• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Potentially lethal foraging toy

Nancy B

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
So sorry about this incident but glad your bird is safe! :wideyed:

Davi

Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Davi
I'm so sorry to hear about this but so glad that Jack survived! As a toy maker, this is a worst-nightmare scenario, so I welcome any feedback about any of my toys. Keeping our fids safe, healthy and happy should be our top priority. Let us know if you hear back from the manufacturer and/or the manager at the store. And thank you so much for letting us all know!

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
What a refreshing meeting.
Both managers were waiting at the door for me to arrive. We walked around the store selecting a few similar toys from the small birds section on the way round while chatting about my birds and experience. Then we went upstairs to the office. Tea all round and a plate of biscuits then we set about doing what birds do - ripping the toys apart. We had scissors because we don't have beaks but we had some real fun in there. The toys we took off the shelves while not being easy to pull apart were made from short strands, certainly not long enough to 'hang' a bird, of tough natural leaf and Fibres. So, while being tough enough to take a good beaking, were short enough to consider safe and easy enough to pull from the bundle. Pretty happy there then.
Then I brought out the last one of these dangerous ones for them to look at. I did nothing, just sat back drinking my tea watching the managers play. They opened it up with the scissors and started trying to pull strands from the bundle. Those that were short enough to come free were fairly easy. Then, just as I hoped, the branch manager pulled a loop, and pulled as far as she could. She had a 9inch loop in her hand, couldn't find the ends and couldn't snap it. The area manager had to pull really hard to snap it. Neither was impressed and my case was proven.
Area manager was straight on a conference call asking all his fellows to withdraw this item and he will be contacting the supplier to see if they'll do a product recall.
Neither of them could apologise enough, for what me and Jack had been through. We sat down with fresh cups of tea and doughnuts and I am now a product tester for their area. Anything new will have to be tested by myself and my flock, and a couple of other testers before it even sees the shelves. Randomly a toy will be taken from normal stock for us to test for consistency.
So they get 'expert' opinions and my flock get the occasional free toy.
I was just happy at the product recall. I walked from the store with a month's free seed mix and some soft rope perches. I also carried a little pride.
It shows that no matter how large and powerful a corporation gets, there are still humans in there with common sense, a love for what they're doing, and a conscience.

Last edited:

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
What a refreshing meeting.
Both managers were waiting at the door for me to arrive. We walked around the store selecting a few similar toys from the small birds section on the way round while chatting about my birds and experience. Then we went upstairs to the office. Tea all round and a plate of biscuits then we set about doing what birds do - ripping the toys apart. We had scissors because we don't have beaks but we had some real fun in there. The toys we took off the shelves while not being easy to pull apart were made from short strands, certainly not long enough to 'hang' a bird, of tough natural leaf and Fibres. So, while being tough enough to take a good beaking, were short enough to consider safe and easy enough to pull from the bundle. Pretty happy there then.
Then I brought out the last one of these dangerous ones for them to look at. I did nothing, just sat back drinking my tea watching the managers play. They opened it up with the scissors and started trying to pull strands from the bundle. Those that were short enough to come free were fairly easy. Then, just as I hoped, the branch manager pulled a loop, and pulled as far as she could. She had a 9inch loop in her hand, couldn't find the ends and couldn't snap it. The area manager had to pull really hard to snap it. Neither was impressed and my case was proven.
Area manager was straight on a conference call asking all his fellows to withdraw this item and he will be contacting the supplier to see if they'll do a product recall.
Neither of them could apologise enough, for what me and Jack had been through. We sat down with fresh cups of tea and doughnuts and I am now a product tester for their area. Anything new will have to be tested by myself and my flock, and a couple of other testers before it even sees the shelves. Randomly a toy will be taken from normal stock for us to test for consistency.
So they get 'expert' opinions and my flock get the occasional free toy.
I was just happy at the product recall. I walked from the store with a month's free seed mix and some soft rope perches. I also carried a little pride.
It shows that no matter how large and powerful a corporation gets, there are still humans in there with common sense, a love for what they're doing, and a conscience.

Wow that's fantastic!!!

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Yep thanks guys.
It was definitely amazing. But at the end of the day no vendor wants to be associated with dangerous products

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Absolutely impressive that they sat down with you and went through the toys and in addition served you tea and biscuits.
Amazing!

ode.to.parrots

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
Wow!!!!! I am so happy to hear that your voice was heard!!!! What a splendid outcome!

You are a hero. :D

SquawksNibbles

Real Name
Kiera
I’m glad Jack is okay! Also very happy that you were able to sit down with them and talk about it and go through other toys! :)

I’ve seen those bird piñata toys a lot. I’ve stayed away from them because I was sure I had heard someone else say a while back that a bird got tangled up in it. Thank you for posting this warning as it will probably save some birds just like somebody else may have saved mine a while back. The only piñata type toy I have now is not the same as the one that your Jack got stuck in. I got the toy literally a few days ago just to add to the birds’ play stand. This way they can always be supervised while playing with it. Again, thanks for the warning about that toy!! :)

krupali

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
krupali
So sorry about what happened but I'm glad he's ok. I hate putting toys inside their cage when I'm not in the room. I recently had to removed a toy because my bird's foot got stuck between the threads. Not sure what the material is called but it's basically a bunch of threads tied into knots.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Glad he's okay. I had an issue with Chya many years ago with one of the medium pinatas. My daughter was home and saved her. She didn't appreciate the bite she got from trying to help.

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Glad he's okay. I had an issue with Chya many years ago with one of the medium pinatas. My daughter was home and saved her. She didn't appreciate the bite she got from trying to help.
Yep. It's in their nature to get defensive when trapped, it was a relief when Jack bit me I can tell you.
An update. The company that produces these toys employs and supplies people who work from home producing these toys. Turns out they were supplied with the wrong materials in the first place. They are now doing a small production run for destructive testing. I'll be involved in the testing but I'll never be buying any. I'll make my own.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank goodness Jack is ok! I was thinking of buying one of these for Buddy. I didn't because we're trying to pinch a penny for a bit while I get past some med. bills. Plus xmas leftover bills.

I guess it was a xmas present from you. I only considered it cause I can't make it. Thanks for letting us all know. :hug8:

Enjoy your supervisor Jack, all that product testing has you to work! Jack has his 1st job! You should be proud. :dance5: