• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pray for us all (and especially my finger!)

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
What a character!

SumitaSinh

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He's such a beautiful boy! Can we see your OWA please.

Cndbirdy

Meeting neighbors
I think he believes he's an Exotic Dancer, instead of an Exotic Bird :yca::)
He let me scratch his head last night, and didn't take a chunk.
Because he flies, when we try to get him in the cage, or near the cage.. he flies away and it takes us a good hour of chasing to figure a way to get him in. How did you guys train a baby bird to go in without flying away and having to chase them?

Attachments

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
How adorable (and I'm thankful he's not mine).

Would turning the lights dimmer work to encourage night time?

Cndbirdy

Meeting neighbors
How adorable (and I'm thankful he's not mine).

Would turning the lights dimmer work to encourage night time?
Lol my dad.. who always has been around birds says "this one, I don't like". I really like this little guy, he is naughty, and nippy.. but so funny.

Our house is very large and open. So because I need to keep him away from my other Amazon at the moment, (she absolutely hates him and can't fly.. and he will fly to her each and every time.. plus, quarentine)-. he is in the office on our main floor. Its about 10x10 feet. He has lots of toys and is out the entire day. When I tried to put him in his cage last night I did close the light, clearly I didn't close the door fully and he flew out to the kitchen where the light was on. It was a long time before my husband and I could get him down.

My first Amazon didnt need to be clipped by us, he couldn't fly in the over 20 years we had him. He was already 5 when we got him.
My owa we got during the spring/summer and she came clipped. She is also 10 and very well behaved, so I don't worry if her feathers some in lol.

This is the only baby I had.. and only flighted baby at that. So having some issues lol

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Once you get him on your hand grab a toe and he probably won't be able to pull it away and you can put him in quickly before he freaks out. Most of the time we have to do that with Dobby as he does not want the day out to end. Sometimes he'll wiggle and pull till he yanks it back.
Turning off the lights helps too as eventually he'll roost up to sleep and you can grab him while he's not paying attention and put him in.
Sometimes Dobby is actually tired enough he rides nicely to go to bed or puts himself away.
When he first got here we were chasing him all over the house every night too so he might get better as he gets more settled in your flock and routine.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
He went after my OWA who cannot fly.. and then landed on my back.
Some target training and station training may go a long ways into helping you with your issues with this new baby! Do you know what his favorite treats are? If you don't, try to figure out if there's a fresh/dehydrated fruit, nut or seed he absolutely loves! Then use that to train with! (if possible, figure out 3-5 training treats to keep it interesting!)

You can use station training to teach him to 'stay put', however I would include some foraging activities if he's out of the cage. Give him something to do other than to sit and "do nothing". Keep his mind busy, in other words!

When my husband went to get him off.. he attacked him. Badly.
You can use target training to teach a bird to walk down your arm to your hand or wrist, thus easier to transfer to somewhere else afterwards.

I'm used to Amazon bites and "allowing them to bite"me but I think he crushed my finger. The same finger he happily wanted to go on.. and gave no warning. (No pinning eyes, no spread out tail.. NADA) FROM 0-60 in 2 seconds.
Not recommended.... actually, "allowing the bite" - aka "ignoring the bite" is only teaching a bird that you aren't paying attention and they need to bite harder! If you keep ignoring that behavior, soon they'll stop warning you that they're going to bite and go straight for the bite!

Please, do not ignore a bite! If a bird is biting you, get them off of you! Don't allow the behavior to continue! Instead, work on learning how to read your bird's body language and back off before a bite occurs! Redirect some of that behavior into acceptable behavior. If necessary, take a short time out from the bird before attempting again!

I cannot get him to step up on me.
If he'll step up onto a perch, then reward for staying on that perch. You can do simple step up - reward, step down - reward and repeat in various situations.

He won't go in his cage for me.
If you struggle getting him back into the cage, stop letting him out! Instead, work on target training through the cage bars! And some station training, too! ;) Station training, aka "stay put" can be used to get him to stay in one spot while you service the cage/change the dishes. Target training - THROUGH - the cage bars can help you avoid bites while teaching desired behaviors! So figure out those favorite treats and learn how to reward without getting bitten *AND* train new behaviors through the cage bars! ;) Once you are able to get him to target to *ANY* location within the cage, then you can open up the door and continue training through the open door and around the outside of the cage! From there, you can start training away from the cage!

Target training can be used to get a bird that has flown up high to come down! It can be used to teach a bird to step up, turn around, take medicine and so much more!

He will step up on a bird perch for me.. but will fly away the second you go near the cage.
Can you figure out a foraging toy that he would enjoy playing with? If so, any time he needs to go back in the cage, you can offer that as a foraging opportunity! (along with target training!)

I tried to put food in that he loves so he will go in. Nada.
The food may not be a high enough value for him. Keep trying new foods to see if you can find something of higher value.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
He also loves to rub away with his toy.. dump it, have me retrieve it and thats when he runs away to tge opposite side of his gym, drops it, looks at me and then looks down at it
He has you well trained.. I've worked few zons that is what they do, it not a matter training him or her cuz mom will pick it up and deliver it back to me. Try leaving it and see if he or she picks the toy themselves. It maybe a battle of wills but they pick it up you have won.

SumitaSinh

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Haha, Inca will never going to pick up... Such a lazy birdie :lol: