• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Post your favorite seed brands!!

Sunni Tiel

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
So I've been using SweetHarvest cockatiel and parakeet seed because it's what my birds were eating when I got them (with pellets ofc) and it's a fair price and readily available, but I feel like it's not the healthiest with all the fatty seeds in it. I want to try something new, What seed brands do you all use? Please share!

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
My cockatiel gets Volkman’s Cockatiel seed line without sunflower seeds and Lafeber’s Nutriberries.

Occasionally I’ll throw some Higgins in but I prefer to use her daily seed in foraging opportunities or sprinkled over veggies, and Higgins had too many big pieces for her that just went to waste. She is a bit of a food diva. I use their Worldly Cuisines with great success here though.

Funnily enough, Mimi knows how to hold nutriberries & pellets in her foot and eat them like an Olympic star but hulling a sunflower seed? Preposterous! “Get that weird thing out of my face mom!” :D

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
I really like the deluxe seed mix from LadyGouldian.com, an online finch supply store.

It has a lot of good seeds at a good price. My birds like it and leave nothing behind. I have finches, parakeets, and quail.

I also like the mixes offered by Glamorous Gouldians. They are more expensive, so I offer them less often, as a special treat or during molting or just for a bit of variety.

Millet Mix/Lady Gouldian Finch Breeding Diet/Gouldian Finch Food/Lady Gouldian Finch Supplies

I like these seed mixes quite a bit and I think they are very high quality. But my budgies' base diet is Roudybush pellets, not seeds. A good pellet will provide a better nutritional profile than any seed mix.

I don't mix pellets and seeds - I feed separately, so I can control how much seed is available each day. Otherwise, I think my birds would over-indulge and eat too many seeds. Instead, they get free access to pellets 24/7 and a measured portion of seeds, usually scattered around the aviary in various shallow dishes or trays. I also find that there is a lot of waste with many seed mixes that add too much filler, like bits of dried carrots that my birds never touch. I prefer sticking with true seed mixes that don't add a lot of extras. Just seed.

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My CH conure gets Volkman Avian Science Hookbill food, and the budgies get a mix I make myself from millet, rolled oats, oat groats, brown flax seed, tri-color quinoa, canola seed, hemp hearts, and chia seeds.

KeetQueen

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Hannah Stark
I use China Prairie’s Delight Dry Avian Blend. It’s very fresh and includes dried flowers and herbs! No dyes or preservatives like some other seed mixes. (Score!)

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Mine get Higgins Sunburst Parakeet & Hagen Budgie mixes.

GreenThing

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Kat
I don't mix pellets and seeds - I feed separately, so I can control how much seed is available each day. Otherwise, I think my birds would over-indulge and eat too many seeds. Instead, they get free access to pellets 24/7 and a measured portion of seeds, usually scattered around the aviary in various shallow dishes or trays.
I think with budgies in particular that mixing pellets and seeds can encourage them to think, "this is the stuff I must push aside to get the REAL food". Took a long time for mine to go to the pellet bowl regularly, but now I can see exactly how much they are eating each day.

I use Dr. Harvey's, because that is what Merlin was weaned on by the breeder (it has a lot of that potentially useless dried veg and fruit, but I think they have actually been eating some of it, lately...). I am watching them carefully (they have favorites like white millet that go first, but other seeds that they are warming up to and return for later) and might try creating my own mix in the near future, since they are doing so well with pellets I worry less about them going hungry if I change up their seed.

Sparkles!

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Another vote for Volkmans.

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I’ve never seen Volkmans. You have all made me very curious!

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Bebe gets tropimix in his breakfast every morning. The rest of he gets 2 teaspoons of zupreem pasta blend pellets and a teaspoon of seed mixture most of the time it's Kaytee Nature's Harvest.

SteveearE

Moving in
Real Name
Steve Earsom
I absolutely love finch food from Kaytee and feel very satisfied giving it to my pet birds. It's a nutritious bird feeder and they really enjoy it. I know many Avian vegetarians who have also recommended this brand. But I personally have used this with my birds. The first thing that impressed me with this finch food was its smell. I have tried other pet food before, which the birds do not like because of its unpleasant odor. But this product is different as it smells so sweet, making it one of the finches favorite food.

SteveearE

Moving in
Real Name
Steve Earsom
I absolutely love finch food from Kaytee and feel very satisfied giving it to my pet birds. It's a nutritious bird feeder and they really enjoy it. I know many Avian vegetarians who have also recommended this brand. But I personally have used this with my birds. The first thing that impressed me with this finch food was its smell. I have tried other pet food before, which the birds do not like because of its unpleasant odor. But this product is different as it smells so sweet, making it one of the finches favorite food.
Overall, this product is one of the best bird seed for finches with all the nutritional value and other benefits it gives to the birds. It is an excellent dietary birdseed that the birds also enjoy eating. This bird food will make the bird happy and healthy all the time.

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
Do your finches actually eat the fortified pellets in that Kaytee seed mix? In my experience, those kind of mixes aren't that great because a lot of the claimed nutritional value is left in the bottom of the feeder when the birds husk the seeds and ignore the pellets. The additional vitamins never make it into the finch because they shell the seeds and don't eat the colorful vitamin coating on the outside. So even though it lists plenty of fun ingreidents on the back of the bag, that's probably not be what your bird is actually eating.

Jogging around the block
I use Topflite seed mixes for my small birds, NZ owned and operated and they grow the seed locally when possible. A pretty good range of different types of seed, very high quality with no dust or other ingredients. They also make a really nice sprouting mix I use for my lovebirds.
For my pigeons I make my own seed mix, and I source the grains from a small bird specialty store.