• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Prayers for Percy (Long)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HelenVanessaDavies

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Helen
@ Ginger: It's very frustrating because I chose this breeder specifically because I thought they understood a bird like a cockatoo.
It's nice to hear that Truely had a similar experience, I have no problem waiting for him to be ready to eat all by himself. Yes we do have syringes, I'll try him with those now :) I'll be very careful though.

@Jen: Thank you so much for the suggestions :hug8:

petah

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Peter
Got to love AA! Lots of helpful suggestions and probably save you some $$$ before going to the vet knowing you need to keep hand feeding your baby instead of trying to figure out what is wrong with him!

I am glad Percy is eating the formula! Keep an eye on his weight too (weight before & after feeding) and keep a log :)

HelenVanessaDavies

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Helen
Good plan Peter...now to find a way to weigh him without destroying the scales...

*Update*
The vet gave him a look over, says he's perfectly healthy, obviously the eating is the biggest problem. He's ordered me some more handrear mix, gave me more advice about how to do it all, he also took a blood feather to sex him.
He was a very brave boy, but held my hand on the way home.

Thank you so much everyone, I'll keep you all updated :)

SallyQZ

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Loree
Poor Percy! Like everyone else said, he is definitely too young to be completely weaned. My two galahs didn't wean themselves until they were almost 6 mos old. I offered hand feeding morning and night even after they were eating well on their own. I think if he's crying and looking upset, you should offer handfeedings as often as he asks. Once he understands that food is readily available, he'll relax and start trying more foods and depend less on the handfeeding formula.

One thing that really helped with my galahs during weaning was to let them eat at the table with me. I'd put down a plate with some handfeeding formula on it, plus some chopped up veggies & fruit, scrambled eggs, or mash, and let them eat it if they chose. They'd watch me eating MY breakfast and they'd hop over to sample their foods as well. For my galahs, if they thought it was MY food, they had to try it. I guess that is how they learn in the wild - they watch their flockmates feeding and try it for themselves. To this day, if I have food on my fork, I've also got a galah on my shoulder trying to pick the food off before it gets to my mouth! :rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.