• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Prayers for Percy (Long)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HelenVanessaDavies

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Helen
My poor baby Percy.
I've had him nearly for a week now, I love him to pieces. I noticed when I first got him he was having trouble eating alot of the food, but I figured he might just be unsettled. But I kept noticing he was having troubles, so now he only eats sunflower seeds (considering the breeder told me his diet would ALL be pellets and fruit/veg) because he can't eat anything else :( I went out to work yesterday (I work late afternoons/evenings), Percy was crying and getting upset because he couldnt find any sunflower seeds and was so hungry...so we did some research, turns out, he's TOO YOUNG to be fully weaned, he still tries and eats things as if they were off a spoon, which explains so much and why when I get him out to do training he's so eager to please and scoffs the treats...I got him out this morning, and he was himself very sweet...then he started looking for sunflower seeds and was biting and screaming :( I feel so aweful right now.
We soaked the pellets and chopped up fruit tiny to encourage him to eat this morning...he's having abit but he really just hasn't got the ability to break things down with his beak...

So I'm going to get some rearing mix and got back to a step that he could handle and gradually introduce pellets again (eventually). I love handrearing, don't get me wrong, but when I SPECIFICALLY asked the breeder, about weaning/diet/insurance - he gave very broad answers. I asked for a list of fruit and veg he's used to getting, I got the response "he should eat all food and veg" ... dude you rear so many birds, I don't think I can just put any fruit and veg infront of him and expect him to eat it. He was supposed to be fulled weaned, eating pellets and he comes with pellets and 2 GIANT bags of sunflowers seeds, and he can't break down the pellets. All he can eat is the sunflower seeds so the poor little guy doesn't have much of a choice, I ofcourse cus him fruit and veg and cook carbohydrates for him but he needs the m cut so small but I know he needs the extra nutrition from pellets. I asked for him to be sexed, offered to pay more for it to be done...it wasn't done. They told me which insurance company they use, but that's no good if anything happens, I can't say "he is insured...but I haven't got a clue what policy it is/what it covers".
:mad:

So I took out a new policy just for him that I'm in control of - the best one. I'm just so frustrated and upset...I've been trying so hard to do everything right :cry: and to make sure he's healthy. I'm just so scared that he'll go anorexic and really go down hill if this doesn't get sorted out now. He's becoming increasingly anxious and loud, I have no problem with the noise, but it's the sounds of being upset and hungry not of happiness :sad11:
So I've soaked his pellets, cut up lots of fruit nice and small, given him brown rice and some sunflower seeds in the soaked pelltets to encourage him to taste/accidently taste

We're going to see our avian vet tomorrow :( to talk diet plans, get an overall check over and to get him DNA sexed.

*deep breathes*

It's just so stressful, I see him stressed and so I get stressed, then he knows I'm stressed so gets anxious..it's just such a nasty rut :(

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
He's a baby, he needs handfeeding formula for at least a year. You need to go out now and get some today. If you have any oatmeal, soft sweet or white potatoes cook those up and mix until the consistancy of thin pudding, put it on a spoon and give it to him right away. But you do need to get some handfeeding formula and let HIM tell YOU when he's ready to wean. It took Truely about a year and a half. Put little guy, don't blame yourself, it's the breeder who failed not you.

Ginger

Angelicarboreals

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Angela
Keep us updated and let us know how you do with handfeeding him. My caique (who was weaned when he was sent to me) regressed back to needing comfort feedings when he got home, so I can relate to what you are going through on some level.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
If he is unweaned I wouldn't offer sunflower seeds in any great amounts as it'll encourage him to eat those instead of other healthier foods. You should mainly feed him formula and mash of soak pellets with sweet potatoe blended together. If you make the formula too thin he won't be getting enough nutrients to sustain weight. I would offer it as apple sauce consistency. Make sure its heated (both formula and mash). As Ginger said, feed him until he is full and as often as he wants it. To help encourage (but not force) him to wean, offer him a dish of soaked softened pellets and both cooked and fresh foods mixed with tiny amount of seed and dry pellets. I did this twice a day, about a cup each time for Mera. She weaned on her own at 5months of age. Cockatoos tend to take longer, but keep offering the formula/mash and the fresh stuff. He'll wean on his own when he is ready.

Sparky04

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kiersten
I'm sorry. :( I hope everything works out. :hug8: I've never handfed a bird before, so I'm afraid I can't give any advice. When Afie came home, the breeder said she might need comfort feeding, but she never did. Poor Percy. That breeder sounds awful! :mad:

Bridgette

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bridgette
I'm so sorry. :hug8:

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
I'm moving this to 911 so it gets the attention it needs.

TextsFromParrots

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kristen
I'm so sorry to hear this. :( I hope all is well, I really do. I don't have much advice except for good thoughts and the hope that he'll be just fine. Now that you know I know you'll do everything you can. He's in very good hands.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
go out and buy some handfeeding formula....kaytee if you can...also you can offer baby pablum (made with water) very runny on a spoon and even baby food (I recommend the organic kind) ...you need to do something as he is not getting enough to eat...do it soon!!!!!!

all4stvoyager

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sara
I don't have any advice to give.

It sounds like you've gotten some great suggestions.

I am 100% confident that you can handle this. As you know, our birds react to our emotions, so try to be happy and calm when feeding him :) It will be ok!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am very sorry that this happened. Percy is very lucky that you care so much for him that you picked up on this and are doing the right steps to take care of him.

Matt

Blackford

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tyne
OH my gosh that is awful. Everyone has given great advice, dont blame yourself!! Along with the handfeeding formula and oatmeal, you can offer him his cooked veggies if you put them through a blender/processor (or mash them) and make a mash consistent with baby food.. But by the sounds of it he needs formula for a while...

Thats great news you are heading to your vet
:)

Best wishes and lots of hugs to you and Percy :hug8:

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
Prayers for Percy and:hug8::hug8::hug8:for You

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
I'm so sorry. What an upsetting thing. :hug8:

What did the breeder say about it?!

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
I'm keeping you and Percy in my thoughts and prayers. The advice so far I think would work with most baby birds and I am hoping that Percy will be okay once you start feeding him the mush (sorry for the description) that he needs. You were soo looking forward to Percey's arrival it is sad to find out that the breeder wasn't exactly up front with you. I know you'll do whatever you have to to ensure that Percy is okay. ;)

tammie

Real Name
Tammie
Helen I'm so sorry for you, and I would like to choke any breeder that sells unweaned babies! I make sure mine are weaned and then I don't let them go until another 10 days. On a cockatoo of any kind I would wait about 3 weeks after weaning. IMO 'too are the hardest to wean and then they do the little whining and bobbing thing and that just breaks my heart.

It sounds like you've gotten good advice, I would definitely get some handfeeding formula and I would suggest giving it twice a day for a while so he'll get his weight back up and will feel more confident in general. Between the feedings offer the chopped or mushed things you mentioned and I would warm them just a bit. After warming, stir good so there are no hot spots, and give them to him. It's going to be hard but you can make it through this. Get a good handfeeding formula, and also leave a bowl of dry pellets in his cage too. You'll be able to tell if he's eating the dry pellets, and he'll eventually eat more and more.

If there is anything I can help you with don't hesitate to send me a message. You've got to get that little one fed and growing. :hug8:

HelenVanessaDavies

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Helen
Hiya everyone, thank you so much for the advice and the support. Honestly you don't know how much it's helped.

I got some nice formulae yesterday for him, hopefully I'll get more from the vet today and he really loves it, he was eating it like crazy. I soaked his kaytee pellets and he was starting to try them, he's also getting mashed fruit and veg, which he seems to be eating ..but obviously he needs to make up for the days when he couldn't eat much. For some reason he's very nervous about the spoon, when I put the formulae on it..which is suspicious. Looking back at the e-mails I sent the breeder... here's the response to when I asked how hewas eating before I got him : "They are 12 weeks now and feeding for themselves"
He's feeding for himself...but needs alot of help.

He's been alot friendlier since we gave him the formulae yesterday, I imagine because he's not starving, stepped up and played with my sister last night.

@ Kacy: I mentioned food difficulties to him, the breeder just told me that HE IS eating well in a "matter of fact" kind of way, and was just told to keep an eye on him
@ Kiersten: He's 14 weeks old

We have an appointment with the best Avian vet around at 4.20pm (my time)

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
14 weeks for a Too is an infant. You wouldn't expect and infant to be eating steak and broccoli. :mad: I just don't understand what those breeders think is going to happen. They are setting these babies and their parronts up for failure. You need to feed him every time he begs for food or you will damage his emotional well being. Too's in the wild sometimes don't wean until they are almost two years old. He will tell you when he's ready. Truely went from 3-4 feedings a day when we first got her at 5 months, then weaned herself down to 2-3 then to 1-2 about a year and a half later. (She also was starved unintentionally by her first parents, and is small even now.) Once she started flying she didn't have time for that baby stuff anymore. If he's scared of the spoon, do you have a syringe? Just go slow with it.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
RB2s should wean around 16 weeks or so, but every bird is different. There is the very real possibility that Percy regressed which isn't unusual when moving a young bird into a new home. I do agree that 14 weeks is probably a bit young. It sounds like he's eating the formula which is great. He should also be exploring new foods. Keep offering the formula two to three times a day or any time he cries but also always make available real foods, especially mushy ones like cooked sweet potato and watering down his pellets with a juice will probably help as well. I'm sure your avian vet will also be able to make suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.