• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Posting just to get this out of my system....Blue and Gold Macaw

KIWICHERIE

Strolling the yard
Gah I'm infected now too. There is a Harlequin Macaw at one of our rescues.. I just keep looking at his picture over and over. He is the prettiest Macaw I've ever seen, all orangey blue like fire - and already named Phoenix.

But the cage I have waiting is only 38 wide.. I guess the budgies could get a mansion size upgrade :roflmao:
I know there just beautiful I wish I had one but its way too expensive:(

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I had to post here once more. During my last visit with Rocky (Opie), a bird trainer was working with some of the large birds up for adoption. One of the birds got upset or excited and started screaming, and finally the B&G joined in. He grabbed onto the front of his cage, spread his wings against the front of the cage, and screamed bloody murder at the top of his lungs! I've never in my life heard a bird put out that much sound. It was startling, but not off-putting if that makes sense. This went on for about one minute, and then everyone settled down, but that was my first introduction to the true Macaw scream!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I had to post here once more. During my last visit with Rocky (Opie), a bird trainer was working with some of the large birds up for adoption. One of the birds got upset or excited and started screaming, and finally the B&G joined in. He grabbed onto the front of his cage, spread his wings against the front of the cage, and screamed bloody murder at the top of his lungs! I've never in my life heard a bird put out that much sound. It was startling, but not off-putting if that makes sense. This went on for about one minute, and then everyone settled down, but that was my first introduction to the true Macaw scream!
I honestly prefer that crazy macaw scream to the constant high pitched happy noises from smaller birds. I deal with budgies a little better than the other littlies I’ve been around but I still can only cope for very short bursts with the little bird sounds. Most videos I want to watch with little birds I mute lol.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
That will be all of my videos then! :rofl:
I do listen to the littlies from here- especially your tiny crew, I just turn the volume down lower so it doesn’t bother me so much. I’m meaning more on IG or YouTube when I’m binge watching birdies.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
that was my first introduction to the true Macaw scream
The 2nd day I worked after Buzzard came to us, I was at the kitchen sink (within his line of sight) getting ready to leave for work and he made that sound for the first time. My knees melted out from under me & I had to grab the edge of the sink! :scared4:

I honestly prefer that crazy macaw scream to the constant high pitched happy noises from smaller birds.
YES!! :yes3: We brought home a little brotogeris to be a singing buddy for Scott, but his little voice was so high and loud it was a wonder our ears didn't bleed! :canthear: We can ignore Buzzard's occasional death scream, but we just couldn't take that little guy's constant, super-sonic calls. no.gif Thankfully our next door neighbors fell in love with him and gave him a wonderful home. :heart2:

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The rescue I worked with has a Camelot Macaw up for adoption! (Also: a Blue-Crown Conure, a Senegal, a Rosella, etc.) And no, I'm not going to adopt him because I have my hands full with Mr. Cranky Britches, lol!

Elysian

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
The rescue I worked with has a Camelot Macaw up for adoption! (Also: a Blue-Crown Conure, a Senegal, a Rosella, etc.) And no, I'm not going to adopt him because I have my hands full with Mr. Cranky Britches, lol!
Aw.. I'm still waiting to stumble on a Pionus or Blue Crown Conure!

My rescue has posted this girl though.. 1616861108818.png

Last edited:

BrianB

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
This is my old lady bird, Sandy. She's a resident at the bird store I work at and I'm planning on bringing her home at some point. She's 65 years old and was used as a breeder for about 40 years. When she was retired, as happens with a lot of breeders who are past their age of fertility, she was discarded. She went to an older woman who already had a macaw. When the two started to bond and no longer wanted anything to do with her, Sandy was discarded again and she ended up with us at the store. She can be difficult, but she's decided she loves me and I'm her human. I'm one of the few people she will step up for, but unlike the others, I can cuddle her and she gives me kisses. There are a few that she absolutely hates and I have to move or distract her when they are nearby. We have this running joke that she's our resident Cougar Macaw. Since she was a breeder for so long, she thinks that all the boy birds belong to her and if anyone moves a male macaw she has a fit. I tell her that her days of being a hoochie mamma are over and she has to share the boys with everyone else. She also has a big attraction to baby macaws and thinks all of them belong to her. When the patio construction is finished and all of the macaws go outside, I'm going to bring her home with me so live out the rest of her life being spoiled rotten.

Sandy.jpg

Birdie Mama

Mayor of the Avenue
She is beautiful!! bring her home soon so we can see her flourish again as she is loved to bits!! :heart: :heart:

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
She’s going to have a great life with you!

Toy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Good of you offering to give her a good home finally after all those years. I hope she enjoys the rest of her life.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
She’s going to have a great life with you!
I hope that I can make her last few years as great as possible. She almost died last year and she’s got some residual health issues from it. With her being 65 and not in great health I have to be realistic that her time is limited. She may very well live another 15 years but probably won’t. Whatever makes her remaining time good is ok with me.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Bless you @BrianB. Those old folks, so many times are thrown away and they are real treasures. I have one now who is 35 and will not live for a long time. I'm adjusted to that fact and just try to make her life as pleasant and healthy as is possible. I really like the older macaws. They are special.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Bless you @BrianB. Those old folks, so many times are thrown away and they are real treasures. I have one now who is 35 and will not live for a long time. I'm adjusted to that fact and just try to make her life as pleasant and healthy as is possible. I really like the older macaws. They are special.
I know someone who adopts one senior dog at a time, showers it with love, and in a few years it passes and she has to do it again.