• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pothos?

orphansparrow

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara
I've read a few times that Pothos plants are toxic, for example, here:

Birds & More | Toxic Plant List

But then I found this site that lists them as safe:

List of Safe Plants for Your Bird.

I already got rid of a beloved old Pothos of mine because of something I read, but, what I'm wondering is -

What source for safe and toxic plants is most trusted by you all?

Does anyone know specifically about Pothos?

Thank you!

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I've only seen pothos listed as toxic to birds and dogs (probably kids, too?) but not sure why -what about it causes what symptoms and in whom. :shrug: I just don't bring them home, but that means I've never had a favorite. That must really stink. I'm sorry. :(

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Pothos contains insoluble calcium oxalate.
Here's the info: "Insoluble calcium oxalate-containing plants include several types of common plants, including the Araceae family of plants, Dieffenbachia, Calla lily, Arrowhead, Dumbcane, Peace Lily, Philodendron, Pothos, Umbrella Plant, Elephant’s Ear, Chinese Evergreen, and Schefflera. Chewing or biting into these plant releases the crystals which penetrate tissue resulting in injury. When dogs or cats ingest insoluble calcium oxalate-containing plants, clinical signs may be seen immediately and include pawing at face (secondary to oral pain), drooling, foaming, and vomiting. Moderate to severe swelling of the lips, tongue, oral cavity, and upper airway may also be seen, making it difficult to breathe or swallow. Insoluble calcium oxalate-containing plants have a different mechanism of toxicity than soluble calcium oxalate-containing plants (e.g., star fruit, rhubarb, shamrock)."

Although only cats and dogs listed here it is also toxic for birds.

orphansparrow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara
Thank you guys! I've been super busy with school work lately and am missing many replies on here. Thank you! :grouphug3:

Jwise096

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jordan Wise
Pothos contains insoluble calcium oxalate.
Here's the info: "Insoluble calcium oxalate-containing plants include several types of common plants, including the Araceae family of plants, Dieffenbachia, Calla lily, Arrowhead, Dumbcane, Peace Lily, Philodendron, Pothos, Umbrella Plant, Elephant’s Ear, Chinese Evergreen, and Schefflera. Chewing or biting into these plant releases the crystals which penetrate tissue resulting in injury. When dogs or cats ingest insoluble calcium oxalate-containing plants, clinical signs may be seen immediately and include pawing at face (secondary to oral pain), drooling, foaming, and vomiting. Moderate to severe swelling of the lips, tongue, oral cavity, and upper airway may also be seen, making it difficult to breathe or swallow. Insoluble calcium oxalate-containing plants have a different mechanism of toxicity than soluble calcium oxalate-containing plants (e.g., star fruit, rhubarb, shamrock)."

Although only cats and dogs listed here it is also toxic for birds.
Came on here bc my macaw just tore one of my pothos leaves apart.. what should I do. I am worried now

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month