• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Possible mites?

Ray_Ray

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ray
I might be overthinking this but since both of my birds are sick and not improving for over 1 and half month of treatment, I think it could be possible mites. Here is why I say this:

I got a new budgie 2 months ago named Rio, now 5 month old. Rio used to share his cage with canaries and with other baby budgies. On the second or third week my budgie Bella flew inside of his cage when I wasn't looking, I got her out very quickly. The next day Bella started showing symptoms. She has FM. Her vocal changed then a week later she started to have breathing issues. She has been on antibiotics for respiratory infection ever since and on nebulizer treatment from yesterday. Her breathing is better now but still not 100%. She has stop chirping and when she does it sounds hoarse. She is very very itchy. She is mainly and constantly itching her head and leg. She fluffs up and ruffles her feathers. Other then that she is fine. Her poop, eating and drinking are all fine.

Rio is currently going through his first molt and I saw a feather drop this morning and noticed these on his feathers. Zoom into the pictures and please tell me what you think. Could this be mites? Rio is also not that vocal. He does chirp but his volume is pretty low. I have also noticed a bit of discoloration (red dots) near his vent on both side of the bird. Rio is not active bird. Rio urate and feces are fine but he has a lot of urine and it is green. He eats ALOT but does not gain any weight...He eat every veg and/or fruit that I give him on top of his pellets and seeds.

Please zoom into the pictures and please tell me what you think. There is no way Bella could just have caught something out of the blue...Event though she has FM, she is a super healthy bird and can fly so well.

Thank you for reading this

Attachments

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
The feathers definitely look like they have mites.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I don't know. I just know that looks like little bugs or eggs.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Sorry, I'm not experienced with mites. They generally show up on little birds and I had macaws.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I believe a way tell is to put white paper on the bottom of your birds' cages at night and if there are little dark specks on it in the morning, it's probably mites. I was also told that mites should be treated by a vet.

Ray_Ray

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ray
Both of my birds has little dark specks.....I can see it very clearly when Bella is constantly scratching herself.
What are the treatment? do I need to take them to the vet?

dollfish

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Zeynep Dollfish
+1 yes mites vote. I'm only experienced with mites on plants but thee definitely look like something.

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
Yes, I recommend a vet visit. The vet will be able to confirm it is mites and get you the best medicine to treat it. There are topical mite treatments as well as options that can be added to soft food or water.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yes, see your vet about these. A vet will be able to advise the best way to treat mites in a bird. Don't buy any over-the-counter treatments, like sprays etc. These are often intended for dogs and cats and can be harmful to your bird. You have to have the right strength of the treatment and correct way of delivering it.

You should also ask your vet about treating the cage and perches.

Ray_Ray

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ray
I send them an email with the pictures and the vet thinks its lice rather then mites.
They recommended Johnson mites spray or Xeno mite spray. I am ordering them now, any other recommendation you guys think I can do?

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I dont know those sprays, but when I am treating the bird I also treat the room/bedding/etc. so if those cannot be sprayed around, try Avian Insect Liquidator (which can be sprayed on the bird as well as the area).

Good luck!