• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Potential broken beak

Rudy-love1

Moving in
Real Name
Sara
Hi there!

I just noticed my Cinnamon GCC Rudy has acrack In his beak, it’s the first time I noticed it, and the only reason why I did was because he’s rubbing his face a lot more. Should I be concerned? 70752096840__2633D0F7-CB41-48CA-B485-A9F931252915.jpeg

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That does look concerning,do you have any larger birds that could have bitten him?

Rudy-love1

Moving in
Real Name
Sara
That does look concerning,do you have any larger birds that could have bitten him?

I don’t, I only have conures, I have four of them, two don’t get along with the other two so I keep them separate,

separate out of cage time separate cages that aren’t beside eachother, everything.

I might of not been paying attention for a second,

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It definitely looks like one of his flockmates grabbed and bit him. The nares is one of the most common places to get bitten during a disagreement.
Is he able to eat ? I'd recommend a vet check personally just to make sure everything is OK with the beak structure. If he's hesitant to eat normal harder foods like pellets you can soak the pellets in warm water to make them soft and offer soft easy to eat foods.
@webchirp @Pixiebeak

Rudy-love1

Moving in
Real Name
Sara
It definitely looks like one of his flockmates grabbed and bit him. The nares is one of the most common places to get bitten during a disagreement.
Is he able to eat ? I'd recommend a vet check personally just to make sure everything is OK with the beak structure. If he's hesitant to eat normal harder foods like pellets you can soak the pellets in warm water to make them soft and offer soft easy to eat foods.
@webchirp @Pixiebeak
Other than rubbing his beak on everything a little more than normal. He’s fine, drinking, eating, everything with no issue. I just recently lost my job too so I’m hoping it doesn’t result in a vet visit

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
If your bird is rubbing its beak more often than normal my guess would be it is painful- there are nerves in the beak just like we have in our teeth... damage done to our teeth usually is extremely painful and the same can be said for beak damage in many cases.
Keep in mind they are the kind of pet that does not complain or mope about when feeling unwell as showing injury can be a death sentence so it is in their nature to hide illness, injury and weaknesses. Also, depending on how deep that beak mark goes in to this little guys beak and nare and exactly how much of the area is affected there could also be a chance of infection.

I hope your little one will be ok.

Rudy-love1

Moving in
Real Name
Sara
If your bird is rubbing its beak more often than normal my guess would be it is painful- there are nerves in the beak just like we have in our teeth... damage done to our teeth usually is extremely painful and the same can be said for beak damage in many cases.
Keep in mind they are the kind of pet that does not complain or mope about when feeling unwell as showing injury can be a death sentence so it is in their nature to hide illness, injury and weaknesses. Also, depending on how deep that beak mark goes in to this little guys beak and nare and exactly how much of the area is affected there could also be a chance of infection.

I hope your little one will be ok.
Thank you, I’m sure he will be, I was hoping that everyone would be like, your worrying too much, he fine, or something like that. See I just lost my job, and they avian vets where I’m from are insanely expensive

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Thank you, I’m sure he will be, I was hoping that everyone would be like, your worrying too much, he fine, or something like that. See I just lost my job, and they avian vets where I’m from are insanely expensive
Pretty sure they are insanely expensive all over the world from what I hear. It is a bummer for all of us bird owners really but they do study for many years and pay a ridiculous amount to qualify to help our fluff butts so I get it.

If you are in the US you can apply for care credit or if you already have a vet you know I am sure they will make you a payment plan for an unexpected injury- I had my huge dog stung by a handful of bees and she became anaphylactic and I was broke at the time so I called the vet she normally sees and they told me to rush her in and we would sort out the bill once she was stable- you may find your vet will do the same thing in a situation you could not have planned for. I cant get credit or a payment scheme for a routine thing but any emergency issue I can.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
If you're already established with a vet, you may be able to send a photo to them to see if they think it is worth the visit, too :)

Rudy-love1

Moving in
Real Name
Sara
Pretty sure they are insanely expensive all over the world from what I hear. It is a bummer for all of us bird owners really but they do study for many years and pay a ridiculous amount to qualify to help our fluff butts so I get it.

If you are in the US you can apply for care credit or if you already have a vet you know I am sure they will make you a payment plan for an unexpected injury- I had my huge dog stung by a handful of bees and she became anaphylactic and I was broke at the time so I called the vet she normally sees and they told me to rush her in and we would sort out the bill once she was stable- you may find your vet will do the same thing in a situation you could not have planned for. I cant get credit or a payment scheme for a routine thing but any emergency issue I can.
Unfortunately I’m Canadian, I’m going to try to call in the morning and see what they say. Thank you so much for that idea

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Sorry your baby got hurt.
This is in the growth areas and too close to the sinus , so I concur getting it checked as risky spot unfortunately...

I'm so sorry it has to happen when you are between jobs! Ughh . It's always that way it seems. Perhaps the clinic would hire you as temp, to pay off service, sometimes little miracle like that happen.

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Antibiotics and pain meds are needed. You do not want an infection in that spot. The beak may grow out not so normal later as well.