• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Potentially lethal foraging toy

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I have been keeping piñata style foraging toys in the cages with my birds absolutely fine up until today. I had to nip into town for a dentist appointment so I did what I normally do - birds in cages, radio on and doors closed.
I was only out around an hour. Imagine my horror when I came back to find Jack the budgie hanging limp from a loop of whatever was stuffed in the toy. He had twisted around so much trying to escape he'd twisted the loop tighter. I don't know how long he'd been like that, but he was limp and the other two were pecking at him with no response.
I ran to the cage, got my hand in and grabbed him, scattering Minty and Homer in the process. Jack bit me - thank God. I snapped the strand and untangled Jack. He just got straight to his feet, shook it off and started preening his ragged feathers.
This was one lucky escape I'll always remember, and one Jack won't forget. Just be careful what you're leaving in your fid's cages, and only use these kinds of toys supervised. And the toy was only 2 days old, bought from a local pet store who I'll be talking to tomorrow.
At the bottom a brand new one, the top one was the cause of a near death:
DSC_0050.JPG

Last edited:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So sorry this happened but good that you were able to rescue Jack. I would contact the manufacturer and let them know what happened. Maybe they need to redesign or remove the toy from their product list.

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Is this a Planet Pleasures toy? I've seen this happen before with their toys on bird forums. I would contact them. Maybe they can come up with a new way to stuff their foragers.
It's a no name toy with the shop's label on it, it could be a cheap knockoff. The stuffing was easy to rip and break, but obviously budgies don't have the weight to snap it. Yet it's sold for budgies and larger.
I'll phone the shop in the morning, see if I can get to meet the manager to discuss all this.
As it stands we've had a very lucky escape, Jack seems fine (if a bit scruffy) - but the thought still gives me the heebie jeebies.

Last edited:

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
It does doesn't it. I'm in the UK so given that price it must be a knockoff. Was only £4.99, noone could import at that price.

Frankly I not trusting the material list on this either.

Erikalynnha

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Erika
As it stands we've had a very lucky escape, Jack seems fine (if a bit scruffy) - but the thought still gives me the heebie jeebies.
I'm glad Jack is ok! As the owner of a VERY accident prone sun conure who has found him in some scary situations I totally get it!

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
Unfortunately, so many types of toys are potentially a hazard . When my birds are unsupervised i remove what i think could cause strangulation or becoming tangled in. I now use stainless steel bird skewers and skewer shredders and other things to keep them busy while away.

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I
Unfortunately, so many types of toys are potentially a hazard . When my birds are unsupervised i remove what i think could cause strangulation or becoming tangled in. I now use stainless steel bird skewers and skewer shredders and other things to keep them busy while away.
I've started to make my own toys. Only bought these cos they're a bit different and something I can't make myself. The new one will not be used now, straight to the bin.
I learned the hard way.

AutumnRain

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kelsey
That's so scary! I'm glad he's okay. Thank you for the warning about those. I have a Planet Pleasures Piñata for Emery that I thought it was safe, but I will be keeping it out of her cage and only letting her use it from now on with supervision.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
That´s quite a fright you had there Linden! Lucky you came home when you did!! I´m so glad Jack is ok!

Nikomania

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Thank you for bringing it to our attention. You have just helped save lives.

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
We have an unsafe toy sub forum I think you should take a look at all the postings people wrote. It's in the safety forum.

What a scare! You must have been so frightened.

!! Dangerous toys list !! | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum
I think everyone should visit that thread for a read/reread. There could be a lot of things going in the trash tonight. It's so easy to forget what you learned a few weeks ago. Half the stuff you can buy off the shelf is bloomin' lethal. Online is even worse.

Jas

Real Name
Jasmine
Glad you caught Jack in time!!!

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I'm so glad your baby is okay. This is why I'm hyper-vigilant... I very rarely buy toys now unless they come from our vendors. I make toys a good 90% of the time.

Always keep an eye out, and check your toys daily.

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I have just spoken with the branch manager by phone and have an appointment 10AM Thursday to see both her and the area manager. In the meantime, she has agreed to take this and any similar toys off the shelves pending their decision Thursday.