• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Possibly rescuing a Yellow Naped Amazon

Missyszlee

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Missy
Hey all,

I’ve stumbled across a young male YNA living in someone’s garage, in a tiny, very filthy cage, also his diet is purely seeds.

My heart can’t stop thinking about getting him out of this situation. The owner doesn’t want him anymore, but won’t part with him for less than 2k. Money is not an issue for me, I’m more worried about the reputation of male yellow napes, and the fact that I’m told he’s about 18 months old.. so he’s likely hormonal.

I need to hear from the Amazon community and those of you with Yellow Napes. Am I insane??

Attachments

BirdG1rl

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Mara M.M
He's such a cutie! You might be crazy...but then bird people are all crazy, aren't we?

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
All you can do is try if you think you can handle him and the money. I got regularly bit and all that by Lurch, one of my Maxi Pionus, but after a mere 5 years we were best buds so be sure and take the long term approach if your going to get him as you might get lucky or you might get a Lurch that will take time to trust you.

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Please go and rescue him... You can always avoid bites by respecting the beak...I've heard yellow napes are great.
@Ira , clueless.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
No experience with yellow napes..... but I rescued 2 wild caught blue front DNA males. One wound up being my best buddy. I knew nothing about birds.

If money isn't the hold up, I'd say go for it. Amazons are awesome. Truly. He needs a better diet, a better cage, and a friend. Sounds like those may be available?

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
He looks sort of timid to me in that photo. I;'d say meet him & spend some time with him. Ask questions.
He may have been loved at one time.

Hopefully some amazon in the know members will chime in.

Seems they are becoming endangered.

Last edited:

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He looks sort of timid to me in that photo. I;'d say meet him & spend some time with him. Ask questions.
He may have been loved at one time.

Hopefully some amazon in the know members will chime in.

Seems they are becoming endangered.

@camelotshadow , do you know you are the one who motivated me to adopt my Inca... I will remember that post all my life. Many of AA members helped me to take the decision, but your post had maximum effect :heart:

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
@camelotshadow , do you know you are the one who motivated me to adopt my Inca... I will remember that post all my life. Many of AA members helped me to take the decision, but your post had maximum effect :heart:
Wow, I am honored to have had a memorable effect on your situation. I hope it is was/is a positive one. :awww:

Pat H

Real Name
Pat
I hate to be the voice of reality... but: if the cage is that filthy/ bad diet/ bad lighting.... at that price, I'd expect a pre-vet health check OK on HIS DIME! In writing! Or at least you pay to take him yourself, and subtract the vet cost from that big bill. He definitely needs to get out of that garage!

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
I have had a flighted male Blue Front Amazon, another of the "hot three". He was also living in a tiny dirty empty cage in a garage after the owner went to a memory care facility.
Individuals vary, but it is managable. They have great body language once they realize you are going to pay attention to it (current owners may be oblivious)
Teach him to step up onto a stick right away so during hormonal times your flesh can be spared if it is necessary to move him.
Keep us posted please!

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
Oh, I just re-read and saw he's 18 months old. They usually don't get sexually mature/hormonal till around 4 or 5 years old so you have time to work together.
Only pet on the head, beginning now, to help avoid them seeing you as a mate.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Down to the nitty gritty if you are still considering.

Do you have any parrot experience or any other pets that may be obstacles?

Were you looking for a bird especially an amazon? I was not looking for a hawk head but one found me.
Sometimes the universe will tempt us with new horizons.

If you have little experience & its a novel idea then you have to carefully consider & research.

It's best to get the bird you want but an amazon is more difficult than a cockatiel but the main thing
is the determination to give the bird a good life & learn with them.

18 mo is a young amazon so not too long for diet to have hopefully negatively affected the bird too much.
The yellow naped runs over $2000 so that would be generally a fair price so not so outrageous.

You could ask for a one year exam report or his last vet check. Doubt they have one so use it as a bargaining point
to deduct it & see if that works.

One caveat: You do have to be somewhat careful about real health issues such as PBFD etc.
The bird is still young to not be showing potentially some problems.

Can you get the name of the breeder or place where he was purchased? It can help to get an idea of how much
potentially bad disease it could have been exposed to. Ask if the bird was ever tested for those bad diseases.

If the bird is an only bird than its not really been exposed to new diseases.

No amazon expert but the bird looks young & able to be handled. It will take time & training for the bird to become
used to you but from the photo I don't see a really wild unmanageable bird.

Sometimes a bird being left alone is better than being physically abused as its not learning to hate people.

Bird needs help & looks like it has real potential. Still its an Amazon so they come with learning to watch for the warnings. You will have no guarantees with any amazon or any bird you get but I don;t think you want to be
put in the sad category of getting a diseased bird that will need lots of medical care & still succumb to the disease which is possible in many cases when you get a bird. Health is important & I suppose they can't guarantee that.

Try to get as much info as you can as the bird is at a fair value for its species so you likely have time to make up your mind & be sure.

If the bird is that young you have so much possibility & time with them in most cases. I look to my gut & into that birds eyes I see a nice bird but they will have all sort of emotions from one time to another,

I guess you have to ask yourself why this bird is tugging so on your heart.
Perhaps write down the pros & cons.
How is your life now & in the future? Do you have the space & time to commit to such a big responsibility?
Do you have a home where there can be noise?
Do you have the time for a bird that may live another 50 plus maybe 20 more years?

If you have the money then you can certainly get the bird & if you decide its not for you than you can arrange for the bird to get his forever home. Right now the bird needs help & would be better off with you even if it may not be forever.

I've been there with birds somehow coming into my heart. I was enamored by a lilac crown amazon at one time. You'll survive if you don't get the bird & time will go on but you will wonder how your life may have been different.
Still if you want to travel this road of the heart & see where it leads you can just do it. Maybe its meant to be & if not the bird will be out of a bad place & onto his next journey...hopefully both of you will learn & take with it loving memories...

Yeah, I'm bad....but today I turned 61 & time does need to be filled with things that make you feel alive wherever you can find them. They can be so cute with there chatter but its not something you can ever turn off.

Just know all birds are a big responsibility, noisy & messy. Reality is that can't be changed...Good Luck

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Happy birthday @camelotshadow

Shame you didn't grab that Amazon back then. You'd have been one of us!

Each bird is an individual. Secret is grinding her back right now. Best noise ever.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
I've known several yellow napes, and loved them all, but I did respect their attitude.
I doubt hormones are at their worst yet, but be aware they can be a problem as time goes on.
Males are usually more of a handful than females, so do your homework.
They are very active, vocal, and comical birds. Amazon antics are at times better than TV. :laugh:
They love, LOVE drama, so remember that if you do decide to take the plunge.
Amazon owners see so many different levels of attitude, it's hard to say if this bird will happily settle in, or if over time he'll drive you to insanity. The owners driven to insanity though still seem to love their birds, and learn to deal with the ups and downs. I'm a huge fan of all amazon, and I'd say go for it if you have the time and patience to learn body language and how to handle problems that may arise.

Missyszlee

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Missy
Thank you everyone for your thoughtful responses! I ultimately decided to pass.. the owner had never taken him to the vet, and refused to take him.. my heart sinks for that baby but I can’t fork over 2k for a bird with no history, + out of pocket for vet check.
I have a Blue Crowned and a Red Lored currently, and while I LOVE amazons overall.. a yellow nape wasn’t on my wishlist .. however this one’s current situation continues to sit in my gut :(..

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Totally understand your feelings... Same thing happened to me with a senegal... It still hurts:bighug:

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
We all understand & have been there. We can't save them all.
Its really hard to look passed the hope & sadness in his eyes.
I hope they look to find him a home where he can be loved & cherished.

You have your own birds to look out for so there would have to be quarantine & a vet exam.