• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Possible weaning?

mikamacaw

Moving in
Real Name
Mika
My 10 (nearly 11 in two days) week old blue and gold macaw is starting to eat less. He went from 80-100ml 3 times a day to 50-70ml 3 times a day feedings. He’ll act very hungry for the first bit and then just walk away and stop flapping. He’s almost fully feathered (just some on his back are missing) and is very vocal, active and alert. He loves perching. Is this him weaning?
note. all the vets near me are booked until next week when he has his appointment.

Last edited:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

Legend88

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Dwayne
My 10 (nearly 11 in two days) week old blue and gold macaw is starting to eat less. He went from 80-100ml 3 times a day to 50-70ml 3 times a day feedings. He’ll act very hungry for the first bit and then just walk away and stop flapping. He’s almost fully feathered (just some on his back are missing) and is very vocal, active and alert. He loves perching. Is this him weaning?
note. all the vets near me are booked until next week when he has his appointment.

Yes Congratulations he is weaning you should start introducing him to fruits and pellets , my two caiques started weaning around that age of 10 to 11 weeks when I tried to hand feed them they would only talk a drop of the hand feeding then fly up on my shoulders , So I started feeding them fruits and seed mix and they been eating on their own ever since..

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'll tag in a couple of people who know about macaw weaning @Macawnutz @macawpower58

I'm not a macaw person but I suspect that 10 weeks is rather young to start weaning.

Legend88

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Dwayne
I'll tag in a couple of people who know about macaw weaning @Macawnutz @macawpower58

I'm not a macaw person but I suspect that 10 weeks is rather young to start weaning.

Every parrot is an individual, some may wean earlier then others , I dont think that should be a big mystery..

Sodapop&Co.

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Every parrot is an individual, some may wean earlier then others , I dont think that should be a big mystery..
Macaws are big birds and, from what I've heard, often take quite long to wean. It's always good to make sure babies are developing correctly. Hopefully the macaw people will be able to help out. :) Welcome to the forum, @mikamacaw !

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
It's young but the lessening in amount is not unheard of. Just keep offering the food and weighing him every morning.
Keep the vet appointment just in case he does have a little infection which is quite common in young macaws.

Legend88

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Dwayne
Macaws are big birds and, from what I've heard, often take quite long to wean. It's always good to make sure babies are developing correctly. Hopefully the macaw people will be able to help out. :) Welcome to the forum, @mikamacaw !

Caique's usually take around 12 to 16weeks to wean my two started eating on their own at around 10weeks, Their are always exceptions to the rules..

Sunni Tiel

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
Caique's usually take around 12 to 16weeks to wean my two started eating on their own at around 10weeks, Their are always exceptions to the rules..
Yes, but too early is dangerous. Macaws take longer to wean than caiqes.

mikamacaw

Moving in
Real Name
Mika
It's young but the lessening in amount is not unheard of. Just keep offering the food and weighing him every morning.
Keep the vet appointment just in case he does have a little infection which is quite common in young macaws.
I’ve been trying to get it sooner just because I’m worried about a possible infection. He has no other signs of one but I’m still worried of the possibility!

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Macaws often go through a stage where they eat less as they want to be mobile. It is pretty short lived and then they go back to eating again.

mikamacaw

Moving in
Real Name
Mika
I hope he’s just on the faster track of progression! I’m offering him homemade veggie mixes and he hasn’t eaten any, he just plays with it!

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I’ve been trying to get it sooner just because I’m worried about a possible infection. He has no other signs of one but I’m still worried of the possibility!
Of course. Any change is a good reason to make a vet appointment. My sweetie Korbel started this at about 9 weeks old... It was a terrible infection so I know very much how you feel. Just try to be as normal as possible and keep offering that food.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Macaws are a large bird and do not wean as early as smaller birds.

Large macaws in the wild probably are not weaned until 6 to 9 months old, so pet macaws are frequent victims of force-weaning. They are prone to obsessive food begging, with repetitive wing-flicking and macaw begging sound well into adulthood.

Weaning Birds - Yarmouth Veterinary Center
yarmouthvetcenter.com › weaning-birds

My GW weaned at 7 1/2 months and I have known macaws to not wean until they were well over one year old.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
My GW weaned at 8 months of age on his own.
He went from 3, to 2, then a final night feeding.
It sounds like your baby is starting to try those wings out.
Fledging makes a baby slow down on eating for a bit, but do not stop offering!
The feeding does pick back up.
Now is a good time to start offering bits of veggies, fruit, cooked beans, pasta, pellets, etc...
Feed first, and then offer a scattering of the real food.
Most will be played with and wasted, but this is how baby birds learn to eat. Trial and error. ;)

Like the others suggested, a vet through this stage is important. You want to catch any problems early.

Legend88

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Dwayne
I hope he’s just on the faster track of progression! I’m offering him homemade veggie mixes and he hasn’t eaten any, he just plays with it!

Try fruits like apples and oranges etc

mikamacaw

Moving in
Real Name
Mika
My GW weaned at 8 months of age on his own.
He went from 3, to 2, then a final night feeding.
It sounds like your baby is starting to try those wings out.
Fledging makes a baby slow down on eating for a bit, but do not stop offering!
The feeding does pick back up.
Now is a good time to start offering bits of veggies, fruit, cooked beans, pasta, pellets, etc...
Feed first, and then offer a scattering of the real food.
Most will be played with and wasted, but this is how baby birds learn to eat. Trial and error. ;)

Like the others suggested, a vet through this stage is important. You want to catch any problems early.
I’ve been offering and he’s the biggest fan of yellow peppers and strawberries! He hasn’t eaten any yet but I suppose he will soon.
Yes, I booked the appointment with the vet two weeks ago when I got him so he could get checked out ASAP! It sucks that there aren’t many avian vets accepting new patients near me, I wish I could get him checked out sooner.