• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Post your cage set-ups!

singermanlynne

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lynne Singerman
I have been very lucky as my 3 get along fine and enjoy the company of each other. Even my conure is trying to become buddies with my Alexandrine ( all girls ).
I have not added any hanging toys from the ceiling - what do you find is most enjoyed and used for me to start with. I have a lot of table top gym at this time that
are around the house. Thanks, Lynne

singermanlynne

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lynne Singerman
How thick do the bars need to be for a small Amazon - I have seen so very well priced flight style cages that are powder coated with locks but the bars are not thick. Could I use this for a small to med. Amazon? Lynne

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
How thick do the bars need to be for a small Amazon - I have seen so very well priced flight style cages that are powder coated with locks but the bars are not thick. Could I use this for a small to med. Amazon? Lynne
I would think not... those flight cages have super thin bars (3 mm usually, or 1/8") meant for the little guys. I'm not sure I'd put anything in it over 200 grams really.

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
I agree...the bars are much too flimsy and the cage size is small for an amazon

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G using Tapatalk

Last edited:

crt95

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Christine
Love your set up Emily. Perfect little cubbie hole!

rikkitikki

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Erika
Well, I guess I have his cage to where I'm okay with it for now. I spread his food around to different corners of his cage to get him to use all the different areas:
IMG_1644.jpg IMG_1645.jpg IMG_1646.jpg
So to the left obviously is the Austin Air with a long perch that I've been using to move him around half the time (or I'll just have him step up onto my hand), under the cage is some foam squares that fit together with a border, and of course it's messy, Bean's good at that :rolleyes:, to the right is a toy that the pups got from secret santa :p, now to the inside of the cage. Going across the bottom is a maple perch that Expandable Habitats sent with the cage, gets pooped on a lot, but I don't mind cleaning it, front left is a java wood perch with a SS bucket hanging off of it with a bunch of foot toys, front bottom right is a grapewood perch with his dry food and a great big bowl of water (well, the bowl is big and probably only 1/4 full), dead center is a GFT boing, then a ScooterZ swing from MSBS to the right of it. To the left of the boing is a perch from T4W with a skewer that holds his loved fruit and where I started putting his mash (and a carrot top there right now). Along the back at the top - on the left, you can't see it, but we have a T4W platform perch, then a T4W shredding toy next to a GFT custom rope perch (this is where he sleeps and does most of his pooping :rolleyes:), the back right corner is a BOTR flagstone perch with a little treat cup that I started putting my try at sprouts (some of it sprouted, the rest I don't think will sprout, but it's soaked well and still safe at this point), then a bowl with veggies. In the middle in the back is a BirdyBooty toy that he has visited once and I'll expect him to visit more as he continues to get more adventurous. Eventually I'll move the food that's in the front left corner down so he'll have to visit that bottom area too (or maybe I'll just move the bowl of mash). I think I might add another toy or two as well, there's more food places in there than there is toys!

Last edited:

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Simba & Nala's recent set ups.

Simba's cage.

Wide shot

Top left of his cage

Bottom left

Outside play area on top left

Top right of cage;in the very back you can see his new Dragonwood perch that he already loves

Here's Nala's set up!

Wideshot

Upper right with a Nala cameo

Upper left

Bottom left

Middle of the cage in the back

Lenth wise shot of inside cage

Right side of outside cage play area

Left side of outside cage play area

Cagetop play area

deee

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Im very jealous! :) Love it :) what are those cloths hanging in there for?

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

deee

Avenue Veteran
I think it was back on the very first page.. there were cloths hanging in the cage...

BirdsFTW

Real Name
Maya
Wow!! Everyone's set-ups are wonderful and this is such a great way for everyone to share ideas!! It makes me so happy to see stuff like this, since there are very few people who care for their birds like us here in Hawaii. :( The last cage pics I took were a couple of months ago so, once I get my Things for Wings package, I'll take new pics of everything and post them here!! :D

My three favorites are:

Saroj - Fantastic LARGE bird room that is very nicely done, clean, not overcrowded.
Natacha - Awesome bedroom-sized bird room that is also very nicely done! I especially love how all the cages match!!
Maggy - Those two huge flights are very nice and I love the "natural" look of everything!

Seeing all these bird rooms makes me wish Raptor was a bird that could get along with others... when we buy a bigger house in several years I had planned on making a specified "bird room", because we'd gain a room, but it really wouldn't be possible with a bird like Raptor. Even if I let one out at a time in the room, if Raptor was the one out he'd seek Mika out in his cage and try to kill him. If Mika was clinging to the cage bars at the wrong time, he'd probably lose a foot or both. If Mika is the one that's out, I know he'll get curious and fly to Raptor's cage, where Rappy will then still try to kill Mika and bite his foot/feet off. We're going to have to stick with separate rooms for them now and in the future... which is okay and is what will keep Mika safe.

What I do look forward to is hanging things from the ceiling when we get the bigger house!! We don't want to drill unnecessary holes in this place since we'll most likely have to sell it to buy the next place, so I'm patiently (or not-so-patiently :D) holding off on it............................ but I've got a bunch of things in the closet, like a hanging gym and extra Jolly Balls, just WAITING to be hung! Hehehe!

rikkitikki

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Erika
Here's some new pics of Bean's setup. I had to add the pictures showing the two big doors, then one with the side door closed, but the feeder door inside of the big door open because I love it so much, makes it really convenient, and still leaves the option to keep the side door shut all the time since the feeder door is still available.
(Bam Bam was troubleshooting the automatic treat dispenser...)
IMG_1688.jpg IMG_1686.jpg IMG_1691.jpg IMG_1693.jpg

Last edited:

musskulls

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Jessica
This is a crappy cell phone pick of kiwi's set up. The cage came with him and he seems to be happy in it. Do you guys think it's a good size for a senegal? I recently got rid of the swing since I haven't seen him use it since he's been home. I'm probably going to replace it with a new perch shortly though.
K36iD.jpg

J37ZZ.jpg

And this is a pic of Kiwi's favorite activity. Is this normal behavior for Senegals?

Leza

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Annaleza
Personally I do think it is a small cage for a senegal. When I move into our bigger place, my Senegal will probably be getting my red bellys flight cage, which is 32 by 21. There should be enough room for at least 4 different perches, all different widths, and only one should be the sandy type. It depends on how much out time the bird gets though, for some people a small cage is just for sleeping, then the bird travels with you or is on a play stand all day. But if the bird is left in the cage a majority of the time, the ideal thing to do would be to get as big of a cage as you can afford, that is appropriately sized for your bird.

The hanging thing looks abnormal to me, but some birds can do it a little, just not all the time. It could be a sign he has no where comfortable to perch.