• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Possible sour crop?

Dilla66

Moving in
Hello,

I have two 2 year old conures that have a vinegar smell (without the stinging sensation) coming from their mouths.

I’ve smelt this before from the both of them about 1 year ago, and it was also during their mating season. The male conure is constantly regurgitating into the females mouth and that is the ONLY time I ever smell this vinegary smell.

The smell isnt constant, it comes and goes. The days the male regurgitates is the days I smell it, and the days he doesn’t both of their mouths smell like bird (normal)

So I was wondering if this could possibly be the smell of the males regurgitation? What is regurgitation suppose to smell like?

they’re both on a 80% pellet, and 20% fruit/vegetable diet if that helps.

Note: They are both acting normal, very active, yelling, eating, poops appear normal, etc.. There doesn’t seem to be anything different about how they’re acting.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
That smell is typically yeast. You might want to schedule a vet appointment. This has been my experience. Scheduling your checkups during peak hormones season isn't a bad idea.