• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Possible neurological damage after falling

olivia

Checking out the neighborhood
I've started to notice that my lovebird has started to fly kind of wonky.

This started to happen after my bird fell from a hanging basket in my room(about a 2 meter fall) she did a flip when falling and landed on her belly, wings slightly splayed out. I scooped her up, she didn't seem dazed and was very aware. I place her on the bottom of her cage on a heating pad and had her relax for the rest of the day.
I noticed that after shes been flying for a while her ability to fly straight lessens and starts to fly in a butterfly effect. Just today she almost didn't manage to land from what looked like a spasm mid flight. Ive also noticed when shes not flying and just standing(on a flat surface as an example) she'll shake/lift one wing, shake her head, scratch her face then almost lose balance when scratching. Im not sure if the falling over is normal or if the wing shaking is normal because of the pin feathers shes growing or some under lying problem.

Besides this she's still the same as before the fall, no change in personality, has a good appetite, growing feathers, and very loud

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The best thing to do is to take her to a vet and have her checked out. Could be neurological, could be something else. Hope all will be well. Do take her to the vet and keep us updated.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
If she landed on her belly, she could have broken or bruised her keel bone. That could be serious. She is most likely in pain and you should take her to the vet to get pain meds for her.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Please see a avian vet asap