• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Potentially rehoming pair of cockatiels in WV after bird lung diagnosis

SaffronConure

Moving in
Hi, I have a pair of bonded cockatiels who need a new home lined up asap. My mother has recently had repeated lung infections, and a CT scan has revealed signs of bird lung. I never wanted to be the type of person that rehomes a pet, but it is looking like I won't have a choice. It's absolutely crushing to learn I'm likely going to have to rehome my babies, if anyone could provide them an loving and permanent home please pm me. There is still a chance they might not be the allergen so this won't be an immediate rehome, but in a couple of weeks when we can get a definite diagnosis. I don't want to have to take them to a rescue, I'm afraid they aren't the friendly birds people want and they'll stay there forever or be seperated.

If anyone knows of good rescues around the area, or any other groups I could try posting on, that would also be helpful.

There will be a rehoming fee, but I'm willing to negotiate within reason I just don't want them going to a home that can't afford their care. There toys can come with them and cage if needed. I can also drive a couple states over for a good home. I WILL NOT give them up to anyone without photos of your other birds or pets, vet records, and area where you will keep them. They aren't birds that need or want constant human attention, but they still deserve access to vetrinary care and proper husbandry.

About them:
Zuku is a male lutino cockatiel with no ability to sing, he tries to repeat bird calls but really he only screams. He may hiss and threaten but it's all for show.
Mimi is a female whiteface pearl, she is very quiet the only time i hear her call is when Zuku is in another room. She has yet to lay any eggs or show any sign of interest in breeding.

Both entirely favor harrison's fine pellets, they throw out the majority of anything else. Their favorite toys are the shreddable one's from planet pleasures and seagrasd . They also like to forage for seed in a box if shredded paper. Neither of them were hand raised, but they will climb on and eat out of hands with pellets or seed. They may not love people but they will fly over to see what you're doing sometimes. I think both are fairly young, under 2 years old.
20210214_105929.jpg 20201023_154835.jpg 20210616_202246.jpg 20200620_090637.jpg

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
There is still a chance they might not be the allergen so this won't be an immediate rehome, but in a couple of weeks when we can get a definite diagnosis.
Do you have an air purifier? Maybe that could help if this isn´t the primary cause of the infections.
Cockatiels are quite dusty so an air purifier is always a good idea.

Good luck with the diagnosis, I hope your mum will be ok.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I hope your mom feels better. I don't know where you are in WVA but if you're near Pittsburgh you can contact pearlparrots.com. It's a parrot rescue. All their birds stay in foster homes and they also have a home to home option.

MR. Mango

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
It sounds like u took good care of them, I hope they find a good home!

BirdG1rl

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Mara M.M
I really hope your babies find a good home! :)