• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Post your favorite birdie bread recipe

Status
Not open for further replies.

akijoy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Monica
I hope there wasn't a thread like this already...if so, please delete and let me know where to find it!

Anyway, I am not a cook, but I would like to start...for my birdies!
I searched on the internet and there are so many recipes out there.

Can you share your bird's favorite birdie bread recipe?

f3ath3rs2

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Audra
Yay! I get to share (again) my favorite recipe! I got this from a friend of mine. I make mini muffins out of this, and you can cut down the amount if you want as it generally makes ~130 mini-muffins each batch.

3c cornmeal
3c wheat flour
1t baking powder (aluminum free)
2t baking soda
small handful of wheat germ powder
~1/2c flax seed
~1/2c ground pellets (or, I use harrisons fine)
6 eggs with shell
6T vegetable oil (or you can use "healthy" oil)
1c fruit juice or chicken broth
1c of V8 juice
assortment of veggies - I usually use some leafy greens, sweet potato and something else (I've used broccoli, squash, bananas, strawberries, etc as my "extra" veggie and I've used kale, endive, spinach, etc for my leafy greens)
Any additional you would like - rice, quinoa, pasta, chopped veggies

Stir together dry ingredients (cornmeal, flower, baking powder, baking soda, wheat germ, flax seed, pellets, etc) in a large bowl. Blend eggs, oil, veggies, and juices in blender until liquified - use as liquid base for the bread. Add the liquid mixture to the dry ingredients and stir (a lot, if you do the whole recipe, it takes a lot of stirring to get everything moist and mixed well). After stirred together, add chopped veggies, and any cooked rice/pasta/etc and stir in.

Add to muffin cups, bake at 375*F for 17 min comes out perfect enough to crumble into dishes. My friend cooks her in a large cake pan for about 35-45 minutes and then cuts into cubes.

This only lasts me about 3 weeks or so as I go through 7 muffins every day. Enjoy!

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
Well, I made the Harrisons bird bread once, and it was fine, but it was really expensive ($12 for one batch). Now, I buy cornbread mix, add the egg and leave the shell, add some other veggies (whatever I have) and throw in some seed. I know that not everyone is comfortable using cornbread mix, but they dont' get it all the time, so I am comfortable with it. AND, they ALL love it and everyone eats it when I make muffins. I use the little tiny mini muffin pan:)

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I thought there was a recipe thread but I can't find it either???? Oh well.

These are the recipes I've collected.
Easy Cornbread

This recipe helped us convert our cockatiels to pellets.

1 package cornbread mix (try to get one low in sugar)
2 eggs, shell included
1/2 cup seed mix
1/2 cup pellets (any brand you prefer)
1 cup mixed vegetables.

Mix ingredients together per package instructions and adding the extra ingredients above. Bake at 350 degrees for about 35 minutes.
Tails Up Good!

I have a parrot rescue aviary. I have had to learn how to convert older seed lovers to veggies. This is a winner.

1 c cornmeal
1 c wheatgerm
1/4 c groats
1/4 c buckwheat
1/4 c soybeans finely ground
1/4 c nuts coarsely ground
1/8 c olive oil
1 c fresh/frozen corn cooked
1 c shredded carrots
1c greens chopped
5 eggs shell and all
1 apple chopped fine
1/2 cup soy milk
left over rice or beans (optional)

Mix all ingredients together. Prepare 9x13 inch pan with olive oil. Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes, then at 350 degrees for another 30 minutes or until done.

This recipe comes from the kitchen of Sharon Dahlen of Colorado Springs. In her parrot rescue aviary there are currently 13 parrots of varying sizes: macaws, cockatoos, an amazon, and African greys. Most of these birds have had seed-only diets and had malnutrition on arrival. This recipe is one that they all will eat.
Breeders Best Bread

1 cup yellow corn meal
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup Miller's bran
1 cup soy bean meal
1/2 cup brewers yeast (nutritional, not bread raising kind)
1 cup raw wheat germ
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 cup baking powder
1 cup parrot pellets (We use Pretty Bird, small size)
1 cup Petamine
1/2 cup wheat germ oil
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 dozen eggs, with shells, ground up (use blender) 1 cup chopped spinach
2 cups shredded carrots
2 apples, shredded
2 bananas, mashed
1/2 cup honey
2-3 cups milk or enough to make a heavy batter

Mix up everything in a huge bowl. Use your blender for the eggs and apples and bananas.

Bake in foil lined pans sprayed with pam. 400 degrees for 30 to 40 minutes. Cool in pans, cut in 3x4 squares, store squares in freezer. Defrost as needed. Give each bird a small piece daily in addition to regular seed mix.

Believe it or not this stuff smells great and turns out well even if you don't measure very accurately. Makes two huge pans full.
Kathy's Easy Bird Bread

This recipe produces a heavy, dense bread that doesn't easily fall apart, making it easier to store and freeze.

* 2 cups baking mix (Bisquick, Jiffy, Aunt Martha, etc.)
* 2 cups white or yellow corn meal
* 1 cup whole wheat flour
* 2 tablespoons baking powder
* 4 eggs
* 3 6-ounce jars of pureed fruit or vegetable baby food, any combination.
* Any additions you choose to include (cheese, chopped fruit or vegetables, nuts, peanut butter, etc.)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Heavily grease one 9"x13" cake pan. Mix all dry ingredients together well in large bowl. Add eggs and baby food. Stir until all ingredients are evenly moist. Batter will be very thick and heavy. Pour batter into cake pan. Bake approximately 40 minutes, or until cake pulls away from sides of pan. Cool completely, cut into small cubes. Reserve enough for 2-3 days, and freeze the rest. Thaw as needed.
Strawberry Pellet Bread

* 3 cups pulverized pellets (food processor is great for this)
* 1 cup of strawberry yogurt
* 1 cup of strawberry jam
* 1 cup of honey
* 2 eggs
* 1 package Bisquick biscuit mix

Mix well. Bake at 350 for 40 minutes.
Birdie Bread

This is a basically a cornbread recipe, which many birds find irresitable!, with a few modifications. You can make it from scratch or you can take the easy approach by just preparing a box of Jiffy brand cornbread according to the package directions.

* For added calcium, wash the egg really well, then add the egg shell, FINELY crushed, to the batter. [This means you won't be able to share though!]
* For added vitamin A, add a small jar of sweet potato or carrot baby food [check the labels of different brands and compare!] or just add about 1/2 cup mashed yams.
* You can also add finely chopped veggies to the batter, or whatever you like! Broccoli florets and grated carrots work well. You can also add raisins, nuts...get creative! Cook according to recipe instructions. Allow to cool, cut into small cubes, freeze. Thaw as needed.
?*********************************
Basic Birdie Bread

* 2 boxes Jiffy corn muffin mix
* 3 T. baking powder
* 1 tsp. Spirulina
* 2 eggs and shells (puree in blender)
* 4 jars baby food (carrots, sweet potatoes, a fruit, chicken/turkey with rice, noodles, or vegetables)
* 3/4 c. peanut butter
* 2 c. baby cereal (buy lowest percent of iron)
* 1 1/2 c. shredded/chopped veggies (usually carrots or brocolli)

Almost any of the baby foods can be used but choose those with a high Vitamin A content.

Note: - the batter will be hard to mix!! Mix wet and dry ingredients separately. Combine wet and dry ingredients along with shredded/chopped veggies. Spray 9x13 pan with cooking spray and bake about 30 min. in a 400 degree preheated oven. Cool on rack, cut into squares and freeze in 3 day batches.

Optional additions: Chopped nuts, toasted soybean bits, shredded low fat cheese, dried fruit (small pieces), shaved cuttlebone, toasted sunflower kernels, pureed bananas peeled, pureed fresh mango, papaya or kiwi {reduce number of jars of baby food)
Bird Bread
Peggy
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
Put 2 boxes of Jiffy Corn Muffin mix into a large mixing bowl.
Wash off one egg.
Put 8 oz of fat free yogurt with acidophilus in it (plain or vanilla) into a blender.
Slice and steam some veggies...carrots, broccoli, cauliflower.
Microwave a handful of frozen mixed veggies...put all of these into the blender ( cool off a little)
Add a big spoonful of cooked sweet potato to the blender.
Crack the egg open into a bowl....add the egg shell to the blender.... blend it well....at the end add the egg and blend more.....if you add the egg too early it foams up, so I blend everything else first.
Add the liquid to the muffin mix....I usually put in ¾and mix it then add the rest as needed....if it is too dry you can put in a little water...I never had to add water.
Spray PAM into an 8 x 8 pan
Add in any extras you want.....cranberry...Harrison's etc.
Mix then pour into the pan and bake.
Check it with a toothpick after 25 min. and add time if you need to.
Remove from the oven and cool a bit....cut into portions and serve...
It freezes well.
Always serve it slightly warm.
Amazing Amazon Birdie Bread

By Joanie Doss
For 7 years I made up recipes for birds as editor of The Alaska Bird News. Is it any wonder that some of my birds have a real weight problem?

The following recipe took many years to develop. As I became more aware of food for birds it continued to change.

First I use only Skippy or Jiff Peanut butter as they are tested for aflatoxins and have a very low amount while health store peanut butter runs very high.

I use only natural brand baby foods. A recent study was done on baby foods and alarming amount of carcinogens were found in such brands as Heinz and Gerber. If I do not have organic brands I make my own.

This recipe varies from time to time....but basically it is:

* 4 jars of organic baby food (2 jars of sweet potatoes for Vitamin A)
* 1 18 oz jar of Skippy or Jiff Peanut butter (chunky)
* 1 8 oz package...second nature eggs (Kodiak has a cholesterol problem so I use about 6 extra large egg whites or egg substitute)
* 3 bananas (mashed)
* 2 cup carrots (grated)
* 1 cup cornmeal
* 1 1/2 cup rolled grain varieties
* 1 1/2 cup crushed grain varieties

These last two items can be purchased at health food stores or bulk section of your grocery store

Mix the eggs and peanut butter thoroughly. Add in the baby food and mix. Add the bananas and carrots and mix. Now mix in all the dry ingredients.

There is no baking powder or baking soda so the bread does not rise. You can fill the pan as it is not going to go much higher. Put the mixture in an un-greased baking dish for 45 - 60minutes. Test with a toothpick to be certain the bread is baked through. It is important that the bread bake all the way through. Let cool and then cut into squares. Freeze in bags until needed. It should be removed for the cage after 4 hours.

I do not add salt, sugar, baking soda, or baking powder as there is no need to use them and they add nothing to the bird's diet. There is enough oil and salt in the peanut butter so there is no need to add it for flavoring or grease the pan. You can add wheat germ mixed with the grains if you want. You will notice also that this recipe does not have any flour. The crushed grains and rolled grains plus the cornmeal soak up the moisture.

I generally bake at 350 degrees between 1/2 hour to an hour depending on what I have added or subtracted to the recipe. Sometimes I will throw in a couple of apples in addition to everything else so that makes it more moist and requires longer baking. You can generally hide a veggie or two that they wouldn't normally eat in this bread as well.
**************************** Basic Birdie Bread

* 2 boxes Jiffy corn muffin mix
* 3 T. baking powder
* 1 tsp. Spirulina
* 2 eggs and shells (puree in blender)
* 4 jars baby food (carrots, sweet potatoes, a fruit, chicken/turkey with rice, noodles, or vegetables)
* 3/4 c. peanut butter
* 2 c. baby cereal (buy lowest percent of iron)
* 1 1/2 c. shredded/chopped veggies (usually carrots or brocolli)

Almost any of the baby foods can be used but choose those with a high Vitamin A content.

Note: - the batter will be hard to mix!! Mix wet and dry ingredients separately. Combine wet and dry ingredients along with shredded/chopped veggies. Spray 9x13 pan with cooking spray and bake about 30 min. in a 400 degree preheated oven. Cool on rack, cut into squares and freeze in 3 day batches.

Optional additions: Chopped nuts, toasted soybean bits, shredded low fat cheese, dried fruit (small pieces), shaved cuttlebone, toasted sunflower kernels, pureed bananas peeled, pureed fresh mango, papaya or kiwi {reduce number of jars of baby food)
Birdie Apple Cinnamon Muffins

* 3 c. flour
* 3/4 c. sugar
* 1 1/2 t. cream tartar
* 3/4 t. baking soda
* 1/2 t. orange peel
* 1/2 t. cinnamon
* 1/2 c. butter
* 1 c. finely chopped apple
* 1 c. french vanilla yogurt
* 2 eggs, beaten

Mix all together. Fill greased muffin cups 2/3rds full. Makes 22 muffins. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes. 325 degrees for Baker's Secret pans. Afer baking, brush tops of warm muffins with melted butter & then dip in mixture of 1/2 t. cinnamon & 1/3 c. sugar.
Birdie Pumpkin Bread

* 3 c. sugar plus bit of molasses
* 1 c. vegetable oil
* 4 eggs, beaten
* 16 oz. canned pumpkin
* 3 1/2 c. flour
* 2 t. soda
* 1/2 t. ground cloves
* 1 t. each cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg
* 2/3 c. water
* 2 c. nuts (optional)

Mix sugar, oil & eggs together. Add pumpkin, then add dry ingredients then water, stirring until just mixed. Pour batter into 2 greased & floured loaf pans. Bake 350 degrees for 1 hour, or makes 6 mini loaves in 40 minutes
Birdie Apricot Nut Bread

* 1 c. snipped dry apricots
* 3/4 c. sugar
* 2 T. soft butter
* 1 egg
* 3/4 c. orange juice
* 2 c. flour
* 1 t. cream of tartar
* 3/4 t. baking soda
* 3/4 c. chopped nuts

Soak apricots in warm water for 30 minutes. (optional) Cream together sugar, butter & egg. Stir in orange juice. Combine flour, baking soda & cream of tartar. Drain apricots well; add to batter. Stir together. Add nuts. Pour into a greased 9 x 5 x 3 loaf pan and bake at 350 degrees for 45 min or until bread tests done. Cool ten minutes in pan before removing to wire rack. If use mini loaf pans makes 4 loaves & Baker's Secret pans 28 minutes. A double recipe yields 7 loaves at 325 degrees for 33 min in Baker's Secret pans.
Birdie Banana Nut Bread

* 3.5 c. flour
* 2 t. cream tartar
* 1.5 t. baking soda
* 2/3 c. applesauce (or 2 apples chopped finely)
* 1 1/3 c. sugar
* 4 eggs, well beaten
* 2 c. ripe mashed bananas
* 1 c. chopped baby carrots
* 2 c. pecans
* 1 jar baby food, winter squash or sweet potato (optional)

Bake 350 for about 30-33 min makes 6 mini loaves or approx 1 hour for 2 large loaves
Pineapple Carrot Bread

* 3 cups flour
* 2 cups sugar (can use less)
* 1 t. baking soda
* 1 t. cinnamon
* 3 eggs
* 2 cups shredded carrots
* 1 cup vegetable oil (or 1 c. applesauce)
* 1 can (8 oz) crushed pineapple, drained
* 1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
* 2 t. vanilla extract

Combine flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon. In another bowl, beat eggs, add carrots, oil, pineapple, nuts & vanilla. Stir moist ingredients into dry ingredients, mixing just until moistened. Spoon into 2 greased & floured loaf pans. Bake at 350 degrees for 65-75 minutes or until loaves test done. Cool 10 minutesin pans before removing to wire racks. Makes 6 mini loaves, if baked in Baker's secret pans at 325 degrees takes 35-40 minutes.
Birdie Corn Bread #1

* 1 box of cornbread mix
* 1 extra egg (included shells)
* 1 c. frozen mixed vegitables

Bake as directed. Cut into serving sizes and freeze. Defrost and serve as needed.

Eight Grain Corn Bread

* 2 boxes(8 1/2 oz.) Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix
* 2 c. Eight Grain Cereal, not cooked
* 1 c. peanut butter
* 4 eggs with shells

Mix ingredients in a large bowl, adding enough water to make a cake-like batter. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes.
A Great Birdie Bread

* 2 C cockatiel crumbles
* 1 banana
* 1/3 C wheat germ oil*
* 6 eggs--with shell
* 3T pumpkin, yams or squash
* 1/3 C vegetable oil
* 1 1/2 T applesauce or 1/2 apple
* 1 C thawed frozen mixed vegetables
* 1 C cooked dry beans
* 1 C cooked brown rice
* 2 C corn meal
* 4 T baking powder

Food process first 8 ingredients. Add beans & rice and blend til pulverized. Add to cornmeal and baking powder. Mix well. Add water if too thick. Bake at 325 degrees for 40 minutes til done.
*You can find wheat germ oil (for horses) at most feed stores. Freeze the stuff crumbled, zap about 1 T. per bird per day.

dolldid

Riding the Skies
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Dolly witney

Alex

Take a stroll down the Avenue!
Awesome! I was at work trying to search on the iphone to get ingredients but couldnt find it either. So I will have to bookmark this to pick some stuff up tomorrow.

M

M.C Bird Rescue

My Brown Rice Pilaf for the Birds-

2 cups cooked brown rice

2 cups of frozen mixed vegetables (organic if you can)
1 cup chopped collard greens
1/2 cup of steel cracked oats (i use organic)
1 cup of mixed seed diet
1 cup apple juice
1 cup orange (chopped)
1 tablespoon honey
1 cup of dried fruits

I take the brown rice after it has been cooked and add the frozen veggies. In a skillet add 3 tbsp vegetable oil. Add brown rice and vegetables. after about 1 minute add 1 whole egg shell and all. add in collard greens, flax seed, and apple juice. Simmer for 5 minutes. remove from heat and let cool for 15 minutes, Add in seed mix, dried fruits, orange, honey, oats, and honey. Mix well. Freeze what you do not need for the next day or so.

Birdy Pasta Tastes so yummy! -

3 cups of cooked Whole Wheat Pasta with Flax

1 cup organic mixed veggies
2 cup apple sauce with cinnamon
1/2 cup of chopped up plum, peach, or pears
1 cup of your birds favorite nuts chopped up

Cook off the pasta, add in mixed veggies and the rest of the ingredients and serve when cooled.
I freeze this in baggies. I freeze EVERYTHING . LOL.

Egg Mixture Recipe - submitted by Peggy

4 chopped hard boiled eggs with shells
4 slices crumbled multi grain, wheat or oatmeal bread what ever you can find on sale.
1/2 cup finely shredded mild cheddar cheese

Mix together

Add 2 Tablespoons of honey over top and mix again.
Keep refrigerated in covered container.
Heat in the microwave in small dish before serving just long enough to take the chill off.

This can be frozen in serving size portions.

Birdie bean pasta

I package mixed dry beans
8 oz. bag brown rice
1 cup tri-colored pasta
8 oz. frozen mixed vegetables

Wash and rinse beans and soak in pan of water overnight.
Drain and rinse again and cook for 1 hour on med. heat.
Stir frequently to make sure not to stick.
Drain
Cook Rice, Pasta and vegetables as directed on packages.
Drain
Mix all together this makes alot so it can be frozen in serving size portions.
Warm before serving.

Birdie Bread

2 boxes Jiffy Corn Meal Mix
3 Tablespoons baking powder
2 eggs with shells
4 jars of strained baby food (carrots - sweet potatoes - chicken&broccoli - bananas)
3/4 cup peanut butter
2 cups mixed baby cereal
1 10oz. box frozen spinich thawed,drained, and chopped

Mix well and pour into 9x13 pan sprayed with Pam and bake in oven 400 degrees for about 25 to 30 minutes.

Cool slightly and cut into small squares. Keep refrigerated and warm in microwave before serving.

Can also be frozen and used as needed.
Fruits and Veggies on a Stick- submitted by: Kindra
I put one of the round wooden balls on first so my birds have something to hang on to. Take a kabob(bird safe) and stick fresh fruits (strawberry's banana's orange's, pineapple, ect) and Veggies (any they like). I alternate them. Spread a little bit of peanut butter on them and then roll in your birds favorite seed. Attach to the cage and watch as they eat the loving treat.

My bird bread recipe

2 packages of jiffy cornbread muffin mix follow recipe but add the eggs shells and all)
1 cup of pellet
2 cups frozen mixed veggies (corn, carrot, lima beans, ect.)
1 whole apple chopped up
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup apple sauce
2 cups dry parrot diet (pellet)
2 cups of beans (see below)
(I also add flax seed and oat)

Ok, so i start with the beans. I buy the dry mixed soup beans, rinse, and cook about 2 cups for 2 hours on the stove, drain and rinse multiple times until the water runs clear. Add the rest of the ingredients to a large bowl. I make these in a cup cake pan, greased. NO cups. Its easier to store in a bag and get out what you need. Fill cups about 3/4 full and cook at 300 degrees for around 25-35 minutes or until center is firm. These will feel like a brick, but the birds LOVE them. I store these in a large zip loc bag and take out 2 at a time. That way I have 1 for 1 day and the next is defrosting. They keep in the freezer for around a month. Happy baking.

It's a Cherrio-Tastic Treat!!!
Take a pipe cleaner and string cherrio's through it. Make a hook on 1 end to tie avoid falling off. After the cherrio's are strung make another hook at the top of the pipe cleaner to attach to the cage. Take peanut butter and smear just a little all over the cherrio's. Roll the entire string of cherrio's and peanut butter in your birds favorite seed mix and watch them destroy! Fun!

Sweet and Fruity Popcorn- submitted by: M.C Birds
8 cups of unsalted and unbuttered popcorn

1/2 cup of Flax Seed
1/2 cup of raisins
1/2 cup of your birds favorite seed mix or pellets
1 cup of dried mixed fruit (banana chips, orange, mango, pinapple, ect)
about a 1/2 cup of honey, maybe less.

Combine all ingredients, and as you are mixing, start drizzling in some honey. Until the entire mixture is sticky and combined. Lay out flat on a cookie sheet and bake at 200 until firm (about 20 min) watch make sure it doesnt burn. You could also lay the sheet out in the sun for a couple of hours if you wanted instead of baking.
Cut or break in pieces. This will keep for about 3 days.

My Eclectus Recipe
1 1/2 cups dry beans (mixed like for soup) cook off for 1 1/5 hours and rinse until clean.
1 cup of whole grain macaroni noodles. cooked off and not tender like for humans..cook 1/2 of the time.
1 cup pellet
1 whole mango (minus the pit of course) chopped
1 whole pear (no seeds) chopped
1 cup of applesauce
1 bag of frozen mixed veggies.
1 whole plum (no pit)
1 cup of dried parrot diet ( like you use as supplement)

Mix all together and freeze in individual bags.

akijoy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Monica
John, have you made all those recipes!?!?!? Which one is your birds' favorite?

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've never made birdie bread in my life but I will attempt to make some in the next two weeks.:lol: I will try the following recipe which another Ekkie owner shared from the land of Vos site. It's the birdie bread for Eclectus one.

I intend to substitute the canned pumpkin with my own homemade pureed pumpkin and a few jars of organic baby food fruit puree.
Apparently this recipe is a big hit for many parrots and I say .. if it provides them with variety and great finger food then why not?:starshower:

Land of Vos - Carolyn's Recipes

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
John, have you made all those recipes!?!?!? Which one is your birds' favorite?
I tried about 5 of them. I have the pickiest eaters on the planet. They snubbed their noses at most of them.

The "Strawberry Pellet Bread" was the one they liked the best.

Now I buy the Harrison's ready to make birdie bread and throw in some other stuff to customize it.

cntrymeadow

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Rebecca
I made this one last night for our newly aquired U2:

Birdie Banana Nut Bread

* 3.5 c. flour
* 2 t. cream tartar
* 1.5 t. baking soda
* 2/3 c. applesauce (or 2 apples chopped finely)
* 1 1/3 c. sugar
* 4 eggs, well beaten
* 2 c. ripe mashed bananas
* 1 c. chopped baby carrots
* 2 c. pecans
* 1 jar baby food, winter squash or sweet potato (optional)

Bake 350 for about 30-33 min makes 6 mini loaves or approx 1 hour for 2 large loaves

I put it in his food dish this morning.
I will see how much is left or thrown out.
It made two loaves so I will cut it into slices and freeze for future use.

I used apples instead of applesauce and I used a handful or two of frozen veggies instead of the chopped carrots. I also used sweet potato that I had previously frozen into ice cube trays.

Rebecca

Holli

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Holli
Great recipes guys/gals. I don't believe I need to add to these great options to choose from. But, I would like to point out - like one of the recipes suggested - to use a cookie sheet. IME, this helps bake a "dryer" bread....which stays longer without going bad in the cage. And, makes it easier to distribute smaller portions.

Status
Not open for further replies.