keep the uncooked mix in the freezer until you are ready to cook it?

Katy

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
I don't. I use the bags they come in and make sure it is sealed. If I can't seal it I use an oxo air tight storage jar. But it wouldn't hurt to freeze it. I just don't have the room.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I keep them stored in the bags they came in also, or move them to a tupperware-type container for the larger ones

bicmeister

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Bichlien
i do, but that is because i ordered a big batch once (20lbs) and kept them in an "airtight" food container and ended up getting moth larvae....not fun....so i always freeze.

Momto3boys

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Brandy
Yup, I always store mine in the orignal bags as well, or I will put it in a ziploc bag, it wouldnt hurt to keep it in the freezer though.

Some peoeple buy bulk for their pellets and freeze what they're not using as well.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
I cook it up ahead of time and I will freeze portions and allow them to thaw out in the fridge. Never an issue yet, but I will say I do sprinkle cinnamon over it to assist with any bacterial since cinnamon is good as an anti microbial.

Katy

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
I cook it up ahead of time and I will freeze portions and allow them to thaw out in the fridge. Never an issue yet, but I will say I do sprinkle cinnamon over it to assist with any bacterial since cinnamon is good as an anti microbial.
Thanks for the excellent tip about cinnamon! I didn't know that!

Status
Not open for further replies.