• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Preen gland question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chantilly Lace

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Chantel
So, Paco has a very pronounced preen gland, which I read is common for moluccans. Phoenix and Paco's look similar, with one big tuft of what looks similar to a down feather coming out of the middle of it. Picaso though, has two little, separate tufts of feathers. One coming out of each side of the gland. Is this normal, for them to look different like that? I tried to get a picture, but my camera is not good enough to see the detail. Thanks!

crzybrdldy

Real Name
Patty
Hi Chantel they should look like little wicks I would imagine they could vary from species to species.

As long as they don't look inflammed or like there might be an impaction all should be well. There might be obvious redness as that is where all the tail feathers come from their behinds, but you could tell if the area is red hot to the touch, that would be a cause for concern.

Chantilly Lace

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Chantel
Thank you Patty! Definitely not inflamed or anything, it just doesn't have a nice, thick "wick" like the other two big boys. It is more like two little wicks. I will show my vet on the next exam just to be sure though.

Status
Not open for further replies.