• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Possible Mites?

ploovonik

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
E
image0.jpg

He's been doing this for a few hours and then calms down and slowly preens himself around the area and then forgets about it, but then starts getting pissed again. I don't know what to do. Instant vet? And should I show them this video? Or allergies?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Something is definitely going on. Not sure if it’s mites, hormones or new feathers annoying him?
@Mizzely @Monaco ?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Aww poor guy. The photo is unclear... Looks like clipped feathers? If not, could be mite eggs (though they are usually along the feather shaft.

I would say vet regardless as something is clearly bothering him.

ploovonik

Real Name
E
Something is definitely going on. Not sure if it’s mites, hormones or new feathers annoying him?
@Mizzely @Monaco ?
Yeah, I panicked. I think he's just molting, but I got him an appointment for tomorrow. I checked under his wing and all the areas he’s obsessively preening, but can’t find anything with my normal eyes.

It's been going on for about a day and a half now I believe? We've had him for going on two weeks.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Hopefully you’ll have all the answers after he sees the vet. Let us know how your appointment goes :)

ploovonik

Real Name
E
Update on the situation, previous owners HORRIBLY clipped him on one wing only. They will be able to grow back, but it’ll take a very long time. I am reporting her to the city for the situation all those other birds were in as well, thankful we saved him but feel extremely sorry for everyone else. Besides that he’s very healthy, no mites or worms. But we are getting some blood tests to rule out things for the future.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Although I am totally against clipping I suggest you ask the vet to clip the remaining wing for safety sake. It’s bad enough to make flying difficult fir him but making it so it’s uncontrollable is dangerous and quite an old practice. Being able to at least balance is better than being lop sided.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm glad he is okay. :)

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran