• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Post your cage set-ups!

Kiwi & Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
That's a really cool setup! Is it a birdroom? Also, where did you get the natural perch with connecters on both sides, and the really short perches that are in your ringneck's cage?

I just want to suggest getting some rope perches and more varied natural perches for the budgies' cage because the current natural perches are very uniform which doesn't give much extrasize to the feet. Maybe give the budgies more toys in the cage too. (I did see how much they have outside of the cage, so if they're out all day than their current cage setup is fine)

MojoIRN

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Sarah
That's a really cool setup! Is it a birdroom? Also, where did you get the natural perch with connecters on both sides, and the really short perches that are in your ringneck's cage?

I just want to suggest getting some rope perches and more varied natural perches for the budgies' cage because the current natural perches are very uniform which doesn't give much extrasize to the feet. Maybe give the budgies more toys in the cage too. (I did see how much they have outside of the cage, so if they're out all day than their current cage setup is fine)
Hello!

The budgie perches are uneven which doesn't show very well on camera. Although to be fair I've been thinking same thing as Mojo has a lot more options when comes to diameter! I ordered 3 extra small when did the order and ever since I had been wishing I had ordered maybe 2 extra small and 1 small!

I get all my perches from Natural Bird Product Company and unfortunately they are currently unable to make perches so I've not been able to get a 4th perch of a thicker diameter in cage. I also want a new budgie cage as my current was is such poor quality but I'm waiting till I can order perches again. lol

Full Length Cage Perches - Our Shop

Mojo has combination of small to large in his cage.

I can't have rope as Mojo chews it and potentially eats it and he goes in the budgie cage to knick their food!

Yes it basically a bird room. I've removed anything metal, no plants etc etc. Only thing I want removing is curtains but Mojo uses them to climb onto the pole as he cant fly due to his disabilities and I'm still trying to figure out safer solutions!

The budgie cage has less toys as they are hardly ever in it so I moved most stuff to Mojo's cage. Only time they really go in is to eat & sleep! I want to get them a large toy for the cage though as nothing on bottom of cage anymore since they chewed up last one. I don't like to over fill Mojo's cage but I try and have toys near every spot that he sits as when he gets anxious if he doesn't have something to chew he chews himself!

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
I've gotta get around to posting here. I really need to rearrange the cages with completely new perches. The budgies like to sit on one perch:shy:.
And Felix, doesn't fly in his cage. Gonna collect some ideas from this thread, and hopefully move some things around this week. :thinking:

MojoIRN

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Sarah
I've just purchased a new cage for budgies as had it up to here with the Ferplast Planeta aviary I posted above. Really don't recommend the cage if anyone sees it and gets urge to buy it. Doors are SO small and my IRN hides in it to avoid his evening medication!!

Sadly new cage is smaller and vertical bars. Swear no such thing as perfect cage. :arghh: Perfect one for me is large, horizontal bars, narrow bar spacing, large door... lol

AstridBird

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
izzy
Hi , lovely set ups everbirdy! I just wanted some advice, im planning on getting a ggc soon but im finding their diet confusing, some books say they should eat fruit and veg daily and have seeds/pellets at meal times, others say dont feed them seeds and give them fresh fruit and veg every other day and some say to leave pellets in their cage all day and give them fruit and veg at meal time? im not sure which is the right option to ensure a healthy and happy bird who wont become low in vitamins or become over/under weight. Would really appreciate some advice (i live in the uk if anyone can suggest some good but affordable brands):cinnamongcc1:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Hi , lovely set ups everbirdy! I just wanted some advice, im planning on getting a ggc soon but im finding their diet confusing, some books say they should eat fruit and veg daily and have seeds/pellets at meal times, others say dont feed them seeds and give them fresh fruit and veg every other day and some say to leave pellets in their cage all day and give them fruit and veg at meal time? im not sure which is the right option to ensure a healthy and happy bird who wont become low in vitamins or become over/under weight. Would really appreciate some advice (i live in the uk if anyone can suggest some good but affordable brands):cinnamongcc1:
Posting your own thread with your question is usually better than piggy backing the same question in multiple unrelated threads :)

MojoIRN

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Sarah
Hmmm new budgie cage arrived...bit small for my liking. My search continues for the perfect flight cage for a flock of 6 budgies I suppose. haha

This is the Hamberly cage got off Ebay. Smaller than the Ferplast Planeta Aviary, but I wanted a door that was actually functional when comes to cleaning and the like.

All I want is a large flight cage, narrow bar spacing, no holes for dishes & large door with a good lock!!

I was also considering this one but someone in reviews mentioned the side doors had large foot trapping gaps. If I had the space I'd 100% get a second double flight like my IRN, but sadly I only live in a small bungalow.

Cage without stand: 81cm x 54cm x 95cm

The Ferplast was Outer dimensions: 97 x 58 x 116.5 cm (L x W x H)

20200529_164705.jpg

20200529_164714.jpg

AutumnRain

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kelsey
Cage update (A lot more toys). :lol:
1st pic: Left side
2nd pi: Right side
Emery's asleep in her smaller sleep cage, hence why she's not in it.

Her cage is from Exotic Nutrition. They don't have them in stock all the time, so it's a get it while you can situation. They have a fantastic deal on it there though. It's an HQ Double Wide Cage. Last I checked, it was on sale for $294, I think. Shipping is free.
IMG_20200610_210152_236.jpg IMG_20200610_210152_239.jpg

8BitGhost

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jay
I've been waiting to do a full cleaning to show off my setup! This is for two Linnies. The cage is open basically any time we're home, except I keep it closed for a couple hours to force them to be by the Avian Sun (which is on the recommended 8-12 hours a day). I know it's a little crowded but they love all the climbing and hanging they can do! Taro is still super young and can't fly, too, so he has plenty of things to hang onto while he does his practice flaps.

It's a Petsfella wrought iron cage. Upgraded only 2 months ago from a Prevue Hendrix flimsy wire 'n plastic, haha.

Oh, and as far as out-of-cage enrichment, I have a small tabletop playground but they pretty much just like to sit (and poop) on us. Linnies!!

Attachments

clarousel

Everyone has such amazing cages here!

I'm almost embarrassed to show mine but I'd love some tips and advice on how I can improve it!

20200630_083054.jpg

I just got this cage last week and am trying to fill it up with toys. I'm putting in a wood corner platform for foraging on the left tomorrow. I also have a few toy items arriving soon so I can make more stuff for Preeno.

The leaves are pandan which she absolutely loves!

I know I have a big empty middle space but I don't know what to do with it! I don't want to block it out either so that Preeno has space to fly.

Attachments

Last edited:

Bookwyrm

Sprinting down the street
I just got this cage last week and am trying to fill it up with toys. I'm putting in a wood corner platform for foraging on the left tomorrow. I also have a few toy items arriving soon so I can make more stuff for Preeno.

The leaves are pandan which she absolutely loves!

I know I have a big empty middle space but I don't know what to do with it! I don't want to block it out either so that Preeno has space to fly.
I know it's been a while since you posted, but... I love this type of stuff.
1. You have stainless steel! Yay! I'd recommend putting one bowl on each end of the cage, that way your bird has to move around to get from one bowl to the other, and to help prevent food getting in the water. You could even put the water bowl up higher than the food.
2. Perches. There's a ton of room in there for more perches. Natural wood is the way to go. If they have bark on, even better. It encourages chewing and helps entertain the bird and keep their beak down.
3. Toys. Shredding, foraging, and climbing. All three are essential. Hang them on the top and sides so that they are all over the cage, not just in one area. Avoid cotton, paints, and metal, when you can. I personally really like leather for making toys. Budgies can't really destroy it, so you can reuse it. Rattan balls are also amazing. And paper. Paper is just an easy thing.

I know you've had the cage for a while now, but I just wanted to share my two cents, and sorry if you've already done all those things. :D
I'll post my set-up once I get my large order of toys in.

clarousel

Thank for the suggestions! I'm gonna try shifting his water bowl and see if that helps keep it cleaner for longer :)

All natural wood perches with bark now! He really likes them I think! I usually have a rope perch in there but I like to switch it up week to week. The cage isn't very large so I can't fit all the fun things in there :roflmao:

Quite a few more foraging and shredding toys now! He used to be afraid of them as well as the beaded boing. Now he's a master of balance and has no fear attacking 'large, colourful' objects :laugh:

Here's a pic! My previous one was horrendously bare! 20200827_081205.jpg

Bookwyrm

Thank for the suggestions! I'm gonna try shifting his water bowl and see if that helps keep it cleaner for longer :)

All natural wood perches with bark now! He really likes them I think! I usually have a rope perch in there but I like to switch it up week to week. The cage isn't very large so I can't fit all the fun things in there :roflmao:

Quite a few more foraging and shredding toys now! He used to be afraid of them as well as the beaded boing. Now he's a master of balance and has no fear attacking 'large, colourful' objects :laugh:
I must say... It looks like a ton of fun (from a bird stand point)!

Gokha

Real Name
Gaukharay
Ripley, Lesser Jardine's Parrot

Cage: Kings Cages Aluminum 33x25

Round Rope Perch: Mother Pluckin Bird Toys Atom (discontinued - for a solid alternative, check out the Orbits that Oliver's Bird Toys has!)

Window Perch: BeMore Bird Supplies Ultimate Observer Window Perch

Play Stand: Prevue Small Parrot Playstand 3181

View attachment 338983
Do you mind showing your play stand set up a little closer please? :)
I got the same one yesterday, but still haven't put much on it yet.

Reactions: Ali

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Do you mind showing your play stand set up a little closer please? :)
I got the same one yesterday, but still haven't put much on it yet.
I'll try tomorrow. His playstand is the one place he guards :lol: