• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Prayers for Hope

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Sending out good thoughts...

Nobirby

Jogging around the block
Her egg was much larger than it should have been. They are having to break it to remove it. We are going to talk about bird birth control, but if it means separating them, I don't know if I can do that to them. They are bonded.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Sorry to hear that. I hope the vet can give her a helping hand.
You did good getting her to the vet. Sending positive thoughts your way!
:hug9:

Edit, we posted at the same time, is there not any other options before splitting the pair? :(

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Sending prayers.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I'm terribly sorry about your girl. Separation will do nothing for the egg problem - your girl will have eggs with or without the male. You can have the Dr. give her a suprelorin or deslorelin implant or Lupron. The hormone implants will stop her sexual cycle for 3-6 months. But generally they aren't given to other than a bird that is a chronic layer or has an illness that the hen cannot tolerate the stress of egg laying.

You should talk the subject over with your vet.

Nobirby

Jogging around the block
Well, vet does not want any of them sleeping together. You can guess how well that went over this evening when I put them in four separate cages. This is Beau's first night here not sleeping in his big cage. He spent the last two years in a cage in a rescue, no night cage. I hope he does well. I did put his bed in the new night cage for him.
Hope seems to be feeling better. She bit me for the 1st time when we got home. Cannot say I blame her. I wanted to bite someone after my surgery 15 days ago, still do! Vet gave her a birth control shot.???? We cannot have her trying lay eggs twice the normal size. She honestly looked huge, like she was having twins. I do not want to breed her. But I know egg laying is a part of her nature.
Mostly, I want to protect her from all harm. She and I are the only females in a house with five males!

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Hope she is heals well but as was said they can lay eggs with or without a male around. Only difference is those won;t be fertile but they still can get egg bound from any egg. Personally even with no male they can lay eggs. She can lay them with the male never being near her...True when there is a bonded pair they will want to mate & make eggs but you would have to take the male out of the house as she will hear him & it will make them both unhappy Hope you can figure it out.

Nobirby

Jogging around the block
Hope she is heals well but as was said they can lay eggs with or without a male around. Only difference is those won;t be fertile but they still can get egg bound from any egg. Personally even with no male they can lay eggs. She can lay them with the male never being near her...True when there is a bonded pair they will want to mate & make eggs but you would have to take the male out of the house as she will hear him & it will make them both unhappy Hope you can figure it out.
I know all of that. We are just concerned because the egg has not passed after several days. It had to be removed by the vet. If giving her the shot will stop her from producing huge eggs that could kill her, we will opt for the shot.
They are all in separate cages sleeping soundly, thank God.

Nobirby

Jogging around the block
I'm terribly sorry about your girl. Separation will do nothing for the egg problem - your girl will have eggs with or without the male. You can have the Dr. give her a suprelorin or deslorelin implant or Lupron. The hormone implants will stop her sexual cycle for 3-6 months. But generally they aren't given to other than a bird that is a chronic layer or has an illness that the hen cannot tolerate the stress of egg laying.

You should talk the subject over with your vet.
She did give her a birth control shot and want to see her back in two weeks. The size of the egg is what worries me. It was almost a third the size of her body. She could never have passed it. I would hate for her to go through the stress of today again. The cost? I would pay anything to save her!

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Hugs...eggs are ugh! Yes the shot wears off after two weeks. I can give Giggie her hormone shots because she's nakkie so Dr. O gave me three to take home. They have to be frozen until ready and then you have to warm them in your hand before injection. We are going to try an implant with her as we had the same issue last year...well the last one Dr. O said she just wouldn't lay.

The implant was easier than I thought...big needle to inject it but they numbed the area and then glued the skin back. So far Julip seems great! (knocking on wood)

Can you switch up their area, maybe move the cage around every day to a new spot? Unfortunately with so many, I don't have that option. But the shots do work...just don't miss that two week mark.

Nobirby

Jogging around the block
We jave 4
Hugs...eggs are ugh! Yes the shot wears off after two weeks. I can give Giggie her hormone shots because she's nakkie so Dr. O gave me three to take home. They have to be frozen until ready and then you have to warm them in your hand before injection. We are going to try an implant with her as we had the same issue last year...well the last one Dr. O said she just wouldn't lay.

The implant was easier than I thought...big needle to inject it but they numbed the area and then glued the skin back. So far Julip seems great! (knocking on wood)

Can you switch up their area, maybe move the cage around every day to a new spot? Unfortunately with so many, I don't have that option. But the shots do work...just don't miss that two week mark.
We have four small cages in my sewing room for nighttime. There are four larger cages in my livingroom. Not much else in there. We did talk about hysterectomy if nothing else works, but that in itself is so dangerous.

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
We jave 4

We have four small cages in my sewing room for nighttime. There are four larger cages in my livingroom. Not much else in there. We did talk about hysterectomy if nothing else works, but that in itself is so dangerous.
I think I'd go for the implant first.