• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Post pics of your dogs!

jh81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
Lazy Sunday.. the big stafford is my parent’s, the beagle is mine!
thankfull, mom never found out the beagle molested her couch pillows :rofl:

Attachments

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
thankfull, mom never found out the beagle molested her couch pillows :rofl:
I am going to tell :p !! heheh!

I love the photo of them couch surfing together. Precious!

Nikomania

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
IMG_20180826_211917_782.jpg
This is Ella and Gunnar when they were younger. Brother and sister. Have had German Shepherds all my life!

Last edited:

Nikomania

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Absolutely stunning german shepherds! Where did you get them from?
Quanto was from breeder in Virginia, Esko from a breeder in Utah.
Both are from imported German Showline Parents.

Love your dogs too! Good looking Shepherds.
GSDs are the only dog I'd ever have.
I've no dogs now :( first time in my life without.
It's hard not coming home to one.

Nikomania

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Quanto was from breeder in Virginia, Esko from a breeder in Utah.
Both are from imported German Showline Parents.

Love your dogs too! Good looking Shepherds.
GSDs are the only dog I'd ever have.
I've no dogs now :( first time in my life without.
It's hard not coming home to one.
I could tell immediately that they were from showline lineage. Looks like they were Schutzhund trained, too!

I can't even imagine not having any more GSD's. My pups are 7 years old now, and I'm not sure if I'll get another one after they pass due to my age. I may be able to fit one more in, but not sure.
My 13 year old GSD, Leyna, just passed away last month.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
You're right, that vivid red shouts showline! lol
Shchutzhund is what we did, started each pup and continued to their old age.
Love that sport! Quanto was a warrior without being at all civil.
Esko was a goof, not a warrior at all, but enjoyed it as the long as the bad guy wasn't scary.
We hiked the trails on our off time, often for 6-8 hours a hike.
I was so proud of them both. Have to admit well trained dogs are such an ego boost.
I was a bit of a show off with them.

I hope you have yours for many more years. Mine made it to 12 and 14.
Someday I want another, but my job has changed and the hours make it difficult to imagine a pup right now.
Because of the birds, it has to be pup that is raised to respect and ignore them.
Maybe someday. My age also is a concern, I'm no spring chicken anymore, and a good strong pull could land me on my butt!

I'm sorry to hear you lost your Leyna.
Do you do any special training, herding, schutzund, agility, french or mondio ring, etc.?
They do fill our lives with joy, excitement and exercise, don't they?
I've gained over 20lbs since mine passed. :grumpy:
I'm dithering between an elliptical, or a GSD. :p

Nikomania

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
You're right, that vivid red shouts showline! lol
Shchutzhund is what we did, started each pup and continued to their old age.
Love that sport! Quanto was a warrior without being at all civil.
Esko was a goof, not a warrior at all, but enjoyed it as the long as the bad guy wasn't scary.
We hiked the trails on our off time, often for 6-8 hours a hike.
I was so proud of them both. Have to admit well trained dogs are such an ego boost.
I was a bit of a show off with them.

I hope you have yours for many more years. Mine made it to 12 and 14.
Someday I want another, but my job has changed and the hours make it difficult to imagine a pup right now.
Because of the birds, it has to be pup that is raised to respect and ignore them.
Maybe someday. My age also is a concern, I'm no spring chicken anymore, and a good strong pull could land me on my butt!

I'm sorry to hear you lost your Leyna.
Do you do any special training, herding, schutzund, agility, french or mondio ring, etc.?
They do fill our lives with joy, excitement and exercise, don't they?
I've gained over 20lbs since mine passed. :grumpy:
I'm dithering between an elliptical, or a GSD. :p
No never did Schutzhund, but did obedience classes through a local obedience club which was phenomenal! I was hesitant to engage them with the bite/release exercises performed through Schutzhund, so I stuck to the obedience club.
I am interested in knowing more about the breeders where you found your gorgeous dogs. It would be great having options if/when I decide to bring another one home. The breeder where I've gotten my last 5 dogs is super expensive. However, with that being said, all 5 never suffered from hip issues, whereas my rescue GSD's all did.

Ankou

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Sondra
Yeah, somehow we got some greyhounds to go with our house, lol (married a dog lover and they’re the only dogs I’m not allergic to). Never would’ve believed anyone if they’d told me this would be my life! :jawdrop1: The dogs are completely separated from the birds. We chose our house specifically for the size of the “bird rooms”, as we saw them. :) The dogs came later.
How many dogs!? :rofl: I thought I was crazy when I had 3!

Here are Esko and Quanto, the loves of my life. Sadly both passed several years ago. I miss them so.
I'm so sorry for your loss. They looked fantastic! I love to see working dogs doing things. Great condition and very attentive, your love of them is so apparent.
I never considered purebreds until I ended up with my father's shepherd. There is just something different about him, they are such special dogs.

Axel started out as my father's dog but I ended up taking care of him. He spends 5 days a week at my house right now.
He's a purebred German shepherd (west German show, working line cross.) I just adore this animal. He's so much fun. I can totally see why they are so beloved as a breed, I'm smitten.
Since macawpower58 already posted her past shepherds being AMAZING and Nikomania with her majestic and adorable buddies; here is Axel trying to look innocent after drooling onto my bed (I let them into my room after Peanut passed because I am lonely.)

I adopted Zeus in 2018 to be a friend to me and Axel.
He's some kind of weird Alaskan dingo with a relatively unknown past who just wants to be loved. He does this thing where when he wants attention and you provide it, his pupils dilate.
Melts my heart. ZOOOSE! You have biig eyes!

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
@Ankou They are beautiful dogs. They look so happy in the snow! My pups hated snow and their little feet would freeze in a short few minutes when we were living in Buffalo. Once they had to spend nearly 6 weeks indoors because it was so cold. Paige would cry and give up on life.. the dog boots didn't really work well because they would pop off in the snow. I had to carry Paige, my 23kg dog, and Brie ,my 3kg sausage, together in a stack. They were good girls, and I was able to awkwardly carry them back to our building. Once those boots feel off Paige would just cry and refuse to walk. Gimli has never seen snow, but he seems to think he will melt in the rain.. so I can't imagine he would like it.

Maybe Zeus has learned about parrot behaviour ;) He is expressing his excitement via pupils.

Ankou

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Sondra
@fashionfobie
Aw, poor little feet! Imagining them together in a sack made me laugh, I hope they didn't mind too much. What an adorable memory, the picture of them cuddling together is precious too (almost as cute as Gimli, OMG. How dare you subject that precious creature to the rain. :laugh:)

They LOVE the snow, always excited when we have fresh snow even if it is already piling up. They seem to like the winter better than the summer actually, as long as it's above -12 C (10 F.)

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Axel is drop dead gorgeous. The showline sure comes out in the coloring. How is his drive being part working line? Quanto was one of those showlines with great drive and a wonderful off switch. He was my perfect dog, the one everyone offered a home to 'if ever needed'. It never was! He was rock stable in temperament too.

Quanto's breeder was Randy Brent of VON DEN BLAUEN BERGEN
Quanto cost about $1200 over 18 years ago. Pretty sure he's still in business, but not positive.
Was very, very active in West German Showline, importing from Germany most of his stock.
He is in Virginia. I have seen some articles about him raided for animal cruelty a few years back.
I don't know if true, or he was targeted. You'd have to research.
Esko's breeder is out of the business.
The breeder I'd go to now is Gail Bauer of Royale Shepherds - Home | Facebook
She is also a Showline breeder, she is in Michigan. She also breeds some for guide dogs for the blind.
I met her and her dogs at some shows, I was very impressed. Her dogs are around the $2000-$3000 price.
I've been out of the sport for almost 6 years, so my info may be old.

Good breeders are expensive. But breeding for healthy hips/no epi/and other health issues is worth it IMO.
Temperament in GSDs is also a huge concern to me, many are shy/fearful/fear biters.

They have Dingoes in Alaska?

Nikomania

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Axel is drop dead gorgeous. The showline sure comes out in the coloring. How is his drive being part working line? Quanto was one of those showlines with great drive and a wonderful off switch. He was my perfect dog, the one everyone offered a home to 'if ever needed'. It never was! He was rock stable in temperament too.

Quanto's breeder was Randy Brent of VON DEN BLAUEN BERGEN
Quanto cost about $1200 over 18 years ago. Pretty sure he's still in business, but not positive.
Was very, very active in West German Showline, importing from Germany most of his stock.
He is in Virginia. I have seen some articles about him raided for animal cruelty a few years back.
I don't know if true, or he was targeted. You'd have to research.
Esko's breeder is out of the business.
The breeder I'd go to now is Gail Bauer of Royale Shepherds - Home | Facebook
She is also a Showline breeder, she is in Michigan. She also breeds some for guide dogs for the blind.
I met her and her dogs at some shows, I was very impressed. Her dogs are around the $2000-$3000 price.
I've been out of the sport for almost 6 years, so my info may be old.

Good breeders are expensive. But breeding for healthy hips/no epi/and other health issues is worth it IMO.
Temperament in GSDs is also a huge concern to me, many are shy/fearful/fear biters.

They have Dingoes in Alaska?
Thank you for the information! I'd be embarrassed to tell you what I paid for my dogs!

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
How many dogs!? :rofl: I thought I was crazy when I had 3!
Lol, yeah, I know! We have 6! But greyhounds are suuuuper lazy, so it’s the equivalent of having 1 “normal” dog, lol. (2 with the little ones added in, especially the psycho Mercky, who’s under a year old and is a greyhound x whippet mix.) They literally sleep 20 hours a day! They’re majorly creatures of comfort, too. If it’s too hot or too cold, they have zero interest in lingering outside. They also smell good for a long time and don’t really have the doggy smell. :heart: They're awesome dogs. One of the healthiest breeds as well.

It was only $250 to adopt each dog (the brindle and the black were actually 2-for-1), with the exception of the Italian greyhound, who was $500. Ironically they're all purebreds except for the crazy one I mentioned above, lol.

651DEED6-7B0B-41E2-A6E1-91AE91AFCD29.jpeg

Attachments

Last edited: