• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Potential egg questions

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Call me AB
Sunbeam's not acting "normal" today. So I want to know how long I should wait before deciding if something is not right. How much of a behavioural change is normal when potentially laying eggs?
It's been almost four years since I had an egg laying budgie, so I feel really lost and anxious.

TheFatBIRB

Walking the driveway
Real Name
David
Sorry, not much I can help with. You might consider an avian vet. Hope you feel better, you and your bird.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Sorry, not much I can help with. You might consider an avian vet. Hope you feel better, you and your bird.
If there is not much you can help with then it might be best to just read and not reply with advice to see a vet on these kinds of posts.
Most of our members will ask here when a situation is not life threatening before racing off to an avian vet as usually only those members with enough knowledge to help will reply, many things such as expecting an egg can be monitored at home before racing off to a vet for an issue that does not need vet intervention.

TheFatBIRB

Walking the driveway
Real Name
David
Often times when you notice out of the ordinary signs it is usually to late. Birds are really good at hiding illnesses. Always go to a professional if you have important questions. But if you must wait then go ahead.

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Call me AB
Often times when you notice out of the ordinary signs it is usually to late. Birds are really good at hiding illnesses. Always go to a professional if you have important questions. But if you must wait then go ahead.
While that's true, I can't just rush to the vet every single time I notice something out of the ordinary. My vets are booked out a couple weeks in advance, and still squeeze in emergencies and urgent cases. I need to have a good solid reason other than "she's not acting normal" before I will take up their precious time.
Not to mention "abnormal" behaviour for Sunbeam is often "normal" budgie behaviour. She's basically not being her crazy self, but still eating, foraging, preening and moving about. If I was seriously concerned for her she would be coming to the vet with me today, but I am not at that point right now.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
It's also totally unfair to say it's too late.

I am not sure... Maybe @BrianB can offer some insight?

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sometimes birds have off days. Maybe she didn't get enough sleep the night before and is just sleep-deprived. Perhaps something in the house has changed and it's thrown her off. Maybe her food is off and she's not interested in eating it. It's really hard to say for sure when you should seek vet care. It's something you get a feel for over time. One day with slightly off behavior isn't something to be concerned with, but you'll know her behavior far better than we would. Sometimes you have the gut instinct that something is wrong and you need to seek care, and sometimes you just sit it out and see what happens. I'm always for erring on the side of caution, but avian vet care isn't cheap and if I went to the vet every time a bird acted weird I would be bankrupt. Take a deep breath and sit with her and see what your instinct tells you.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sometimes birds have off days. Maybe she didn't get enough sleep the night before and is just sleep-deprived. Perhaps something in the house has changed and it's thrown her off. Maybe her food is off and she's not interested in eating it. It's really hard to say for sure when you should seek vet care. It's something you get a feel for over time. One day with slightly off behavior isn't something to be concerned with, but you'll know her behavior far better than we would. Sometimes you have the gut instinct that something is wrong and you need to seek care, and sometimes you just sit it out and see what happens. I'm always for erring on the side of caution, but avian vet care isn't cheap and if I went to the vet every time a bird acted weird I would be bankrupt. Take a deep breath and sit with her and see what your instinct tells you.
Well said. I'd do the wait and see a lot in my early days of parrot ownership since I'd freak out with the slightest thing like a single bubble in a single poop and then for the next however many hours I'd be sitting watching every single poop and fretting non stop. Eventually as time went on I could know for a single look at the poop or a slight change of behavior and know if I needed to take them in or not. It served me well over the years and I headed off many a bacterial infection or other slight issue by being really intune and learning what to look for.

It's always a delicate balance for sure though and I'm more likely to err on the side of caution and go to the vet if I really feel deep down that it's warranted vs waiting but I've always been a nervous Nelly when it comes to my fabies I must admit.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Well said. I'd do the wait and see a lot in my early days of parrot ownership since I'd freak out with the slightest thing like a single bubble in a single poop and then for the next however many hours I'd be sitting watching every single poop and fretting non stop. Eventually as time went on I could know for a single look at the poop or a slight change of behavior and know if I needed to take them in or not. It served me well over the years and I headed off many a bacterial infection or other slight issue by being really intune and learning what to look for.

It's always a delicate balance for sure though and I'm more likely to err on the side of caution and go to the vet if I really feel deep down that it's warranted vs waiting but I've always been a nervous Nelly when it comes to my fabies I must admit.
I was the same- my birds vet would not let the staff book me in without her speaking to me first. Burt vomits the whole car trip and at the time it was a 3hr one way trip... racing him in for many of the tiny issues I could manage at home would have done him more harm than good.

There is most certainly always a time and a place for vet visits but much like humans many things do not really need a medical or professional intervention, once you have some experience you learn when you need to race off for help above the kind of what you can offer.

@AussieBird how is Sunbeam doing now?

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Call me AB
@AussieBird how is Sunbeam doing now?
Can't speak for right this moment as I will be out most of today, but I have ask someone to check on her and update me.
She seemed fine this morning, still a bit quiet but was eager for breakfast and unfazed by the fact I woke them a bit early.
I think she put me off yesterday morning when she was sleeping in her bowl, she has never done that with these bowls. She hasn't done it since though.

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Call me AB
Might be over thinking it but if she is favouring a certain leg that could be because of an egg, right?
My update was she standing (I ask if sleeping, and no? but they may have woken her?) holding up her left leg. She was doing that this morning but I thought it was because she'd just woken and was still sleepy. (She was definitely using her leg later on)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder