• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Possible two medium parrots to rehome, not my birds

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Ok, my best friend called me to let me know it appears his step mom is going into early dementia at 80 years old. He said she has two medium sized green parrots they may have to find homes for soon. He said one was mainly green with a yellow head so maybe some sort of yellow headed Amazon and he thought the other one was similar to Dobby, a Maxi Pionus or something.
I have never seen them so all I was told was they are noisy and he doubts any of her family wants them. He is supposed to send me some pics later but was just putting it out there in case I knew anyone that wants them If they have to find a new family. I doubt I have the room for two more birds myself.
I'll update if I get pictures and more information soon.
If this is in the wrong spot or not allowed move it or whatever needs to be done.
They are in the Sandy/Portland area of Oregon.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
You can make room though, right?

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
If I need to I'll figure it out even if it's a safe place to foster till a good family can take them but we'll have to see how it goes on their end.

Gypsy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Denise
Well, you are too far away for me if you have a double yellow head amazon. Shh! Don't tell my husband I am even looking for a 3rd bird. lol

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Well, Haven't heard anything one way or the other but he's probably pretty busy dealing with moms issues and trying to run his computer business.

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Update! his mom isn't getting any better and is now staying with them till they sort out what exactly she needs and her options for a memory care place. I and he will more than likely be going to her duplex in Sandy to get her bed and some things and pick up her critters on Saturday. I will take the birds for a few weeks as we try to sort things out and find homes for them so they'll be in the SE Portland area at my house if this works out like we think at this point. I'll post more as things happen. All I know is my house is going to be full of birds for a while.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
You'll love the Amazon.....

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
They are here. I didn't expect the birds I got but one I believe is a very frightened Sun Conure or similar, Other sorta looks like a Amazon but pretty sure that isn't what she is and she's a little more non frightened and a bit interactive. They both live in tiny cages that have little stands they can sit on and roll around and they smell like cigarettes. I was told she never let them out and the Amazon looking bird has a very long beak that looks like it needs a trim. I'll know more in about 10 days when they hopefully get power of attorney and other things sorted out and they can be found a good home or however it works best for them. They came with seeds and some pellets and looks like they mainly got a seed mix.

Attachments

MeganC

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Megan
The first one is either a sun conure or jenday conure, can't tell from just the head, and the other is a blue crown conure. Edited to add that looking at the first bird again, I am pretty sure that it is a jenday.

Last edited:

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Well thanks for that. The green one is very loud when she's upset but has been calm and quiet since getting here and even took some treats, Though she immediately chucked them. The Jenday is very timid and starts quietly huffing when we look at him. The green gal watched me fill up her food with great interest and ran down and tried what I gave her and is sitting watching the living room. The other one has climbed into his happy hut and refuses to come out
I guess she likes the bigger Conures than and they're so much bigger than Pippen but hopefully her noises help the timid one to open up and come out again. Dobby isn't too concerned yet and doesn't bother them.

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Got a few more shots today. The Sun hides in the happy hut but because I was gone most of the day came out, then I put his cage on the tiny stand so he's off the floor and we'll decide where he lives later for now. The Blue Crown has let me touch her toes, takes treats she likes nicely, and was playing with her bell today and calling to me, I think she was trying to say hi as well.
I think she'll eventually make a deserving person a fine family member with some easy work. The Sun is scared to death and only comes out when he feels safe or nobody is around him and will definetly take a lot of work and patience to trust somebody.

Attachments

MeganC

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Megan
Yeah, that is definitely a Jenday Conure.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I think sun conures are loud. He might have been abused for his vocal attributes. Poor fellow.

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
Yes that is a Jenday, not a Sun Conure.

I adopted a very elderly BlueCrown Conure from Anna when she posted about the "unadoptables" at her rescue. He was a fantastic companion and while he didn't like to be handled, his intelligence and personality impressed me so much that when he passed at about 45 years old I wanted another BCC. I tried at 2 different rescues for several years and just could not find a male. (I didn't want a female because I didn't know if it would affect my male Hahns who gets crazy when hormonal)

On one of my trips to a rescue I noticed a sad and lonely Jenday who had been at the rescue 12 years, and his mate had died a year previous. It was love at first sight. He is very shy in some situations, but very calm, and will step up but dislikes skin. I was offended by his name - "Squawker" and changed it to Walker which he had no trouble with. He does like to hide under his Jellyfish from Oliver's Bird Toys when he's in his cage.

I would not push either of your new friends to step up if they don't want to. They are so smart that they will soon figure out what you want and will go where you ask by pointing or when they know from a routine that it's time to go in the cage. They are very interested in learning the new schedule at your house. They are watching you very closely and figuring you and the routine out.

They both especially loved pieces of nuts, and balsa!
And yes, they can both be very loud at times, but Jendays have a pitch to it that takes some getting used to!

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
The Jenday started screaming and he was louder then the blue crown but for now he mostly stays quiet and runs into his happy hut hissing and huffing if we get close. He's out right now and was munching and watching. The blue crown does a wicked chicken clucking noise and seems very calm and interested in what's going on. She still takes even small treats nicely and just seems way more well adjusted than the Jenday. Pippen seems a bit confused to see two huge cousins show up, Dobby seems not to be too concerned except for them being close to some of his favorite spots. He landed on the green girls cage top and she didn't try to kill him and he didn't bother her but we scooped him up quick just in case. I dealt with Lurch, a very scared and mad at the world Maxi and I let him move at his own pace. I got lots of bites but after a mere 5 years he chose me so I'm not going to push anyone who isn't ready.

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Well buddy's mom isn't getting any better and was moved to a secure memory facility so she won't be going back home. Both these birds are up for adoption by a good home that will love and take care of them. I know they are aware of each other but not sure that they are fully bonded inseparable friends. The Jenday as I've said is completely phobic and scared and will take a lot of time and gentle work to ever be trusting and bonded to anyone. The Blue Crown is getting quite content here and seems to like me and everyone she meets through the bars so far. She clicks, clucks, makes noises, allows gentle foot and tummy touches. They are in Portland Oregon close to 205 and 122nd Powell. I really like the Blue Crown whose name is Kiwi, the Jenday is named Puff and does act kinda like a Dragon.
I'm pretty stocked up with Dobby and Pippen to care for now.