• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Possible weaning?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Yes fruits have way too much sugar in them and not only is it not good at all for their health, feeding so much fruit may make a sugar junkie out of the bird. Veggies are much better for them as babies and for their future.

Sodapop&Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Or just try both in separate bowls..
I think by "preferred" Shez means by the human, because veggies are a lot healthier and will be a large part of the bird's adult diet. Birds can only have a small amount of fruit while they can have as much as they want of most veggies. :)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I also have hand reared many birds, but never a large bird, so I tag those who know what they´re talking about and I bow out.

Just keep in mind that these bigger birds are on a very different time frame and their development is not like the smaller birds. Are there similarities? Sure, but they are simply not the same.

There is someone here depending on good advice, so if we have no experience, we should just read along and learn, or tag others we know will have advice to give.

Legend88

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Dwayne
I think by "preferred" Shez means by the human, because veggies are a lot healthier and will be a large part of the bird's adult diet. Birds can only have a small amount of fruit while they can have as much as they want of most veggies. :)

This just gave me an idea I am gonna have to make a thread on hear about caique diet because my two caiques mostly like to eat apples and seed mix

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Or just try both in separate bowls..
No, they don’t really need fruit- they do need veggies. Fruit is much yummier though so all you’ll do is set yourself (and your bird) up for a bird who’s addicted to sugar and refuses veggies. Fruit should only ever be a special rare treat in comparison to veggies that should be fed in higher amounts.

Legend88

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Dwayne
No, they don’t really need fruit- they do need veggies. Fruit is much yummier though so all you’ll do is set yourself (and your bird) up for a bird who’s addicted to sugar and refuses veggies. Fruit should only ever be a special rare treat in comparison to veggies that should be fed in higher amounts.

Thank you for this please read my caique diet thread I just posted and chime in please..

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's best to let them wean on their own. Offer fresh veggies and pellets but expect that a lot of it will go to waste. They will try your patience but just roll with it. Some days the bird may not want hand feeding at all, the next day it may want 3 full syringes. My little one went through phases where she wanted it and cried for it, but when I tried to put the syringe in her mouth she wanted nothing to do with it. It was a struggle to get any in her at all. This went on for weeks and when she actively fought me over the hand feeding I stopped giving it to her. She weaned at around 6 months. I made sure to offer chopped veggies with a little fruit every day. She picked her favorites and I stopped offering things she didn't eat. Her favorite turned out to be grapes. In time they made a good bribe as well. Let the bird determine when it weans, but understand that they will drag it out for as long as possible and you may have to just stop offering the hand feeding. Check their weight and monitor how much they eat so you are sure they are getting enough nutrition but expect it to go through 6 months or more.

mikamacaw

Moving in
Real Name
Mika
It's best to let them wean on their own. Offer fresh veggies and pellets but expect that a lot of it will go to waste. They will try your patience but just roll with it. Some days the bird may not want hand feeding at all, the next day it may want 3 full syringes. My little one went through phases where she wanted it and cried for it, but when I tried to put the syringe in her mouth she wanted nothing to do with it. It was a struggle to get any in her at all. This went on for weeks and when she actively fought me over the hand feeding I stopped giving it to her. She weaned at around 6 months. I made sure to offer chopped veggies with a little fruit every day. She picked her favorites and I stopped offering things she didn't eat. Her favorite turned out to be grapes. In time they made a good bribe as well. Let the bird determine when it weans, but understand that they will drag it out for as long as possible and you may have to just stop offering the hand feeding. Check their weight and monitor how much they eat so you are sure they are getting enough nutrition but expect it to go through 6 months or more.
Thank you for the advice!

triciakoontz

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Trish Koontz
I fostered a red front for almost a year and she did not wean until 8.5 months. I cannot imagine a B&G macaw weaning at 11 weeks and he’s not even fully feathered. That is not something that would allow him to survive in the wild. Definitely need a vet visit, GREAT that you have one scheduled.

The fact that he takes the first part of the feeding and then quits makes you think that perhaps the formula dropping in temperature could be having an affect on his appetite. Are you sure you’re offering consistently warm formula? Many babies will NOT take cold formula (another survival instinct) so it’s good to keep the bowl of formula you are sucking up from sitting in another bowl of good warm water. Stir it often to redistribute the warmth throughout. You MUST MEASURE formula temperature often! Too hot is dangerous! Too cold is unpalatable. Offer the same temperature every time.

Is the baby being kept in an environment that’s nice and warm with adequate humidity? They are still pretty fragile at that age even though they look almost like adult birds. Don’t be fooled! Think of a quite helpless baby. At this age, they can definitely still be intolerant of big environmental temperature changes.

Good luck! Keep us posted!

MiniMacaw

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
My macaw took until he was 2 years old to wean.:rolleyes: He was mainly on a once daily comfort feeding after the first year or so, but still he requested it so he got it. He came to me abused though, and it benefits their mental development greatly knowing if they need that comfort feeding, it’s there.

Circumstances of the babies life before you, individual personality, and any illnesses that may happen all can play a part in extending or shortening the time your little one will need to be hand fed.

I’m glad you’ve got a vet appt coming up to be safe and I agree with the others who said it’s possible that the dip in appetite could be from the desire to be a bit more mobile.

Last edited:

Mikkimumu

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Michaela Stokes
My macaw took until he was 2 years old to wean.:rolleyes: He was mainly on a once daily comfort feeding after the first year or so, but still he requested it so he got it. He came to me abused though, and it benefits their mental development greatly knowing if they need that comfort feeding, it’s there.

Circumstances of the babies life before you, individual personality, and any illnesses that may happen all can play a part in extending or shortening the time your little one will need to be hand fed.

I’m glad you’ve got a vet appt coming up to be safe and I agree with the others who said it’s possible that the dip in appetite could be from the desire to be a bit more mobile.
Hey there,
Thank you so much for this reply post! My macaw is almost 1 years old and still is hand feeding. She asks for it by bobbing, wing flapping and making her baby noises still. This occurs 2 to 3x a day. She is eating pellets as well as I give her fruits and veggies. I was starting to feel like I was doing something wrong, I guess I will just continue and maybe one day she will want the formula less and less? Recent vet visit, blood work came back all normal.
Thank you again!