• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Power outage and things to think about...

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Late this morning we had power outage quite a large area. Temperature was in upper 80°'s anf dewpoints in mid 70°'s. Super muggy
If you have lights above your cages and power goes out what your feathered pal/s think about it? Bebe got quite upset. Started flock calling me. I talked to him the way we do, telling him it was ok. I put a small flashlight above his food dish. That was wrong move if anything he got more upset.
It wasn't dark in the apt but too keep whatever coolness I close the blinds. He settled a little bit but seemed quite upset.
In less then 15-20 minutes you could humidity raising in apt. By the time power came back on the temperature had risen a good 10-15 degree. He has been restless all day. I let him out this afternoon and he promptly took a swipe at my nose. STINKER.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Oh no :( I am thankful that Ripley doesn't seem to be phased too much by lighting in general, but he is also used to my smart lights all over the house :lol: So lights frequently come on and off with no one around. The temperature does rise quickly though! We have no AC except window units in the bedroom; I do have a basement and garage that do tend to stay cooler though if needed!

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
By the time power came back on the temperature had risen a good 10-15 degree.
I sound like a broken record, but get a thermometer close to your flock so you know the actual increase (I'm assuming you don't have one because you stated a range).

Without an actual measurement, people are applying their own perception of (dis)comfort and are only guessing about whether their birds have a real problem.

That $5 device can potentially save us from unnecessary cost and worry.

(even if I'm mistaken and you already have one, it might apply to others who stumble into this "things to think about" thread)

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
He does have thermometer and hydrometer on top of his.

MiniMacaw

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
Last night we had our first big desert monsoon storm of the year. Lightening right on top of us, huge thunder, and lots of chaos from the wind and rain. Not one of my macaws in the macaw room let it interrupt their naps lol. They’re surrounded by large windows on every side of the room but one and I keep them curtain free because I like them being able to rise with the sun. They could not care less what was happening outside. The power went out for a bit and the big guys just did their usual playing…in the mostly dark house…and made their usual happy sounds. I think they like the fun of me trying to step around them and refill their dishes in the dark lol. 72ADF088-831A-4C5D-AB5D-E528A7813808.jpeg

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
I wish we would get some rain. My Creek is so driving baby ducks are having to walk to get food from us that feed them.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
We keep an outdoor extension cord & a power inverter to run from the cars after that cold snap a year or so ago (enough to power at least 1 of our ceramic heaters & plan to wheel everybirdy's cages to the same room) but we don't have a plan in place for when it's hot. scratchhead.gif

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Well add a gas leak to your list of things to think about. Our stoves have been shut off since about 6pm last night. There was nasty sulfur smelling rolling down the hallways. Centerpoint energy was out here until 10:30pm. Bebe moved into my room for the night with damp toweling under my entry door and bedroom door closed. Darnable thing they did NOT tell the residents what was going on.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Hope your gas is sorted out soon.
We’ve twice had tiny gas leaks here in the house I live in now and I was literally the only one who could smell it, so glad I didn’t let the others convince me I was crazy and just imagining it.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
I think what ticks me off the most about gas situation is the fact the complex did not see fit to inform the residents. I could smell it more in the hallways. They only check a few stoves not mine and kicked it back on. You know it serious when there is ambulance sitting in front turn around.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
No gas for cooking 24 hours now.