• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Power outage

Sweet Louise

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
We rarely lose power. First snow of the year (flurries!) and power is out due to weather. I have put Louise in the warmest room in the house and covered her cage with blankets. Power looks not to be restored for 8 hours.
At what room temp should we move out and go for a warm ride until power is back?

Ugh. 14 years here, partial reason chose this neighborhood is that it rarely has outages. 4 times in 14 years, twice this year.

Thank you for any advice

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
It is around 40 degrees Fahrenheit or 4 degrees Celsius from what I have read.

You could put warm water bottles if you have a way to heat the water in the cage. If you have a travel cage or smaller cage for her you could move her to it. Easier to keep a small cage warmer!

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It is around 40 degrees Fahrenheit or 4 degrees Celsius from what I have read.

You could put warm water bottles if you have a way to heat the water in the cage. If you have a travel cage or smaller cage for her you could move her to it. Easier to keep a small cage warmer!
That's what I did for Zazu back in the terrible power outage in Feb here,I put her in her kings travel cage in the bathroom the most inter room in the house and wrapped a thick blanket around her cage and thankfully she did fine.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Oh no!

I hope you get power back soon. It sounds cold :( is there anyone not to far away you could stay with while you wait?

Sweet Louise

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
Oh no!

I hope you get power back soon. It sounds cold :( is there anyone not to far away you could stay with while you wait?
Sorta. I have a friend who would gladly accommodate. I have a herd of dogs, so if it gets cold, I would drop off Louise. My dogs would be too naughty. I don’t have a great plan for a major storm over multiple days … other than leaving. It is so rare that we lose power…